Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD Xotic BB Preamp AT...any happy BB users here?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Sep 14, 2018.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I found a new AT reissue version limited release for a decent price. I've always loved Andy's tone (who doesn't?) so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've never heard a bad thing about any BB and I like the idea of a more compressed version. I need to play with it more, but I'm curious if there are any BB users here and how they are using them...standalone OD, boost, etc.

2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    A BB is my only pedal except for an analog delay set for a barely there quick decay verb feel.

I set the tone knobs so it’s matched to amp tone, gain to 9 o’clock, volume slightly above unity. It serves as my solo boost mostly and occasionally adds a little more grit to an entire song where appropriate.

It’s run into an old Deluxe running at about 4 with the original speaker and I use both a Tele and Strat, playing blues and rock.

I love that pedal.

3. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Just got the BB Comp on a blow out. Love these mode.

snottyboy likes this.
  4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    A BB has been my go-to OD for a few years now. Sounds great and has a lot of range. The EQ on that sucker works exceptionally well. Just a great pedal. Lots of good tones in it.

5. yazam2014

yazam2014 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    malaysia
    Bb pre amp is main od pedal.
    Solo: sometimes i stack it with other pedal.

6. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Do you boost it or use it to boost another drive pedal? I have yet to try my Route 66 into the BB. It actually sounds very TS-like so far. I believe it's based on a TS but I've heard it's Blues Breaker based too...which would make sense with the name.

7. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    That does look like a nice version.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I love my regular old BB. It's my base dirt tone with the Z28. It stacks GREAT with a Timmy. Those 2 pedals work with damn near EVERY amp.

9. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I have yet to have the pleasure of using a BB; however, my EP Booster from Xotic is amazing.

xland likes this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Yes, I tried the BB Mid as well (with a strat), and much preferred this one.

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Lost my Xotic in a trade deal, but the Mosky B Box is very close.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  12. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2010
    SCS, MI
    BB Comp is the one for me. All modes useful and the flat-mids mode (middle) is only available on this version. Other modes are classic BB (up) and AT (down). Much preferred to BB Mid Boost version.

13. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    The mid boost version doesn't really appeal to me. If I hadn't stumbled upon the AT at a good price I would want the comp version for sure.

14. yazam2014

yazam2014 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    malaysia
    Its all depend on how much dirty i want the solo sound.

15. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    The plain orange BB is my favorite OD pedal and is my main overdrive sound. A bit of dirt, a substantial volume boost, and a slight boost on the treble and bass, and it makes my Tele absolutely HOWL through my Marshall combo.

I tried a red AT version of the BB a few years ago and hated it. Couldn’t flip it fast enough. The thing I love most about the BB is that it compresses less than most OD pedals. I love it’s chunky, percussive feel, how it retains the pick attack. The red one list that.

Of course, that’s through a relatively soft Marshall. Timmons uses clean Boogies, and can get away with some extra compression from his OD. I love his tone, even if I don’t use his pedal.

16. aclawrence

aclawrence TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2015
    NW Alabama
    I’ve been using the regular old BB for years now. It’s my main dirt pedal. I also ha Bette JHS @ and it’s a good but different from the BB

17. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I like the compression. The AT is a serious improvement over a standard TS!

I picked up a JHS Angry Charlie v3(I get the JHS thing...don’t care) and these two pair very well. The AC v3 is an awesome pedal. It’s probably the best distortion pedal I’ve used to date.

I got the BB AT and the AC v3 both new for under $300. Local music store had a closeout. I’m seriously impressed with the AC. The BB is a nice addition but I could let it go after playing with it a few weeks. I do like it much better than the TS on my RT 66 but it’s not a must have.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.