OC Duff reviews

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dogfootblues, Apr 14, 2013.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: A friend of mine just ordered a set and was told he'd have it in 3 weeks... I guess it depends on when you order and how backed up he is.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ive ordered from Duff, and had them within a week and up to about 8 weeks.

3. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

So how are the Blackguards, can you give a little review? Im ibterested in these n the whiteguards

4. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I bought a set of O.C. Duff Guardsmans for one Tele, and on Owen's advice had the neck pickup wound to 7.8k and the bridge wound to 8.1k. This made them perfect for "at home" volumes, and the sound is amazing.

I also have one of his Planksters (9.8k) in my partcaster/Esquire and it's great.

He was good to deal with, gave me lots of info by phone and by email, and both orders, arrived a few days early. What was really cool though, is that he told me that if I wasn't satisfied, he'd rewind them for free.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I meant to say Guardsman instead of Blackguards. I have them in a CVC and I like em alot. The bridge sound is nice and thick but still twangs when you need it to. I use the middle position with slapback for my pseudo Gretsch rockabilly/Travis picking thing. I have a 4 way switch so I can get a thicker blues vibe with the pickups in series. I agree with H Mac with regards to contacting Owen and seeking his advice. Tell him what you are looking for and I'm sure he'll help you out.

elementfrvr likes this.
  6. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

When I got the Duff I had, it seems like it took about two months to arrive, which was no big deal- I was prepared for the wait, and it was within the time frame Owen told me to expect when I placed the order.

Now that this thread has put it back in my mind, I think part of my ambivalence toward that pickup was the mental buildup, the idea of how utterly amazing it was going to be when I got it- I was so prepared for it to be this magical thing that living up to my expectations was a pretty tall order. After two months of buildup waiting for it...it was pretty good, but...meh. It just sounded like a decent Tele bridge pickup.

7. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

I can relate to that, but that's more our fault than Owen's. ;)

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Colt, I know you're a fan of the Duncan JD as well. How would you compare the Plankster?

The JD is staying in my Esquire, but I'm looking for a new bridge pup for my Tele and want something a little different.

9. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

For sure.

One kinda complaint about the one I had was that I'd asked for the absolute minimum of potting- I like a certain amount of microphony. The pickup I got had the bejeezus potted out of it. That may have been part of my disappointment with it, but it's been a long time since I replaced that one with a Fezzter Flat 5, so there's that.

I do recall it being pretty good- just not quite what I was expecting, and being my first encounter with having something made for me, I probably didn't articulate what I was after as well as I could now. Well,maybe- talking about pickups is a bit like...I dunno. It's hard!

FWIW, when I ordered the Nancy, Owen only had maybe two or three basic Tele bridge variants. He offers way more stuff now. I wouldn't mind looking into Owen's stuff again. As has been said before here, he seemed like a really nice fella and the build quality was very, very good.

Seems like anymore there are too many good choices for pickups and not enough time or Teles to put 'em in! I'm trying to come to a decision on a replacement Esquire pickup for a '10 MIM I bought a few months ago, and compared to just four or five years ago, there's enough stuff out there to make your head spin! I think I've narrowed that one down to a Cavalier, a JD, or maybe something made for me locally by Scarlett Amplification's own Paul Marchman, who started winding stuff a couple months back...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.