Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

NWD

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Jan 6, 2016.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Did you ask about the price of the flitches behind you guys in the picture??

Glad you got some wood Herb! :D:D

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY

No , didn't ask John , just by the looks of them I knew they weren't in my price zone

John Nicholas likes this.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Ha . They could have been Richard , either way , $1,000,000. or $500 per flitch they still weren't going home with me :D

6. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I would probably get the same lecture Helmut . All I mentioned was "Lumberyard" :lol:

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Cut some of the longer lengths down to blank sizes and sealed the ends , makes it easier to store it .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 one piece slabs in the second picture are 14" x 20" x 2.25" , it was in the sugar pine bin at the lumberyard but I knew it wasn't sugar pine , the guys there said it was southern yellow pine , I thought it was white pine and still do , its very light weight , I would estimate it will make under a 4lbs body , not as light as sugar pine but no where near as heavy as the yellow pine I've worked with , its very white , as white pine would be , no pitch or sap to it . It only had the one knot in it , and that will be off cut when its machined into a body

RogerC, DrASATele, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wow, nice haul, Herb.
    But who's the old guy in . . . Aw, never mind, wore that one out!
    Did Helmut come home with any wood prizes?

I've never hefted a lightweight piece of Southern Pine, and don't think you could mistake it for white or sugar pine. Having had less experience with both I'm not sure I could tell White from sugar pine, neither is native here so don't see much of them. SYP has always seemed too splintery to me to do much with it, except for construction.

What do you paint the ends with, to seal them?

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Rick , yea , it will keep me in sawdust for a while . Who's what old guy ?? :lol:
    Helmut did get a few small pieces , he also hunted through the figured walnut cutoff box and found me that nice piece , while I was drooling over the cherry and ash racks .
    I am about positive that the pine is white pine , sugar pine in my experience is lighter weight and not as light colored as white pine and has a finer grain to it . Like you I've never seen or handled a light weight piece of yellow pine . Comparing to a piece of known white pine I have here and its identical in coloration and grain and weight .
    I just give the ends a good slathering with Bullseye Sealcoat , I generally do that with all my blanks , it seems that it does the trick , I've never had any split or check at the ends where it would be most common for them to do so .

10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Yup, got 2 shorts of Philippine mahog for an e-mando.

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    That walnut piece is really pretty, I know it will go into something special. And thanks for the tip on the Zinnsers, I've got an old can that seems OK, but I don't want to risk using it on a project, cause of the age.

Lauan? I've only seen it in plywood, not lumber, but it seems like it would be a nice, light and resonant wood. RU going to post your mando build here? Nosmo has "almost" finished one of his acoustics, so we got a slot for a new mando build, that I can hold open for ya. :cool::p

12. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I will take a pick for you. I have proof that the stuff doesnt grow as ply wood!!! Yes it is pretty light - wouldn't make a neck out of it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

13. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yes , that walnut is sweet , Helmut's got a good eye . I'll save it till i come up with a use , might go good with the ash I got which once I cut to blank lengths is surprisingly light .
    That is exactly why I started using the Sealcoat for blank ends , I had an older can and didn't want to use it on any finish work .

Like Helmut said the Lauan is pretty light . They had some pretty big wide long pieces of 8/4 there , we looked at it , first time I ever saw it in boards . I would think it would make a nice light tele body , its not super hard , janka rating is around 800 . I am going to stop back in there on my way upstate in a few weeks to pick up some 8/4 African Mahogany , maybe I'll grab a smaller piece of the Pilippine Mahogany.

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Wow, just got caught up, nice haul guys.

I know you guys head up north sometimes, there's a new place in Maine called Downs and Reeder they have 1 lumber yard in Stoughton, MA, one in CT and now Maine. They've had some decent sales on all of our favorites over the last 6 months or so and with the new place in Maine I expect more deals to come. They sent out an email showcasing Alder and Limba (ofram) in 8/4 for guitar builders not less than a week ago. They look to have a nice selection and have recently upped the advertising geared towards hobbyist.

15. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Chris . I checked their website , they do have some good prices , if I ever travel that way I'll try to stop in . Its so nice to have a place you can go and see and pick out the lumber , even if you have to burn a half tank of gas its still cheaper than any shipping options

DrASATele likes this.

16. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    As promised, finally the pics of the Philippine Mahog. Some comes with a few flames.

ph mahog2.jpg
    ph mahog1.jpg

17. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    That's a nice looking piece with the flame Helmut . I might have to grab a piece of that next time I get to Condon's , flame or not

18. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes, really good looking flame.

So, okay, Helmut, you've proven that lauan doesn't just grow as cheap door skin plywood for the big-box stores! :p

19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    You didn't think I would let you down???

20. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Never!! I got faith in you, bud.

Is that body outline on the flamed piece a little preview of a future project?

21. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    That is classified information. :lol:

More tease - with some regards from Lowe's
    mando top V2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    John Nicholas likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.