Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Odd tuners

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 1bad914, Oct 12, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I ordered a set of Fender OEM tuners. Drilled the holes for the alignment pegs. Started to do a dry fit and...... IMG_4857.JPG
    ...one of these things is not like the other

Anyone had this happen? 2 of the 4 are the right size, 4 are short. Back they go to amazon.

2. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I should have known something was wrong. The “original “ packaging looked stapled together. The worst part is they are telling me 11/30 delivery for the replacement. Lol

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Are they staggered tuners? I never had a set myself, but I guess they vary in height.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19548-a-players-guide-to-tuning-keys?page=2

Staggered-height posts. If you have a flat headstock with six tuners in a single row—like those on a Fender—think about upgrading to tuners that have staggered-height posts. On most guitars, staggered-height tuners eliminate the need for string trees, and this too can improve tuning stability—especially on guitars with whammy bars. Staggered tuners typically have posts in three sizes: strings 1 and 2 take the shortest posts, strings 3 and 4 take the medium ones, and strings 5 and 6 use the tallest.

4. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    They were not sold as that. Hrrmmm

5. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Staggered height in my experience are usually 2/2/2 with the high strings getting the lowest posts. The idea is to increase the downforce at the nut without having to use string trees. I've heard of 3/3 configurations, but not 4 long, 2 short. The Sperzels I have on my strat range in height about the same as what you have pictured there but with an intermediate height for the d/g strings.

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    What is that neck. It appears you have a staggered set and a too thick neck. tuners.jpg

7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    It just looks that way. It is a normal neck. IMG_4860.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG

8. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    It must a staggered set like that pictured above.

9. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Dude... the tops of the posts aren't even the same shape. That's not staggered. That's just a screw up.

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.

10. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I saw that right away. Thought the same thing.

11. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    Then I look on Sweetwaters site and see this. IMG_4861.JPG

12. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2016
    Arkansas
    On the Sweetwater site, the description says:

Fender American Standard Series Tuning Machines Features:
    • Set of 6
    • Chrome Finish, Staggered-height Array
    • Fender American Standard Series Tuning Machines
    • Used on the American Standard and American Series guitars
    So it appears that they are staggered like that purposefully. It does seem weird though.:confused:

13. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I went back to my Amazon order and I got exactly what I ordered. The very buried description states they are staggered. I guess I did not need the OEM string trees. I will still use them. Sorry for the mix up. My fault.

14. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    OBTW The tops of the pegs are different on purpose.

15. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I bought a set on Reverb that were just like that. I was a bit tweaked at first. Then, I looked into it and that's exactly the way they're supposed to be. Mine were 2/4, also.

BTW, in the one pic you posted, the peg that is lower has the washer upside down. I couldn't let that go. Bugged me. Lol. Now I feel better.

LutherBurger likes this.

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's not uncommon to find thicker headstocks these days... the additional mass stabilizes the headstock against energy dispersion as the string vibrates, this results in improved sustain, and a louder output, generally regarded as improved tone...

a small price to pay for the shorter looking tuner posts..

Ron Kirn

1bad914 likes this.

17. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    You are correct. I was about half asleep when I did that. Now that I know these are correct as is I will finish my dry fit. Take it all off and put the finish on.

reddy2300 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.