Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NWD

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Jan 6, 2016.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yep , New wood day , this is the time of year I usually start looking and gathering , and some might say hoarding :lol: here's the haul today

5/4 , 6/4 , & 7/4 Walnut , that big slab is 15" x 36" x 1 3/4 "
    Bodies , necks and caps , oh my :D

[​IMG]

And it even came with garnish , some 4/4 Cherry , 5/4 Birch and 5/4 Wenge

[​IMG]

Wood is good ;)

mPacT and John Nicholas like this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  3. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Aug 12, 2011
    Scotland, UK
    ^ I will second that. Great score!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tele-Explorer

Tele-Explorer TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    New York
    Great looking assortment!
    Where does one hunt for such wood and what sort of methods are used to obtain it?

6. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Very nice Herb!

Jim

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Oh, nice Herb!
    I think it's the time of year. I'm planning walnut and cherry builds as well.
    I love the wenge look, not the splinters, use your gloves save your fingers!

8. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2012
    Ohio
    I could keep busy w/that!

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY

Thanks Marty & dazz

Tele -Explorer , I do most of my wood huntin online , there are still some decent buys out there if you are patient , shipping is a killer on wood with the rates nowadays but if you buy enough pieces and can get combined or free shipping you can still do ok , Bell Forest Products will give you free shipping but you gotta spend $250 I believe , but you get a pretty good pile of wood .
    I also have a pretty good dealer not far from me , but they are expensive

Thanks Jim

10. Tele-Explorer

Tele-Explorer TDPRI Member

Dec 7, 2015
    New York
    Thanks for the reply Herb!

11. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Hey Chris , yea , it seems this time of year I always end up getting stocked up with wood , I'll have to go check Lowes around here for maple while I'm at it .
    I've never gotten a splinter from wenge but purpleheart and sapele are real buggers for that . The wide piece of wenge will most likely get resawed for a book matched cap , that stuff is heavy , but its gorgeous .

Ha , yea , but in my mind I'm already looking for that next great piece of wood

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Nice haul Herb! It seems like the right time of year to do some shopping since the shop is too cold to work in. I went yesterday and got only alder and maple. Nothing like you got..:lol:

13. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Richard :) , its getting tough to find decent wood around here . I have never found any alder any where around me , wish I could though , I like the way it works .

Here's that big walnut slab , I ran it through the thickness sander to clean it up and wiped with naptha. Its at 1 .68 " thick , I should get 2 bodies out of it .

[​IMG]

MM73, RLee77 and esetter like this.
  14. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Wood

Nice wood Herb! I had a dig in my wood stocks yesterday for some material for an acoustic I want to build and hauled out these three specimens.

All in the vicinity of 3mm thick and wide enough for top and bottom plates when cut and re-joined. What we have from left to right is New Guinea Walnut, Myrtle. and New Guinea Rosewood. I have been buying timber from the same people that supplied these for about 20 years, a hubby and wife combo that live about 200 klm. south of my place that specialize in "thin timbers". I still have some sheets of sitika spruce 1.5mm that I have been saving for 20 years for "something special" or until I can pluck up the courage to cut it!

The rosewood is actually much deeper red than the photo, and will be the top, the Walnut the back and the Myrtle the sides.

Attached Files:

15. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    pretty slab of wood- I'd have a hard time not making a table out of that big slab

16. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Can't wait to see the herbification of that wood!

When moving houses in the last couple of months I went through and moved every little scrap of wood I have and re-stacked them at the new house so that I can get to all of the cool stuff for my first project at the new place: That's still a few months down the road as I still need to run a couple of 20A circuits in my garage and set up my dust collection system... Going through all that wood I found a few boards I bought 5 years ago that I thought were really nice, but I had forgotten about them - so finding them was like NWD! :)

The next new project will likely be an Ash Tele with strat pickups and a little wider than normal 22-fret Maple neck - nothing new or all that different, but the boards I'll use are ones that I saved for a special project.

We are buried in Alder out here, it's easy to find it, but the wide 8/4 boards go fast. What no one can find out here is Walnut that's 8/4 thick.

17. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Thanks Dave . That new Guinea Walnut looks nice , never heard of it before .

Ha , if it had live edges on both long sides it would be a table

Hey Mojo , plenty of Walnut around here , but pricey . This big slab supposedly didn't come from near me , but I paid less for it with shipping than what your average 2 piece clear alder blank goes for . Only problem with that is I have to trust the source because I can't visually inspect the wood , but I've been buying from them for years now and they are honest honorable folks . I've got another piece of 8/4 walnut in the closet , I think its 8/4 x 7 x 40 , I'll get a 2 piece body out of it :)

18. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Big Brown stopped by today and left these , 4 pieces of padauk , 15/16" x 8.5 x 48 on three of em and 38" x 8.5 x 15/16 on the 4th piece .

[​IMG]

19. DrASATele

DrASATele Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Oh man, oh man. That looks like some fun right there.

20. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    With all that wood Herb is gonna be busy!

21. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    So I guess someone's New Year's Resolution DIDN'T involve cutting back on wood hoarding :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.