Odd and Even Street Addresses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 18, 2019.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The interwebs is no help, contradictory info. In the closest town, Rehoboth, Southside and Eastside are even. How about your home town?

2. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One side of the street is odd, the other even. In rural areas your house number is a function of how far along the road from the start of the road you are.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the two addresses I've had here are any indication, the North and East of any given street are odd, South and West are even.

Tommy Biggs and Teleterr like this.
  4. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel TDPRI Member

North and West even, South and East odd.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In Ft Worth.....West and North are even numbers.....East and South are odd. The only exception would be if a street "winds" (or curves) around, so that the North side of a street (where it begins) becomes the East.

Teleterr likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Everywhere I've ever been in the US... and I've happened to take noticed... odds are on one side of the street, evens are on the other side of the street.

Best of my memory, I've never encountered a street in the US that did not follow that template.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I sure wish I could remember where in New England this was, but the numbers were given out more or less at random, first come first served. Older village; Massachusetts I think?

We're switching over to GPS, so be ready, folks.

Teleterr likes this.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

We're about half a mile down the road from a major road and our house number is 299, maybe we are almost .3 miles down the street?

Teleterr likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Can't comment on EVERYWHERE, but around here, the address "interval" (3201, 3205, 3209 etc.) are determined by the "lot divisions" and not necessarily by "distance" between addresses. The general number interval is four, like my example above. So whether there is fifty feet between building lines or one hundred fifty feet, the house numbers would "probably" be a difference of four digits. A possible exception could be if it was likely there could be "sub-divisions" of lots in the future. It is my understanding that this is usually left to the developer to determine. The Fire Department often has final say, in that they have guidelines for emergency response requirements.
    Here in Ft Worth, a development was created in the sixties, called Wedgewood. The developer wanted to use all street names beginning with "W". As the area grew (explosively) it became VERY confusing with too many similarities in names.....Wedgemont Rd, Wedgemont Lane, Wedgemont St.....etc. The Fire Department finally stepped in and put a stop to it, it was impossible to get a good location description (pre-911/GPS days) for emergency calls........end of lesson! ;)

Teleterr likes this.
  10. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Local rules seem to apply, meaning there is no standard ...

Teleterr likes this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Probably the case . I noticed Rehoboth has evens on the opposite side of the rest on one of their shorter streets.
    A couple of years ago Sussex county did new 5 didget Emergency Response numbers. My neighbor has his on a lawn sign, me my garage, but UPS leaves 1/2 of his many packages on my steps.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My bass player lives at 5829 X Dr. There is a 5829 X Ct just down the street and around the corner. At the Ct. address there is a fence with a gate big enough for a car, but no building. The Dial-A-Ride drivers I use were going to the wrong address until I got the dispatchers straightened out. I think it was a case something like the Fort Worth deal nojazzhere mentioned. "Let's name all the streets X!"

Luckily when the bass player caught his house on fire the fire department came to the right place, but then they had smoke signals to help them find it.

nojazzhere and Teleterr like this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

All my development's streets are trees, but at least they re not way...street...circle...road...ave...etc w the same name.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I lived on a Circle that had a North and a South.

Teleterr likes this.
  15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

lol, the DC beltway finially got smart and went w "inner and outter loop" I guess you couldn t do clockwise,counterwise now-a-days.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, the Department of Transportation needs to reconsider how we designate I-240 Westbound where the road is actually going North and South. Very confusing.

What I think is weird is when California (for instance) has segments of CA 25 that are non-continuous unless you're sneaking a moped through Pinnacles National Park. They couldn't bring themselves to bulldoze out the very narrow passageway. The correct solution is to use two separate Highway numbers, at least one of which is no longer 25.

One thing we see out West in places like Albu and Phoenix, etc., are these platted out roads called 275 and One Half Road. That's silly. I like what Kansas City did when there's 37th Terrace between 37 and 38th Streets (0r Avenues).

Teleterr likes this.
  17. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

In the UK generally odds on one side, even on the other although sometimes they just run in a row ( especially in cul dear sacs/ no through roads). Sometimes there is no house number 13 ( houses go 11, 15,17) and there are a few house that are 0 although generally the first is number 2. You can find houses without a number, not uncommon in small villages that the oldest houses were never numbered.

I don't know the reason for it other than it's traditional, seems to be stolen from the French like a lot of 18th/19th century British ideas.

As US house numbers go much higher than UK ones I googled the highest one here - 2679 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath. That's not that far from where I live, perhaps I'll go have a look one day.

Edit: generally the first number is 1, I meant 2 will be the first on the even side of the street ( assuming that 0 would be considered as an even I guess).

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Teleterr and AAT65 like this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I went to Japan in 2005 and was surprised that the numbering system for buildings was not sequential.

Can anybody here explain Japanese street addresses?

Teleterr likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

with the local authorities IE city hall the planning department assigns the addressing and Yes its usually south/west odd, North/east even the post office will assign a postal range to a given number of individual addresses , eg an apartment with 40 or more units will get its own postal or zip code , but usually it applies to an addressing range and if the planning department allows for future growth you will notice the the addresses are in Ascending or Descending order but with gaps in the addressing schemeto allow for future occupancy.

in Canada we use what id known as an FSA or Forward Sortation Area, (first 3 digits of the postal coade ) eg. a code starting V0E indicates an outlying city area V indicates British Columbia, the last 3 digits indicates the refind delivery scheme (LDU -Local Delivery Unit) indicates the already mentioned street range

for the states a five digit scheme (Zip code ) does the same with the first 2 digits indicating the forward sortation area and the last 3 digits indicating the final delivery range eg 90 -210

Teleterr likes this.
  20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can pick any number between 32 and 47 along my dirt road... the numbers work on how far you are from the start of the road, 320M to 470M....... I have a long front boundary and the letter box is on the 320 end near my driveway.......

in the city it's usually sequential and odd/even on different sides....

Teleterr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.