Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NPD: Moen Shaky Jimi

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axis29, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

So, I had never heard of Moen pedals until some recent thread on TGP mentioned this Shaky Jimi MO-VB univibe pedal. I did some typical Youtubing and decided I liked it. went searching for it and was amazed at the eBay price of 64.88 shipped! I figured, man, for that price I could always give it a shot.

Uhmmm, I like it. I like it a lot! It makes the notes all watery sounding! Amazing. I see why Hendrix liked the univibe effect! I was getting lost playing with it. And, I'm not usually a weird, spacy, time changing, tone changing effect kinda guy. I have been wanting to add a univibe type pedal to my arsenal... and this one fits the bill nicely.

Sturdy enclosure, painted flat purple with an orange Hendrix image on it. It's got three knobs: speed, intensity and hue. It also has a switch to go between vibe and chorus. It's got the typical Boss 9 volt port and battery compartment.

Hue is a tone control... maybe a bit of a treble cut? With it all the way trebly, it's kind of harpsichord sounding. But not too plinky. With hue all the way the other direction, the tone of the guitar is still hit with a bit of upper mids, there's is definitely a change in the tone of the guitar, no matter where it's set. But it's part of the effect. Not a distraction.

Speed and Intensity are just as described. As you lighten up on intensity, it really flattens out and makes it seem like the speed is also effected. Not in a bad way, and it might just be an auditory illusion. But they seem to effect each other just the same.

I've been wanting to play Cold Shot for a while... It was the first riff I laid down. With controls set randomly, it sounded right. Instantly, it sounded right. So, then it was to the one I've really wanted to add to a live set, Machine Gun. Oh my! Yes, the attack and compression at the front of the notes is there, the watery, rippling effect on the longer notes was wonderful!

I've got a '63 Vibroverb and I love it's Bias Vary Trem. I mean I love it. I won't even turn the trem on on my '69 Vibrolux. But, this vibe is a different sound altogether. Very different in a psychedelic kinda way! LOL

I've never owned a Univibe clone or even a vibe pedal of note. I tried getting the sound out of my Electric Mistress and it just isn't there. I can't compare it to a real Univibe, or even a good clone, but the tone was there under my fingers instantly. It sounded like the recordings I love so much. And, it sounded like it enough for any use I will have (a few songs in an evening's set) and for a price that was truly music to my pocket book!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

(oh and i haven't really played with the chorus yet :mrgreen:)

2. cellrebral

cellrebral Tele-Meister

You use a pocket Book? or is that a European handbag? Just Kidding, great review of the pedal. Thanks for taking the time. Glad you found something that you are pleased with and will inspire you.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

It's not a purse... it's European!

Seriously, not sure what happened with that one! I was thinking wallet... guess I needed more coffee!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I had a Moen Shaky Jimi way back when they first came out. The one I had used optical sensors for the effect, not sure if they still do.

I liked it...a lot...at home.

I took it to a couple gigs and it did not sit in the mix well, I found that the overall volume dropped too much for my liking. Maybe all vibrato effects are like that, I don't know, but this one just didn't sit well in a live situation.

But again, I really loved the sound at home, I would probably like it in a recording situation as well. Just not live with a band.

JMHO. YMMV.

6. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

I'll be trying it live next Tuesday. So, we'll see.

At lower volumes, I didn't notice a volume drop. But, I'll check it later today to see.

Thanks Chris.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

I noticed a little bit of a volume drop. Mine must be the older version, it's just purple, no orange image of Jimi.

The vibrato sounds good. There is no tone control on mine.

The chorus is completely useless.

I tried to take the battery out and ended up destroying the 9V clip. Oops.

8. billmag

billmag TDPRI Member

Great review of the newer model...one with the Hue control. I have an older model without that control and I am still very impressed with it as compared to the high $$ boutiques. I read in a forum that you can increase the performance of it by placing a cover/shield (dark color) over each LED/Photocell pair. I noticed a slight difference. Have fun with it.

9. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Played the newer version at a friend's studio last month. Sounded great, at least in the studio. Considered getting one but a little concerned about durability, i.e., stage-worthiness. Didn't feel as rock-solid as a Boss or MXR pedal. Just my opinion, though.

10. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Glad to hear of another positive experience with a Moen Pedal. i have the Fuzz Moo and it's a dead ringer for a big muff pi. As for durability, it's built like a tank.

11. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Meister

Ive got a ShakyJimi V2, and combined with my DingoTone germanium fuzz and strat, I can get lost for hours! Great fun! Ive read somewhere that the chorus side can be dialed in to cop a leslie-style effect, but haven't spent much time in chorus mode yet. I do agree with chrisgblues regarding the volume drop....would be a problem if I used the pedal at gigs.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, dingotone classic 70's fuzz owner here. Cool pedal. That is all. :cool:

13. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

So, this thread fits like a glove... I just got my Moen Shaky Jimi today.

Not much to add up to what Axis29 said - all those swirling tones you heard from Hendrix, Trower and Gilmour are there. Fast and slow pseudo-leslie, check. I just can't get a bad sound out of it (well, just keep reading...).

BTW, the hue seems to bring back highs and high-mids that go missing with the same knob set on the first half of its range. If the older version's internal hue was factory set "before 1:00" I understand it's definitely gonna set your sound back in the mix. I'm leaving the hue at 2:00 most of the time - it seems to give me more presence. Set it too high (maybe 3:00 and above) and the highs start getting too pronounced and brittle.

