Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Oak body tele with an ash neck.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    So I messed up on my last build by being cheap and poor wood supplier choices. This time I found a local guy who guts down local trees and dries them for wood working. I picked up some nice ash that's quarter saw and very dense. And for the body I got some nice oak. Just made a router sled and have my templates almost finished. Hopefully it will work out this time.

Attached Files:

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Beautiful piece of wood. Great start!

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Friend of Leo's

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Never heard of an Ash neck before, not sure why not, but I'll be watching.

MoMo_the_Peach likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Should be interesting, but that oak body will likely be extremely heavy. Best luck to ya. Keep us posted...

6. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    It's going to be a heavy guitar, but that's fine with me. I rarely play standing up anyway. Since my blank was 2.75in tall my jigsaw wasn't long enough to cut through the whole thing. I had to route out the body shape. I definitely don't recommend that. The oak was really hard to route, a very slow prossess. Here are some updates.

Attached Files:

7. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have alway wondered why Oak is never used for a guitar body but never got a suitable answer . I built one my self many moons ago and put a maple neck with an ebony fret board on it one of my absolute favorites to play,

P1011377_2.JPG

I'm really curious how this come out for you looks beautiful from here,
    Im always impressed by the talent on this site!

SteveO, tintag27, mrz80 and 3 others like this.
  8. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Holic

I'd guess chambering is out of the question since you don't have a jig saw big enough to cut the blank you probably don't have a band saw big enough to slice the body into back and front halves.

But yeah, that's a beautiful piece of oak you've got there!!!

9. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I would love to chamber it. But this is only my second build. Don't really have the funds for nice equipment. Plus I only paid 15 dollars for this oak.

flyingbanana likes this.
  10. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I was surprized at how much mine weighed its not that heavey at all , my 78' strat is 11.5 lbs and is killer heavey ( A sit down player for sure) , my Les paul is heavey but this is not bad at all.

Anniballe likes this.
  11. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    This weighs just under 7 pounds. No cavities or the neck pocket have been routed. And I still have a lot of sanding to go. Body thickness is around 2in at the moment. That should drop some weight. What size bit to you guys use to round the edges of the body. Will 3/16ths work?

12. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    That ash neck ain't gunna be light either. But with another quarter in off the body that'll save some weight.

Have you thought about doing a smuggler route?

13. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I really don't like pick guards and plastic on my guitars. My plan is to do a tune o matic or wrap around bridge and only have Control knobs on the front. While on that subject, is there a way to get rid of a switch setup and only have a turn knob to switch between and blend pickups?

14. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Here's the ash for the neck. I've heard ash can warp easy. Do you think I'll have an issue with grain going up and down?

tacomamc likes this.
  15. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
  16. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    are you going to put a belly bevel on it that would cut down the weight even more?

17. edvard

edvard Tele-Meister

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I've often wondered that myself, and got lots of different answers. The usual answers are "If it were good for guitars it would have been done already", which is no answer at all, or "Oak is heavy". Yes Oak tends to be dense and heavy, though the open-ness of the grain can yield some lighter planks. Using Oak as a top for my build, I can say a few things; the grain hardness can vary across any given plank, so it tends to go wavy unless you're good with block sanding, and the end grain is even worse. Not that it likes to chip out during routing (I've found pine and fir are worse for that), just takes a lot of elbow grease and grain filler to get smooth. Being so hard and dense, it also likes to splinter (at least mine did...) and crack, so be careful about that.
    ALL THAT SAID, I think Oak is a fine wood for guitar, just be prepared to do a bit more work on it, and don't be surprised if it ends up looking like furniture. :p

Personally, I prefer anything over 1/4" up to 1/2". Smaller than that feels like a plank edge to me. Maybe that's what you want, I dunno. Also, make sure your bits are nice and sharp; Oak is pretty hard stuff.

24 track likes this.
  18. MoMo_the_Peach

MoMo_the_Peach TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Australia
    Nothing a panel saw, some elbow grease and a hand plane won't take care of.

19. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    $15 ?!?! Run dont walk back and get all they have. The two side pieces appear to be quartersawn. Can't tell about the center piece.

These two both have quartersawn oak tops. You can achieve a really warm look with the right finishes. Not saying i did, but it can be done.
    [​IMG]

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    My answer would be

A: it's very heavy

B: it's kind of a pain in the butt to finish, because it requires a ton of grain filling to get it level.

No reason why it could not make a nice guitar if you took those things into consideration, but both together would deter from using oak

24 track likes this.
  21. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    My only concern would be grain filling the ash. I wouldn't want any feeling of grain whatsoever when playing it. It'll look nice but wouldn't be my first choice for a neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.