NPD: Lovepedal EPH-3 - my personal learning curve

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Jun 18, 2019.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I recently got the EPH-3 from Lovepedal. I've used a Carbon Copy for about nine years, and before that had the big Danelectro Dan-Echo. (Even farther back I had a DOD FX90.).

Short review: Love it with my acoustic guitar. Learning how to use it on electric.

Longer version:
    I've been wanting another &/or more sophisticated delay to go with my CC. (1) I like the idea of two delay settings at my feet; (2) have heard some cool things using two delays in series but have never had a chance to do it myself; (3) I've been doing a lot more acoustic gigs and have gotten tired of rearranging pedal boards for acoustic or electric., so one pedal for each board. But the prices of pedals with tap, multi-emulations, etc. were beyond what my music is bringing in these days. I'd learned about the EPH-3 via the Lovepedal sales and after reading/watching reviews over a couple of months I grabbed one back in May.

Playing electric (only in the house so far), I'm having trouble getting good settings. I think this is because I am so used to the Carbon Copy. The range of the knobs on the EPH-3 are different (for one, there is a longer delay time available so a tiny movement of that knob makes a bigger difference). The repeat and mix are likely just due to design. On the CC, I have the mod trim pots set fairly subtle, so the Flutter on the EPH-3 is much more noticeable. Finally, the repeats on the EPH-3 stay brighter than the CC - which I knew when buying and is actually one of the reasons I got it to be different from the CC. None of this is to say I don't like the EPH-3; it's just that it's going to take more time of messing around with it until I find how to make it work for me.

Now on the acoustic side it was love at first gig. I took the EPH-3 along to an outdoor farmers market and easily found settings I liked. I kept it on the whole time and even took the reverb off of the guitar channel on the mixer. Keeping the Delay & Feedback just a hair above minimum, and mix at about 1/4 gives a nice doubling/reverb effect. Adding more of both depending on song for slapback or longer delays sounds great. For cleaner sounds the Flutter is rolled all the way off, but for some rockabilly or rougher roots/Americana songs I've had Flutter up to 1/2. It adds atmosphere without killing the initial clean signal. I played two more gigs this weekend, one indoors in a low ceiling space and another outdoors in a park and had fun figuring out settings for different styles of songs.

Paul in Colorado and teletimetx like this.
  2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

How's the gain/distortion/warmth sound with an acoustic?

I noticed the repeats get 'dirty' in a good way with humbuckers. Not as noticeable with single coils.

3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I had no issue at all with that. I had the mix fairly low (maybe 11:00 at the highest; usually around 8:00 or 9:00). But I thought the direct signal came through nice and clean so any degradation on the repeats, with or without flutter dialed in. just added to the ambiance without muddying up the overall sound.

I'll add that it was just me playing solo. As such, I could never really hear everything together (voice & guitar) from a distance. But walking out the ten or so feet my cable allowed sounded good to me. Also no monitor so standing beside the speaker was plenty for me to perform with but missing a lot of top end that an audience would be hearing. I'm playing folk, roots, Americana, rock (John Prine, Avett Brothers, Van Morrison, Carter Family, etc.); almost entirely flat picked. If you're looking for a pristine finger-picked sound the EPH-3 might not work, but I definitely like it better than the Carbon Copy for this application.

4. Lies&Distortion

^I don't see it as an issue, just an observation. I have two of them now.

5. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I get what you mean. But what's good with humbuckers into a guitar amp may not be so good with an acoustic guitar. My Gibson has a good undersaddle pickup and powered preamp, but still not the same output level as a humbucker. Unless I turn the Flutter pretty far up, the repeats on the EPH-3 don't seem to degrade as much as the Carbon Copy. Which may be why I like the EPH-3 better than the CC for acoustic.

6. Lies&Distortion

Cool

7. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It’s short but some good starting points.

emisilly likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one & like it a lot -- the secret for me in making it work is just to turn it down, so the echo sits "behind" the note. I find I can use longer echoes & more modulation if the echo sound is down in the mix. The thing I love about this pedal is that the preamp colors the sound a bit; with the echo down the guitar just sounds better when I turn the echo on -- fatter, fuller, but not so much echoey.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.