Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Nut widths on the MIM 60s

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by BBill64, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Lately, I've been feeling that my MIM 60s Tele is a bit difficult to play compared to others with the same string gauge and scale length and I think it's the nut width.

I don't think anybody would say that the 60s has a chunky neck, but it feels quite wide. Fender quotes the honest and traditional 1-5/8" [~41mm] nut width but mine is easily more like 43mm. My guitars that are 41mm at the nut are a joy to play - my tokai strat with the same string gauge and similar action is much nicer to play.

I guess my question is does anybody have an MiM 60s with a 41mm nut, as Fender reckons it does? Which tele models are verified as coming with this nut width (as in people have handled them and took a ruler to the nut, not just "fender says")?

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    According to the Fender website Classic Series 60s and Baja 60s are 1.650" which is microscopically slightly less than 42mm. The original Classic Player Baja has the narrower 1.625" nut.
    There is always going to be some variation from spec as necks are hand sanded to shape..

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you saying you like a narrow nut? Okay. I like a wider nut, like 1.75". YMMV.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Ah, I couldn't find that page when I first looked but I see it now. I swear, the Fender site is like the Hogwarts stairs...

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've given up on the Fender site. It doesn't respond to my browser (Chrome).

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Classic 60s runs about 1.650 inches wide, sometimes a hair more than that.

The Classic Player (50s) Baja runs just a little wider still. Certainly not 1.625. I could be wrong but I have 7 of them and measured them all.

FMIC likes to SAY in the paperwork that some of its models are 1.625 but unless they MIJ/CIJ, that's IMO a bunch of hooey.

soulman969 and BBill64 like this.
  8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I never thought I'd say this but I'm thinking of ditching the MiM and looking for an MiJ with a nicer neck. I just wish I'd thought of it a couple of years ago when the MiJ prices were better!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.