Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD Wampler Tumnus Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WaylonFan76, Dec 21, 2017.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    IMG_7304.JPG
    Just got it in the mail and right off the bat, I can tell you this pedal LOVES Strats. With my 52 AVRI Tele it makes a great Stonesy crunch, but the greatness comes out with the Strat. Next up is my #1, my Trussart Steelcaster. Stay tuned.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Congrats!
    The reviews sound great.
    I want one just because of the lamppost - my kids really enjoy the Narnia books.

3. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I would purchase one but I already have the original/mini version! Glad your enjoying it :)

WaylonFan76 likes this.

4. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Congrats! A day early too

WaylonFan76 likes this.

5. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Yes! It surprised me. I was about to just go take a ride as I was getting cabin fever but when I found it in my mailbox I decided to stay inside instead...

ukepicker, Shango66 and Staypuft1652 like this.

6. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA

7. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Update: gigged with the Tumnus Deluxe last night for the first time and I love this thing! It was the missing puzzle piece on my board. Two great fonctions: in front of a low gain overdrive for a solo boost (I used it in front of two of my foundation overdrives, the Wampler Tweed ‘57 ans the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret and it pushes the pedal for solos. Fluid overdrive and added gain) and as a stand-alone overdrive for melodic leads on slow songs. I’m in love. Brian did it again!

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Finally, someone here has it. Ive been really thinking of getting this. I have a few questions if you dont mind.

I'm planning a rebuild of my rig and it will involve only a few essentials and nothing of extra stuff. I have used 3-4 dirt pedals, in different combinations and now Im sticking with two. and this is one of the choices I have.

I need one for sort of like an EQ, kind of a step up from a clean tone, transparent dirt pedal, which is always on, and wont color the sound of the amp and my guitar. I started with Tubescreamer variants before but Im leaning towards something different now, started falling into the black hole of Mythical Beast variants. theres just too many out there at ridiculous prices.

Will this pedal be better using as a boost/always on pedal or more like stage 2 drive where you kick it for solos and stuff?

Im not into really heavy gut-wrenching chug chug metal sound. I think SRV tone is the heaviest dirt I can ever get to, not that I can emulate his tone or anything, but just the level of gain. I play telecasters exclusively, and a Gretsch full hollow.

Another thing is, compatibility with other gain pedals? does it play nicely?

And last thing is, does it play nicely with amp? May I know what kind of amp are you using? Im leaning towards a Vox tube amp, but that can change depending on how much I have and what comes up in my local area.

ukepicker likes this.

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Ordered mine from Sweetwater yesterday. Can’t wait to try it out.

WaylonFan76 likes this.

10. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    How would you compare/contrast the Tumnus with the Soul Food?

WaylonFan76 likes this.

11. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Mine is scheduled to arrive on the brown truck tomorrow. Can't wait.

WaylonFan76 likes this.

12. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    I've had a Tumnus Deluxe for about a month now and I really like it. It's definitely a mainstay on my board. I used to have a Soul Food and I'm probably in the minority here as it's a really popular pedal but I hated that thing. Not very versatile IMO. Thought it sounded shrill once you dial the gain past 10-11 o'clock. Got rid of it after a week.

The Tumnus Deluxe is extremely versatile and usable in many different ways. Having a three band EQ is great!! You can sculpt the sound in number of different ways. I think anyone would be hard pressed in not finding at least a few settings they don't like.

WaylonFan76 likes this.

13. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    I’m 100% with you. I gave my Soul Food to a friend because it sounded terrible with my set up (Trussart Steelcaster through a Twin blackface RI). It sounded shrill and cheap to my ears. The Tumnus is the total opposite. I love it.

Murphcaster likes this.

14. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    As I stated in the comment above, I ended up giving away my Soul Food. It sounded shrill and cheap with my set up. Was not impressed at all. The Tumnus Deluxe is the opposite. Very musical and high quality.

15. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    It’s actually a triple threat. Equally great as a stand-alone fluid OD and a solo boost in front of a foundation overdrive for example. I can also see it as an always on pedal to shape your tone. Depending on the style you play.
    I play a Trussart Steelcaster through a Twin Reverb RI. It sounds amazing. I use it as a solo boost in front of either my Wampler Tweed ‘57 or Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. Also use it on its own on slow songs for fluid low gain OD that cuts through the mix on melodic leads. This thing is amazing. The three band EQ controls makes it a super versatile pedal. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

16. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Congrats! I've been considering one BUT the potential deal-breaker for me is that buffer switch on the side...
    How often do you access it? I really like how Wampler has gone to top-mounted jacks to help conserve pedalboard real estate but that side switch will require some "buffer space" to access it on the fly.

17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    Hmmm. I don't quite understand why one would require or need to have quick access to the buffer switch to change it in a pinch. For me, this falls under the realm of "set it and forget it", depending upon your pedal configuration and/or needs. Granted, there's a lot of new technology in the pedal world that I'm not down with but in what application would you need to quickly switch from buffered bypass to true bypass on the fly?

WaylonFan76 likes this.

18. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Definitely a set and forget it thing. You shouldn’t have to switch it on or off midway through a set and even if you did there’s enough space between pedals to do so.

19. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Why would that be a deal breaker? If you need a buffer have it on. If you don't have it off? Much more versatile than a pedal that either has a buffer or doesn't. At least you have the choice of making the pedal buffered or not.

20. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    As soon as I find my foundation OD pedal I think that I'll have the tumnus deluxe as a pedal to shape my tone. Just on the edge of breakup. If it excels for that and mid gain maybe I'll get a second one and have one set for edge of breakup and one for mid gain.

WaylonFan76 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.