Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Oak body tele with an ash neck.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Apr 3, 2017.

1. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    My understanding is oak is not considered a great tone wood. Keep in mind that if you look around here, you will see people using all kinds of wood for guitars including MDF, plywood, OSB, left over laminate flooring and even that particle board from a kitchen counter. There are also guitars made from things like carbon fiber, aluminum and old road signs. I'm sure oak will be just fine.
    Unless you are doing an a/b comparison with a custom $5k guitar at a sound lab, it probably won't matter.
    More importantly, oak looks amazing when finished. I am looking forward to pics of the final product here.

24 track likes this.

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha

I'm not sure but i think you can order them either way. the nut radius (meaning the bottom of the nut) should simply match the slot, and you can cut it any way you want (or any way that you can cut it in any case) :)

3. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    So I'm using a wrap around bridge. Rather than angling the neck pocket can I just subtract the difference from the depth I route. So the next just sits a little higher in the pocket.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I used a tuna-matic on one and I countersunk the bridge adjustment wheels and used a standard neck pocket depth so it would feel more like playing a tele. The strings are at the same height above the body as a tele bridge.

5. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Been a bit busy so I haven't got much done. Got a lace pick up for it, and a wrap around bridge. Came across a good deal on some Birdseye maple so I decided to do a maple neck instead of an ash neck. Figuared that would help with the weight too. Should hopefully make some progress this weekend. Right now my house smells like cookies and a campfire(the old lady loves the smell). I'm testing some scrap maple in the oven. So far not a lot of warping. So there's a good chance it'll be a roasted birdeye maple neck. Has anyone roasted a fretboard? I got two maple ones from stewmac. I'm worried about warping on wood so thin.

6. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    So I made some progress. Decided to make a truss rod jig. Made my life easy. Necks ready to glue the fretboard down. Debating on baking the neck. I tried a scrap and it barely moved. But I'd hate to have a half completed neck go to the trash.

Attached Files:

7. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    I love the idea of an oak guitar build, as I have a bunch of 4"x6"x10' kiln-dried oak.
    And, I'm not talking 4x6 nominal. I'm talking actual measured width and thickness.

8. jmoore65

jmoore65 Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2007
    Oz
    According to Wikipedia:

"The neck was constructed from wood from a "hundred-year-old-ish" fireplace mantel that a friend of the family was about to throw away. The neck was hand-shaped into the desired form, a job that was made more difficult by the age and quality of the wood. According to May, there are worm holes in the neck of the guitar that he filled in with matchsticks.

The neck was finished with a 24-fret oak fingerboard. Each of the position inlays was hand shaped from a mother-of-pearl button. May decided to position them in a personal way: two dots at the 7th and 19th fret and three at the 12th and 24th.

The body was made from oak from an old table, blockboard (strips of softwood sandwiched between two plywood skins) and mahogany veneer; the final result was technically a semi-acoustic guitar – the central block is glued to the sides and covered with two mahogany sheets to give it the appearance of a solid-body guitar. It was originally intended that the guitar would have f-holes but this was never done."

(edited to remove reference links)

9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    My oak body under work, made from 6 stripes of oak IMG_1592.JPG

h2odog likes this.

10. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm going to speculate that it's because you can probably get Ash cheaper than Oak when it comes to industrial production. Oak is used EVERYWHERE these days - cabinets, furniture, molding, etc. Ash appears less often. It's used in furniture, but is nowhere near as popular as oak and pine/

That and Ash is more neutral in color than the common Red Oak, so you can stain it with a variety of colors and it doesn't look odd.

Again, I'm speculating. I'm personally interested in making an oak guitar mainly because it is so commonly available.

Once I get going on making stuff, I've thought seriously about making an Upnorthcaster from the wood from my mother-in-law's property. She's selling her 40+ acres because it is too difficult to maintain during the winters. I have a few pieces - oak and pine - that were milled on the property, and I took them home. Was planning to make a guitar out of them. I think I'll probably do that for the nostalgia value (when I get done with my current projects), then give it to her when I am done, assuming that I don't ruin them.

24 track likes this.

11. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

I did an oak strat build several years ago out of an old church pew. I called it a Pew-caster. I did the neck and all from the pew. It has great sustain and sound. I required a ton of grain filling. At 13 lbs the owner seldom plays it on the stage. If I had to do it over I would do a total bath tub route and chamber as much as possible.
    1493760959582.jpg [ 1493761033978.jpg ATTACH=full]423473[/ATTACH] 1493761003076.jpg

Attached Files:

12. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    All of my guitar builds were non swamp ash bodies and heavy, but they balance really well and sound full. I'd say go for it.

13. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Now I just need some time. I work on mowers and outdoor equipment so I'm super busy. And my sons almost 11 months old. My hands have been pretty full the last few weeks.

fenderchamp likes this.

14. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I have two of these ready. So hopefully their will be no movement this time around. Maple with mahogany in the middle and the grains running opposite.

Attached Files:

fenderchamp likes this.

15. fenderchamp

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    have two of these ready. So hopefully their will be no movement this time around. Maple with mahogany in the middle and the grains running opposite.

Cool! are you planning on putting a veeneer on the headstock face or displaying the stripes?

16. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

Very little of it was oak actually, just the fretboard(painted black and an insert in the body)...I'm not an expert on much in the guitar world... but THAT guitar I know VERY well, being an inaugural member of the Brian May World forum and a certified "anorak"(nutjob with no life and totally devoted to the slightest minutiae about that guitar.) In fact, my first built guitar in 7th grade wood shop was a Red Special... which makes me, possibly, the first person apart from Guild to have built an RS in the us. It was crap.

They have this stuff there. imagine laminated shelving pine at HD with a lauan top and back. He cut out 2 rectangles of the stuff and on one, he cut out the center and added 4 inches of 3/4 oak.He screwed it together and cut out the shape. unscrewed it and cut out the 2 tone chambers and cavities. There is a small block of oak that holds the knife edge of the tremolo.

Mahogany veneer for the top back and sides.

neck is old mahogany mantelpiece.

I even know what glues he used to pot the pickups "araldite", to glue the body... cascamite(our closest equivalent is resorcinol)

See? geekdom...

newb

PS: His guitar was finished in a two pack epoxy coating called Rustins... I spoke with Ronnie Rustin something like 17 years ago when I first arrived in AZ. He talked about his glue for something like 2 hours.. gave me the whole spiel about its origins as a WW1 wooden plane glue. A truly sweet,giving man. If he were still alive I'd buy him a round or 10 if I ever got to that side of the pond.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2017

17. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Update! I finally have a neck ready to be shaped. Pictures coming soon!

18. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha

19. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    So it's been a little bit since I gave an update. I got a 64 magnatone m10 amp that works for 20 bucks. That motivated me to get more done today. Now I do have a question. I was waiting to make pickup holes and drill the the bridge holes but I want them centered. I have a little bit of play in the neck pocket. Should I finish the body first then attach the neck or attach then neck then finish the body.

Attached Files:

fenderchamp likes this.

20. fenderchamp

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha

pixes of yon amp??

If it was me, since the neck pocket is cut, I'd at least attach the neck with a clamp and lay my template out on the body and kind of look at things a bit before I did anything else. not that I know much about anything.

Do you have any tales or pictures of the trials and tribulations of fretting that neck?

Btw the grain on that body is super nice!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.