Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NWD

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Jan 6, 2016.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yes , there might even be a table hiding in that padauk ;)

Ha , busy cleaning a spot to stash it all :eek:

Well now Roger , you know how New Years Resolutions go , I figured why fight it :twisted:

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Hope you're stocking up on CNC tooling, too, Herb, I'm guessing your mo-sheen is going to be pretty busy!

3. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I'm pretty good with tooling Rick , I've got backups for my most used bits too , but in all honesty bits or at least the solid carbide I've been using last a good long time ,most of my bits are either Southeast Tools or Whiteside . I've only shelved 2 bits , well 3 (broke a .125 ball nose) for being dull , and I've cut quite a lot with them

[​IMG]

Thanks Brian

6. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada
    Lots of fun to come! That walnut slab looks great.

7. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Found more goodies for the stash , can't believe I haven't added anything since January :eek:. Some nice flamey maple and some ambrosia , should make some nice caps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found some scrap pieces of walnut and cherry just big enough to get a t size body blank :)

[​IMG]

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Looking good Herb.
    That cherry looks like it has some quilt to it, that's going to be sweet!

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Chris , yes the cherry does have some quilt to it , I really have no idea what it will become yet , maybe a carve top tele ??

10. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Carved Top Tele would be sweet. It's such a nice wood to work with.

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Why you hoarding all the lumber? Gonna make somethin?

12. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    That's a good question Rick , I am sure I'll make something , just don't know yet what it'll be . I just can't pass up bargains when it comes to wood . As for hoarding lumber , not me , I'm not a wood hoarder , really , I'm not , nope , no way , really :p

13. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I believe you, Herb. No, really, I really do believe you. Yup.

Are any of your grandkids showing an interest in woodworking? I guess they may be a bit young, yet. But grand-dads are great for that kind of stuff!

14. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I have a confession. I got rid of almost all my scrap lumber a week or so ago. (nothing exotic, mostly pine and some oak). I had boards in the rafters of the garage that hadn't been touched in 19 years. so we just had a new concrete driveway and garage floor installed so I did a major clean out. even went into the basement shop and cleaned out the scraps. going to try and focus on the few uncompleted projects before anything new.

15. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I believe that you believe that I'm not a wood hoarder , maybe :confused:

The oldest Aiden sneaks down to the shop when I am down there to watch , the machines fascinate all 3 of em :)

Sacrilege !

:D

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  16. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    That cherry is nice. I would like to see a solid cherry guitar with a UV induced burst.

17. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yep , its that time of year again , starting to notice the days gettin longer , the weather is perkin up , that's it , gotta go get some wood !
    I was in need of some ebony so I've been looking around online , ebay , all the usual places , prices are pretty much all the same for nice stuff so it usually comes down to shipping and availability . One place caught my eye not because of shipping rates or prices but because of area code on their phone number , it was a local area code , and after looking further they were only 35 minutes away from me . Called em up , they said sure come on down , got more than I needed(nice to hand pick) , spent more than I wanted , but man , they had a 15' x 20' room lined with shelves stacked with wood from all over the world , I was like a termite in hog heaven ! I ended up with a 3" x 3" x 18" hunk of Gabon Ebony , a 2" x 2" x 6" piece of Gabon ebony , a 2" x 2" x 6" piece of Pink Ivory and a 1" x 2.5" x 12.5" piece of American Holly . This will all be used for pup rings , knobs , inlay , accent pieces , etc . Should have enough to last me a good while

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    This is kind of why I've hoarded some lumber. I want my son to be able to be able to build from this stash and then who knows maybe down the line his son or daughter there after. Kind of that unspoken family heirloom. Lofty dreams I suppose. :rolleyes:

At the rate I'm going it will probably be a stack of incompletes though. :D:lol:

Go Herb go!

19. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada
    Nice score Herb! Close to home, that's fun too!

20. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Chris , its almost to the point with Ebony , Pink Ivory and even clear American Holly that it could be called investment grade wood :eek: , if only I had a crystal ball 20 years ago . I actually would have liked to get a larger piece of Pink Ivory but this was the largest they had and I spent enough $ already and the size I got will work for my needs . I can only hoard wood for so long then its gotta get used :D

MM73 and DrASATele like this.
  21. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Andre , I probably drooled all over the floor in their wood room , never seen so much ebony in one place , not to mention Genuine Lignum Vitae , African Blackwood , Pink Ivory , Black Palm , Curly Babinga , Black & White Ebony , etc , etc . Next time I go I'll need to bring a bib !:D

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.