Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nylon vs. Tortex Rigidity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by h4ck.b0x7, Oct 1, 2017.

1. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Has anybody found a rigidity ratio between Tortex and Nylon in like pick shapes?

For example, I really like the Eric Johnson Jazz III picks made of nylon. Which thickness Tortex Jazz III is most like the aforementioned nylon pick in respect to rigidity?

2. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Rigidity ratio? Why don't you just buy a few picks in different thicknesses and try them out. They cost like nothing.

Georox and Piggy Stu like this.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Your choice... Soft attack or hard attack

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    What does rigidity indicate?

In the past, I thought a stiff / rigid pick would give me a very sharp attack. I looked around and bought a few anodized aluminum picks; very stiff, and unbendable (in playing conditions). It did not give me the sharp, crisp attack I thought it would. My attack sounds better / is crisper with a Fender medium. I think it has more to do with style than material.

Nylon and Tortex have different factors that affect sound rather than just stiffness; static friction and kinetic friction values play large here as well. I think @rooboo has the right idea; spend a dollar or two and get a few. You might like them, you might hate them, who knows.

Then again, maybe I am just speaking out my [backside] and you are asking for a different reason...

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Every time I glance at this post, I see it as "heart". :lol:

uriah1 likes this.

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I've found i like harder picks. It's counter intuitive but it seems like I don't get stuck in the strings as much. No tortex will be as stiff as the nylon jbiii. Purple I think is the stiffest.

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    It depends on the gauge of strings and the brand of course. :rolleyes:

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Tele1966 and rooboo like this.

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Rigidity? Uh... I like the Tortex picks, the yellow ones. Once I discovered those, my pick search was done. FWIW, I think the Tortex is more rigid.

11. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Heck, I'm using a pick-punch a pal gave me as a present.
    Credit cards, Xfinity's fake credit cards, gift cards - varied density and fwappiness.
    The punching process leaves a slightly raspy edge, but they smooth out easily on the side of a pair of new-ish Levis, top or bottom of any carpet or leave 'em rough.
    No Bison-horn, pesos, ivory or unobtanium-based magick-picks for me. . .
    Peace - Deeve

12. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ

13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    In the app, you see the video preview; on a PC, you see a link to Science Magazine. I did it on a PC, not realizing the app preview kills the joke. Sorry ‘bout that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.