Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nut thickness Matters?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mickeyspringer, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mickeyspringer

mickeyspringer TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Hollywood
    Does nut thickness (not width) make a difference?
    Is there a tonal, tension, sustain or resonance difference between skinny fender nuts and thicker Gibson nuts?

Would a Gibson nut on a tele neck give it a steeper break angle at the wound strings and make it more stable and resonant when it comes to open notes?

i am building a tele shape except every thing but the shape will resemble a 59 lp jr. (Mohogany, wraparound angle bridge, p90)
    scoop neck straight tele style head but just make the nut slot thicker like a Gibson.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    No.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I'm not sure I've ever seen similar enough designs with just that variable to know how to make a comparison. There are so many other differences in the designs of recessed headstocks (like a Fender) and angled headstocks (like a Gibson), that I think this is probably one where you wouldn't notice the difference.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    No matter how thick the nut is you file the slot on an angle that creates a break point. The physical thickness of the nut is not important. Just more material to remove.

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I've heard thicker nuts can cause string binding which makes some logical sense. Larger contact patch, more friction. Rubbing is racing! Wait, what are we talking about again?

7. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

No, because you really want the strings to contact only a tiny part of the nut anyway, with some drop off in the back of the nut slot.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.