Apparently, construction seems to be on MXR level, no kidding (time will tell.. I've used a Phase 90 for 5 years, no issues). Now for the con...and it's a big one. Along with all the delicious swooshing tones I'm getting that annoying "rate tick" (a neverending background buzzing that follows the rate setting - if you don't know what I'm talking about :)). So, I'd like to know what's you guys experience with this... anyone got rate tick? How did you cure it? What power supply are you using (mine is only 500mA and kinda noisy even with other pedals so that may be a cause)? I also tried a half-used 9v battery (cheapo one that I usually buy to power the fuzz pedals) and the tick is less intense but it's still there.

I have to admit that if I can't get this fixed I'm certainly selling the pedal... sad, yes, cos' I'm absolutely loving the effect :(.

(yeah, first post, but I don't consider myself a newbie around here - I've been reading this forum for 9 years or so :)).

14. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Hmm, I've got no ticking. I've used it with my PP2+ and a OneSpot (by itself on the 1Spot). There is a pulsing hiss, but only in a quiet room. In a band setting, you'd never hear it. The hiss is super faint and comes in when on the peak of the wave and goes to absolute silence at every other time.

I've been running the hue around 1-2 o'clock as well. It doesn't exactly get muffled at lower settings, but the attack at the front of the notes definitely disappears. Running it past 3 definitely gets plucky... For lack of a better description.

As for volume drop? I was pushing it a bit louder into my Blues Jr this evening and it does take a little volume away from the overall sound. But it's tied in with that attack of the hue. By cranking the hue it comes back a bit. I can see how you might want to add a little oomph when it's turned on to make up for it... But, if you do like me and play with the guitar volume back a touch, you can just roll it up when you step on the SJ. At least that's the way I will approach it. Although realistically I am not one to tap on and off effects in the middle of a song either (not enough brain power for that most days! LOL).

I recorded a few samples earlier... Tomorrow I'll chop them up and see whether they are worth posting.

15. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the reply, Axis. I'll try changing the p. supply first. I think it's time to let go of the crappy one I got for free and upgrade to a One Spot at least! LOL

I'm also digging the vibrato effect (labeled "chorus" on the Shaky Jimi, I dunno why). Most people probably wouldn't like to have the depth too high otherwise you'll get that "seasick" tone that's just horrid IMO, but on moderate settings it sounds wonderful for slow arpeggiated passages (for those wondering, the hue control doesn't work in this setting).

I think losing a bit of volume may just be the nature of the beast, nothing too annoying here, at least IMO - I was testing it on "loud bedroom" volume this evening and the slight volume loss didn't worry, once again I think 2:00 is close, but as you said it still alters the original tone somehow. Let me get the rate ticking fixed and I'll put it for the "jam" trial. :)

And let us hear the samples!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  16. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

According to the few reviews out there, this was a big problem with the early version of SJ. The newest version is supposed to reduce but not eliminate the rate tick, which apparently is not that noticable if you're playing in tempo with it.

17. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Joe, I had heard about it. But the ticking I'm getting with this "Gen. 3" is just outrageous. If a more decent power supply supply isn't enough to reduce that to at least bearable levels I'm certainly selling it, but not without mentioning the issue I was experiencing.

18. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Soundfiles... just noodling, nothing really worth while listening too. But, I promised them, just the same.

This was my Partscaster T-Style, old pine body, TMO-FAT neck, Bill Lawrence Keystones into my Blues JR NOS wiht only the Shaky Jimi... and really, just kinda playing with the effect and goofing around.

Offering #1
    Offering #2 - (a little long, but it's really interesting how bad a simple shuffle can sound!)
    Offering #3

Sounds pretty cool... if you ignore the playing! :mrgreen:

19. PrimeA71

PrimeA71 Tele-Meister

Hey Axis, Listened to the samples and the Shaky Jimi definately sounds nice. Seems many of those who replied here are using the vibrato setting of they're uni-vibe though . I may be wrong here, but I thought it was the chorus setting of the uni-vibe that was most often used by Trower,Hendrix,Gilmour? At least for getting that pseudo Leslie type thing going on, I believe it's the chorus setting that was/is most commonly used. My intention here ain't to offend anyone, just trying to set the record straight for myself.

20. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

They've labeled the original "chorus" mode (which never really was what we understand as "chorus" these days) as "vibe" - I'm ok with that one. But the vibrato got named "chorus" on the SJ. :confused:

So, here goes my little contribution; maybe you can hear the "bzzz..bzzz" on the background. Anyway, the whole file IS noisy, (my setup is terrible right now and I'm sure this must be to blame also) and I recorded this a minute ago in the quickest way possible - Ipod Nano mic :mrgreen:

https://www.box.com/s/r5nhlmeaw8l2g4oqq1ia

I don't have the album here to compare but maybe it's close enough. This is "vibe mode" with depth on 3:00, rate on 9:00 and hue between 1 and 2:00.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  21. PrimeA71

PrimeA71 Tele-Meister

:eek: Haha, that's crazy! So they've basically mis-labled the modes in a bassackwards fashion on the SJ? And true, "chorus" on a uni-vibe is a different beast from your typical chorus pedal. Even still, I much prefer the chorus mode on vibes, it's almost like an extremely dry chorus when the vibe throb intensity has been set really low.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.