Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Some ProCo Rat 2 love

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by the tool, Sep 25, 2017.

1. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    I know... i know... I could have just bought a new Rat! :D But i got this one cheaper actually, lucky me. It has some mild mojo to it, some scratches and wear, but everything works great. Have no idea what year its from.

I like the old Rat 2 box more than the new slanted one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gut shot! Just have to smile when you see a signed sticker inside saying "Sir Dolph" (on the pots).
    [​IMG]

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Very cool! Congrats. :cool:

the tool likes this.

3. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Congrats! I picked up a big box Rat reissue which is identical to the old USA made Rat 2 except for the enclosure. I love it for lower gain settings (8-9:00). Still chunky and rockin but not too compressed.

the tool likes this.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Looks like the previous owner put the proper chip in. Excellent.

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Congrats, and I think that chip is stock. I have one just like it and it came with the same chip.

Knobs like this, left to right: 9am, 3pm, 2pm

Enjoy that sound...

Rostlund98, the tool and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Thanks! I have them 10 2 2 :)

emisilly likes this.

8. pictacado

pictacado TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, my big box rat reissue has different component layout and components than this Rat 2.

9. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Really? I thought the difference between the Rat2 circuit and the older Rat was that the Rat2 had an OP07 instead of the LM308. So this has changed? Interesting!

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I just love Rats.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Maybe it varied over time. Someone around here recently said they popped two open and they were identical.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I like to turn that last one to 2 AM.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So, are we talking Daylight Saving Time? CST? Not sure I'm doing this right....

bottlenecker and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    GMT -6 hours. Central Time, where rock and roll comes from. No daylight savings time because that was always a terrible idea.

the tool likes this.

15. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    old people saying here in sweden about how to remember wich way to adjust time.
    "Adjust forward = taking out the outdoor furniture.
    Adjust back = outdoor furniture goes in"
    :D

RetroTeleRod and bottlenecker like this.

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Been living with a 1989 RAT2 a year now. Let me see? Well! Like it better than the DS-1 it replaced. I been drifting detween 12:00 to 2:00 on distortion and 3:00 to 5:00 on the Filter for mostly strats. Also running a TS into it for extra gain. Not perfect but not bad. Platefiire

the tool likes this.

17. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Thats alot of distortion there, after 12! But i like how it boarders into fuzz territory there. I use mine for rythm, plenty distortion already at 10:00 with the bridge pu on my tele....
    I would like to have another Rat for higher gain, but i'll try the boost/drives in my Boss MS-3 to see how the Rat handles them.

18. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Yeah 2:00 is a little much on the RAT2. I tried running it on 10:00 but wasn't quiet enough, so I been running at 12:00. I back the guitar volume off for rhythm and turn it up for lead. Works sweet! The TS-9 into it kicks up some nice harmonics. Also use a chorus with the RAT sometimes. It seems to have a cleaning up more focused effect on it. Nothing perfect but all the same good fun. Platefire

the tool likes this.

19. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Haha, i recognize everything you say. I still have my sweet spot around 10-11 on the distortion. Then i have a Timmy before the Rat wich is my low gain pedal. If i use the Timmy and Rat at the same time i get some really nice harmonics and pinch squeely stuff (wich i suck playing, but Its fun).
    The chorus and Rat thing is something i discovered just the other day! It really fits the Rat with some movement a chorus has. Im experimenting with some vine/trem to to see what happens. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.