Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Observing a couple tele anniversaries

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CJM3309, Sep 14, 2018.

1. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    To start this is purely an excuse to post pictures. But, this September marks 10 years with my project, mutt partscaster and 5 years with my AV64 tele. These are both smile every time you pick them up guitars for me.

The AV64 is stock except for a brass saddle. I put a small gouge in one of the grooves in the threaded saddle and used brass for a place holder. The other saddle is fixed, just haven't put it back on. I also have no clue if the brass effects the sound. I just know it sounds good regardless and has such a great neck.

The partscaster started my wannabe luthier journey and it has turned out to be a great guitar. I learned set ups, soldering, plugging neck holes and re-drilling them, installing a bigsby, removing a bigsby, etc with this one but I think its finally set as an esquire.

Again, purely an excuse to post pics so here we go. Thanks!
    20180909_112708.jpg 20180909_112917.jpg 20180909_113239.jpg 20180909_112817.jpg

2. d barham

d barham TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    Happy televersary X2.

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Great pair, I love them both. Enjoy!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

5. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    That mutt looks really cool man

El Tele Lobo likes this.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Happy Televersary! I really dig that Esquire. How did you do the finish on the body?

7. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    That was just a Mighty Mite body finished in Minwax stain. The only prep on the body was sanding and I cannot remember how many coats of stain there were. How it looks is how that wood wanted to take that stain. It's not uniform in color, but I like it. I used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil for the final finish. It might be 5 or 6 coats. I went with simple for my first time.

nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.

8. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice. I used straight Tru-Oil on my first build. I really like that stain though. Do you remember what color it was?

9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.

10. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Here's some picks of how mine came out. Straight Tru-Oil. 30 coats on the body. 15 on the neck. Used a couple coats of Birchwood-Casey Sealer/Filler as a base. Here's some pics, since we're sharing:

Jazzbo new pup 3.jpg

Jazzbo new pup 2.jpg

nicod98 and Fendereedo like this.

11. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    El Tele Lobo I love the reverse esquire! I would be interested to try/hear that thing. What pickup is in there? The natural finish looks great too.

As far as the stain goes it was just a red Minwax from Home Depot. Nothing fancy or special order. I'll see if I can figure the exact name/color out.

nicod98 likes this.

12. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you. Originally it had a Lollar El Rayo humbucker...but I recently replaced it with the TV Jones T-90 you see here. I think it's what they call their English Mount...it fits in a humbucker slot (you need to use their pickup ring though). I did a sound demo on my channel.

This is with the Lollar El Rayo:

This is with the TV Jones T-90 (before I got a proper TV Jones mounting ring...they fit snuggly and are a little wide for a standard humbucker ring):

They were both nice pickups. I found the Lollar a little bright and tended to hang out on the lower end of the tone dial. The TV Jones gives me a wider range of sounds and sounds warmer and fuller across the tone spectrum. More useable tones!

I'm not the greatest jazz player, but hopefully it at least helps you hear the sound of the pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.