Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Mad Professor SHOD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by indodeluxe, Oct 6, 2017.

1. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    Just picked one of these up from some dude on CL for $90, and WOW. I am impressed. I compared it to my BBE Green Screamer and a friend's Maxon OD9 and Boss Blues Driver. It blew everything else out of the water. Stacks great with the Green Screamer driving it. The ONLY complaint I have is I wish there was a little more boost on the volume knob when the gain is low or off.

However, I discovered that I really hate the Blues Driver. The gain and tone knobs have a really limited usable range and on higher settings the pedal just sounded like total ass. To me it sounded best set as a dirty boost, but I have other pedals that serve that function just as well, if not better. I really had a hard time understanding the hype around this pedal after playing it.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

2. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    I also liked the BBE Green Screamer better than the Maxon OD-9, which really surprised me. I've heard the BBE is a copy of a Son of Screamer circuit, which I'm pretty sure is essentially an 808 circuit but true bypass. The OD-9 is obviously based on the TS-9 circuit but true bypass. The Green Screamer seemed to not cut quite as much bass and treble as the OD-9, and it also seemed to have an overall smoother character. Next task is to pick up a cheap used Boss SD-1 and see how I like it compared to the green screamer.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Cool. Other than a middling version of a TS, the SHOD is the only overdrive pedal I've ever used.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I also liked the Sweet Honey. It's a very good OD.

Rospo likes this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Got one too. Nice pedal.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Anyone run this pedal into a fuzz? or vice versa?

7. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Can I ask what guitar and what amp you are using to put the SHOD into context please.
    Mine sits between Tele and delux reverb.
    Recently it's been last in my chain but it cuts an amount of bass so I'm thinking of using it up front as a treble boost. Or just removing it.

Eddie

8. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    So far I've played it using my Indonesian Squier Telecaster Custom, which is loaded with stock regular sized humbuckers, through Logic Pro amp sims and an old crappy 1x8" Peavey practice amp from the '80s. To me, the SHOD seems to like the 'buckers driving the input a bit. I have a '69 Sunn Sceptre that I should dig out of storage to test my stuff out with, but I haven't played in a live context in years. Right now I just do home recording stuff, and micing a tube amp isn't really feasible in my current paper walls living situation. I actually like a bass cut in most overdrive pedals. I find that it helps clear things up for me. I really like that it has the high end clarity that my Green Screamer seemed to be missing, and the midrange character is very pleasing. The sensitive picking dynamics are what really won me over though. I haven't had a chance to see what it sounds like driving my BAT Pharoah fuzz, but I'm expecting it to be glorious.

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Fender BMR, 2x12. SHOD preserves the scoop. One of my tele's has a series position it likes a lot, though.

I hear the treble, but to me it's part of an overall hi-fi detailing. I play country, so...

10. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Thanks. Out of interest are you stacking the SHOD from or into anything and is the Amp sim you are using in Logic a clean or dirty setting?

See, I have an LGW as well and that does sound good through the DRRI (set for clean), But for the last 2 years Ive swapped the SHOD to be before and after the LGW about 100 times, can never work out which way around I like it best. Keep losing the warmth from the LGW if the SHOD is last etc, otoh, the SHOD provides some cut+thrust when placed last.

The problems of having too much gear.....

11. indodeluxe

indodeluxe TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    US
    I've only used with amp sims set clean so far, just the AC-30 and Twin sims. As far as stacking I've only tried it with the Green Screamer into the SHOD, but I want to flip it around and see how that sounds. I really liked it with the input being driven by the Green Screamer, but it loses some of the picking dynamics and takes on the aggressive mid-range character of the BBE.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.