Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nut Glue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Paul in Colorado, May 13, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    What glue should I use on a bone nut on a maple neck?

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

A couple drops of wood glue will work. Don't use super glue or anything heavy-duty, just something that will hold it in place.

You don't need a permanent application in case if you ever have to remove it.

Wally and brookdalebill like this.

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's almost the last thing I do on a build...

after I'm happy with the fit/string alignment and the nut slot depths after I've played it for a while..... I then wick a bit of titebond or clear nail polish with a toothpick into the ends of the nut slot to seal out any hand grunge/moisture from getting into the slot.... that usually does it....

Wyzsard likes this.

4. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Couple drops of Elmer’s on the ends near the edges works for me.

Main thing is to not have to worry about the nut when the strings are off during string changes, cleaning and detailing.

clayfeat and brookdalebill like this.

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Most of mine have fit tight enough I don't use glue.
    Least amount of Elmers possible if it's not that tight.
    You may have to change it again sometime. You can destroy the nut slot trying to get it out if too much glue or the wrong kind of glue was used.

Wally likes this.

6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Humm - I thought a couple of dots of super glue was what people used for nuts. It was my understanding that since superglue is brittle, it will break free with a sharp blow.

Wood glue, especially something like tite bond, AFAIK is a permanent connection. I glued some Al to wood a few years ago with tite bond, as an experiment, and the connection was awesomely permenant (I didnt really believe that it would stick good).

jimgchord likes this.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would never use super glue....or anything else except two very small dots of white wood glue.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    A drop Elmer's holds the nut in place, and is very easy to scrape out later.

Wally likes this.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I like the idea of elmers. I used super glue in my last build because I thought that what people used.

So why not super glue Wally?

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There is no need for a permanent, strong bond there. The nut needs to be removable with a slight tap. Ime, when a nut is super glued in, either the wood will give up before the glue bond will or the nut will break. In either case, such a strong glue bond causes more problems than it solves. Just a couple of small dabs of white wood glue is sufficient.

LutherBurger likes this.

11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Two tiny drops of gel super glue. Quick and not permanent. If folks are having issues then they are using too much.

rooboo likes this.

12. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Well, I guess I'm a minority when I glue it solid with hide glue. I think Preeb said to do that and who am I to argue!

Cam likes this.

13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Sounds like we have a "failure to communicate" :D

14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I use two tiny drops of thick superglue. Never had an issue getting it off. String tension is uneven and the nut will often pull to one side without something. The superglue gets it set fast so it doesnt end up in the wrong place.

rooboo and jimgchord like this.

15. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

I don’t see any failure to communicate on my end. I was taught guitar repair by Brian Galloup in method of Dan Erlewine in the shop he established in Michigan. Bryan worked with Dan for 5 years before buying his business when Dan went to Stew Mac.
    I have had nothing but trouble with nuts that have been glued in with super glue. I have seen other repairs on guitars that have been render3d unrepairable due to the use of ‘modern glues’....super glue, gorilla glue. Super glue has its uses in guitar repair. IMHO and ime, those uses do NOT entail any work that may need to be undone or redone in the future.i use super glue for nut slot fills. I will use super glue for quick finish chip repair on poly finishes.
    I use it for certain fret issues.
    Many people seem to think that animal-based wood glues have been made obsolete by modern glues. Nothing could be farther from the truth for wood. Animal based glues allow for disassembly and future repairs in case of a rebreak. They also are easily cleaned up and leave no trace of use if used properly.
    I have seen people ruin instruments both in a functional manner and a cosmetic manner with use of improper glues.....

16. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Thanks for that. Others, and myself, specified two small drops of super glue. When I have used super glue in the past, it seemed to delaminate in the glue line itself - not taking part of the substrate with it, like wood glues seem to do, in general woodworking.

IN any case, I am glad to get the benefit of your expertise - even when you are cranky :lol:

17. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes, this is what I use too. Works fine.

18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Exactly, if anything is going to take wood with it....it's wood glue .

mgreene likes this.

19. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Of course there is a StewMac Video covering this. Dan recommends two small dots of shellac.

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    A drop of yellow glue. Yellow and white glues are for porous materials. Bones are porous, so water soluble glue works. I would never use super glue on bone. If you need to remove the glue, hot water does it.

Last edited: May 15, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.