Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD- Rowin Dumbler

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Rowin-DUMBLER-LEF-315-MAIN-A.jpg 41mXASmBD1L.jpg Another great sounding pedal from Rowin. Very bright and clear, similar to the Pure Sky, at least with the Voice and Tone pots at about 3 o'clock, with about the same level of gain and compression. I don't think it's the same as the Tomsline, 'cause it sounds less ragged, much smoother, cleaner and clearer without being harsh. And all the controls seem to be slightly different, so it doesn't appear to be the same board in a different case. For instance, on the Tomsline the three small pots are more all in a row, whereas on the Rowin the Voice pot is more higher than the other two (how's that for good grammar?). And the distance between the gain pot and switch and other small details seem to be a bit different than the Tomsline one. I also like that the three small pots have white pointers (not shown on this photo, but mine has 'em) on them so you can see where they're set to, which a lot of minis don't have, and it's really hard to tell where the control is set.
    It's got a very heavy solid case, and a nice metal gain knob. A very classy pedal overall.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    uriah1, Felino, jddub440 and 3 others like this.

2. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    I appreciate your info on these type pedals.

jddub440 and DougM like this.

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I have one and like it a lot! Replaced my TS - style on the board.

4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I've considered buying one to compare to my diy ZenDrive and use on a "grab and go" board. The controls are the same as the ZenDrive. Does the voice knob also affect the gain like it does on the ZenDrive?

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry, I just saw your post after a month. So, the answer is no, the gain level doesn't change with the voice control, just the tonality.

6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Oh, too bad, then it's not a ZenDrive because that is one of the characteristics of the ZenDrive circuit.

joealso likes this.

7. kevsonic

kevsonic TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for the report! On a somewhat related note the Joyo Tai Chi has really impressed me, especially when used to feed into a Timmy (or relatively eq-neutral box of one's choosing). Very dark and rich-sounding and tons of available volume and (for me at least) gain.

The world of Dumblish emulators seems to be pretty varied, though, along all price-points. My other one is a Mojo hand fx extra special, which is a little more forbidding, a little more difficult to pair up than the Joyo, and vastly different sound, although its range of sounds is awfully impressive.

The Rowin sounds like a winner, even if it it's merely Zen-inspired.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I have the Tomsline. The little time I've spent with it made me love it. Definitely a contender as an "always on" pedal.

Now, I'm curious about the Rowin.

9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    got one

like it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.