Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nu-tube valve replacement?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fenderflame, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Just a thought, as Korg are busy 'nu-tubing' everything, is it possible to make a Nutube loaded replacement for a traditional valve? Could you make a nutube with EL-34, EL-84 or 12-AX7 pins that would plug into regular valve sockets?

If it could be done then the increased life-span would justify a cost uplift (kind of like what happened with domestic lamps - an SES Led directly replaces older SES lamps).

Any thoughts?

losrogers and Guitandanza like this.
  2. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    I wonder why they never called it "NuValve"....:)

AxemanVR likes this.
  3. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    I just saw an advertisement on that product on YouValve the other day.

4. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    I doubt it.
    Here are some videos:

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
  6. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I wonder if that would appease the "It's not a tube!" zealots?

It's not a power amp valve and it's not a substitute for traditional valves. The circuit would need to be designed around the nutubes. It runs off of a much lower voltage and than something like a 12AX7.

7. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    I’m not crazy about their sound compared to say and Orange, or some such, SS amp. I never hear anybody swooning over the tone.

Silverface likes this.
  8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    "NuValve" would be British wording.

This is just another "not a tube" being marketed as "sounding like a tube" that doesn't.

Next.

OneHenry likes this.
  9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    In short, No.

The NuTube is a preamp tube and not a power tube. If you made a drop-in Power tube replacement with it, you would need a power amp inside the replacement tube as well.

It also is more expensive that a normal tube ($50USD on ebay for one) so it is not economical.

It has less gain than the 12AX7 so you'd need to add some solid state amps in the replacement to achieve the same levels.

It also operates at much lower voltages, so you would need to add voltage conversion to the replacement.

I think they are a bit larger than a 9 pin miniature tube as well....

10. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Would you be using NOS or new production NuTubes?:lol:

OneHenry likes this.
  11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Nu Old Stock?

12. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I have no idea what a "nutube" is, but understand what you are trying to acheive, and there are solid state replacements for a limited number of vacuum tube types. I wouldn't be surprised to see a solid state replacement for a 12AX7. A solid state replacement for a power tube would be interesting, but I doubt that it would be a tube shaped plug-in deviccepdevice. It would require a power supply to convert the tube's B+ supply to power the solid state devices, enough solid state devices to handle the power requiremnts, and it would require enough heat sink area to keep the solid state devices cool.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I looked at an article on nu-tubes, they are tubes, although they are weird tumor infested tubes.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You call that a tube? Now this is a tube!

[​IMG]

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I've never seen or heard of the KT120 or KT150 , what were they used for ?

How about this one, 5948A, don't know what it is used for but it's HUGE

5948A tube.jpg

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Hah! The KT120 and 150 are for crazy hifi guys. In a (hypothetical) guitar amp I think a pair of KT150 could be pushed to nearly 300W.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There seems to be many here who are ill-informed. The Vox MV50 AC sounds like a real Vox to all who work at the guitar shop that I worked at until recently, and many of them are devout tone (and tube) snobs. And that large tube is tiny compared to some of the broadcast (transmitter) tubes used for TV and radio.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    There have been a bunch of those for the preamp, Jet City made some and so did AMT, and also at least one other company or two, some from the early 2000s or 1990s. I think maybe some were also made for the power amp, although I don't remember that well. Some were really expensive, I do remember that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.