Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nut education - what's what?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lefty Addams, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    OK - so I recently started getting in self building and coming onto nuts, I only just found out that an Earvana nut is one that is a compensated affair - is that correct? I just know about compensated saddles, I never knew of such a thing lol.

Also, The Graphtech Tusq XL is one that is 'permanently lubricated', so why would you need one that is lubricated? I naturally thought an XL nut would be oversized in some capacity, so i was wrong about that.

Teaching please .....

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    1. Yep. Earvana nuts are compensated much like bridges are.
    2. Lubrication at the nut helps to prevent binding (the string getting stuck there) when adjusting tuning or bending strings (or using the wang bar). Those Tusq nuts have teflon in em.

LutherBurger and Lefty Addams like this.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Earvana and Graph Tech explain their technology on their websites.

I'm a fan of Tusq XL, but I've never tried a compensated nut. The concept makes sense, but my guitars sound "right" to me with their uncompensated nuts and 6-saddle bridges, and I don't want to mess with that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.