Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NWD

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Jan 6, 2016.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Wow Herb!!

That is some nice haul!! It looks like a place that is on the list of places to stop when I'm on the Island!

If you're willing to drive up to White Plains, they have some Alder in stock at Condon Lumber. Along with tons of other species... maybe not as exotic as your new find!

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yea , they have some nice pieces John , nothing for tops or necks or bodies , more like turners sizes . But for smalls like rings and knobs or inlay and accent pieces they are a great source . I may stop at Condon next time I head up to the cabin . If I take the New England up to the Cross Westchester I'll be going right past them I think .

DrASATele likes this.

3. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    You need to work on your metaphors. I mean, why would a termite be happy in hog heaven? Probably just really muddy there.

Just saying'

Oh yeah - nice wood.

4. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Ha , yea , I see your point , but hog heaven sounds better than anything else I could come up with .
    Yes , the wood is nice , but it cost me my beer money for the next few months .

nosmo likes this.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Just cut back on wine, and use your wine money to buy beer. You'll be O.K.;)

MM73, LeftFinger and BluesBlooded like this.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    It's so easy when you have friends to help you figure things out !

Herb, that shot with the Red, White, and BLACK is awesome. You should just nail them together like that and sell it for an art piece. Awesome wood. Makes me think about taking a day off to visit Atlanta's local termite hog heaven, Carlton McLendon's. I'd like to just get a piece of lignum vitae, just to feel it, maybe run a saw through it. I bet they got some there.

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Ha , yea , wonder how that'll go over when the wife asks for a fine bottle of wine and I come home with some Strawberry Hill .

MM73 likes this.

8. CapnCrunch

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    If your wife is anything like mine, she doesn't appreciate wine nearly as much as you appreciate beer. Fairness seems to dictate that in that situation, Beer comes first. It's just the way it's got to be.;) On the other hand, a happy wife = a happy life. It's a toss up. You'll have to make the call.:lol:

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yes , friends helping friends , what more could there be ?
    I have a little bit of genuine Lignum Vitae left from a 2" x 2" x 18" piece I bought a few years ago Rick , its feels like steel , its as heavy as steel , it polishes up to a beautiful gloss without any finish due to the oils in it . Its really a beautiful wood .

10. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Well , that's an almost intolerable situation to be in . I say buy the beer and ask for forgiveness , but drink the beer before asking for forgiveness , just in case :D

CapnCrunch likes this.

11. CapnCrunch

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Those are wise words right there.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Or maybe save the beer for after the begged forgiveness is not forthcoming.. .

Anyway, the bottle I'm sure is just fine. It's the wine inside that's swill. She should have been more clear in her instructions. "Herb, pick up a bottle full of fine wine." No weaseling out of that. Besides, folks at Boone's Farm have to eat, too.

It just occurred to me that you could whip up something wood and beautiful on your CNC in no time at all, and give it to her. How could she hold a crummy bottle of wine against you then? Well, maybe you shouldn't make her a nice rolling pin, just in case. Especially out of Lignum Vitae!

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    When I buy beer I make sure there's a bottle of wine for my wife. No fuss no muss!

Herb, make sure you post pics of what you end up making with the pink ivory. I've never heard of it.

14. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I'll make her a rolling pin with some balsa wood !

Yea , but that bottle of wine cuts into the beer money :twisted::D

Here's a few pics Richard of some pink ivory projects from a while back , some knobs , pink ivory tops over cocobolo and a pink ivory humbucker ring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CraigB, Barncaster and HockeyPop98 like this.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    If you head that way then Yankee Pine aka "Righteous Woods" in Rowely MA might peak your interest too.

16. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Oh , they peak my interest Chris , its just that they are another 3+ hrs from Condon

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pete Seeger had a custom banjo neck made from Lignum Vitae. Man that thing must have been heavy!

18. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I'll bet it was heavy Rob , even a small piece is noticeably heavy . It really is an amazing wood , in some cases it is still being harvested and used as oiless bearings . It has been and still is used as propeller shaft bearings on ships , and shaft bearings in hydroelectric plants . Next time I head over to the place I got the ebony from I'm gonna grab another block of the Genuine , there is a difference between the genuine Lignum Vitae and the Argentine Lignum Vitae . Here's an interesting website that deals with it .

http://www.lignum-vitae-bearings.com/

Barncaster likes this.

19. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I was talking to John Nicholas about wood suppliers and lumberyards a while back and he told me of a place in White Plains that has a pretty decent selection and not bad prices . It also is about one block off the Cross Weschester Xpressway and I'm familiar with that stretch of road since I drive that way on frequent trips upstate . So I started planing a road trip , its about 70 miles one way . I tried to talk John into going so I could meet him in person but he had to work , but he did mention that Helmut ( I_build_my_own )lived very nearby . I pm'd Helmut and we set a date (today ) to meet up at the wood supplier . We both arrived within about 30 seconds of each other , it was pretty cool to meet Helmut in person and put a face to a name . He also knew his way around this place and we were soon going through racks of lumber . Helmut even found me a beautiful piece of figured walnut out of a cut offs box , its 8" x 18" x 1" so it will make a nice book matched cap .

[​IMG]

Here's Helmut and me standing in front of some flitches , Helmut is the youngster on the left in the picture

[​IMG]

We had a nice visit and I got some other wood , alder , poplar , cherry , ash , and pine , about 61 bd ft altogether mostly 8/4 , some 12/4 , here's a pic of the haul on the truck

[​IMG]

All in all it was a very enjoyable day :)

20. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Yes it was nice to meet ya in person. Shhhhhh lets keep that between us 2, or else I will get another lecture that starts with "What did we say about meeting people from the internet" :D

Nice haul Herb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.