Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Wampler Ego Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stephen78, Sep 7, 2017.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Michigan
    Took advantage of the Labor Day sale at Musicians Friend and picked up a Wampler Ego Compressor. This is my first compressor pedal. Over the past year I've been getting into the whole chicken pickin' thing...and now I have two Teles and a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. I really didn't know if I needed a compressor...but I figured I would give one a try. I play at home for the most part and can't always crank the volume, so I was hoping this might help a bit.

The pedal arrived today and I've been playing it all afternoon...and I've learned a lot. While the super rubbery compressed tone can be fun for a bit, I discovered I prefer to preserve the natural tone of my Teles as much as possible. After tinkering for a bit (and watching my Daniel Donato instructional video and looking at his Wampler settings during the gear portion) I think I've found the sweet spot for me. I have it set where it evens my playing out just enough while preserving the stock sound. That blend knob works wonders!

Here are my settings (with my PRRI set for bedroom volume...between 2 and 3. Using an Eminence GA10‑SC64 speaker):

Sustain - 9 o'clock
    Tone - 3 o'clock (I turn this down if I'm playing louder...this keeps the clarity at low volumes)
    Attack - 10 o'clock
    Volume - Noon (but varies again on how loud I can play)
    Blend - 10 o'clock

This little bit goes a long way! I'm pretty pleased so far. These settings act more as a boost I think with just a little compression. I dig it!

brobar likes this.

2. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Congrats. One of the best compressors made. I love mine. I purchased it with the whole chicken pick'n thing in mind but compressors (especially this one) are way more versatile than just that. The blend knob rocks! Yes you can also use it as a boost and I love the added sustain I can get from it and I also use it to thicken up my tone a bit. Very versatile pedal. Love mine!

stephen78 likes this.

3. telepraise

telepraise TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    I concur. I originally bought mine to contain unintentional spikes in my unseasoned playing in the church band (embarrassing!) and I have settled on almost the same settings that you use. Fantastic for adding a little sparkle, body, and warmth as well. What's scary is how dull your straight tone sounds when you turn it off sometimes. I call it the pixie dust for a tele.

stephen78 likes this.

4. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I usually run things at
    1) Volume = unity or a tiny bit hotter than unity
    2) Tone = 0. (Tone off means it has no effect. turning it up gives you high end presence
    3) Attack around 2:00
    4) Sustain around 2:00
    5) Blend about 10:00

The Blend control makes it easy. I like the 90's Country squeeze but with a lot of the original attack blended back in. I could never dial in Dyna or a Ross worth a darn.

It seems to help even out my Hybrid picking.

stephen78 likes this.

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I have one and should bust it out again to boost up any single coil guitars I have, I guess. I've lately been playing 'buckers but I think I could get my Teles and other single coils back into the mix if I gave them a little help. I don't like much compression at all because I prefer to play with a lot of dynamics in my right hand. Squeezing that out is usually not my goal at all. Sure, if it's a recording then there's compression as part of mastering, but I let the engineers do that later.

stephen78 likes this.

6. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    Really like mine, even with a vintage style Les Paul. I use the Brent Mason setting in the manual.

stephen78 likes this.

7. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Michigan
    Using it more today and playing with the settings...I now like the attack at 2 o'clock, but everything still set the same like in my original post. This thing is fun!

8. Crazed Fandango

Crazed Fandango TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2015
    UK
    A bit late in here.

I've had mine a month or so; I traded a lot of old pedals and bought this as part of my new, smaller pedal board.

I play blues & classic rock for the most part, so thes are the settings I use (the pedal is always on for both clean & driven sounds):

Sustain: 2 O'clock
    Tone: 5 O'clock
    Attack: 11 O'clock
    Volume: 10 O'clock (unity)
    Blend 2 O'clock

9. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I gotta try those^^^^
    I like most controls around noon except the blend and sustain.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I love mine. I set it differently for different guitars. I like it barely present for my 335 but my Rick 330 I go for max squish tele I use about parity but tame the attack and roll back the tone

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.