Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

OD wire

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by alexso, Feb 14, 2013.

1. alexso

alexso TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2013
    France
    Hi

i just have a look to the od wire values. Od wire is a function of the AWG.

But in fact, if i calculate with a 42 AWG wire the value doesn't fit with the value that we can find for the stratocaster pickup for example.
    More, if we look to the different years Od wire values vary.

What doest it mean, someone could could try an explanation ?

Regards,

Alex

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    i have no clue as to what yer talking about. perhaps this is a language thingy.

pickup copper coil wire is insulated. the awg numbers (42, 43, etc) refer to the bare copper od diameter, these numbers don't vary by much. wire insulation types vary in thickness and more insulation means a larger overall od for a given coil wire, and less turn count for a given bobbin footprint size. the footprint of a tele bridge pup bobbin is much larger than any strat bobbin, and for a given rod magnet length more wire will pack into the tele than the strat. turn count is the chief determiner of "tone" and volume.

3. alexso

alexso TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2013
    France
    great, it's now clear for me

thanks a lot :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    you are most welcome, sir! glad to be of service!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.