Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Less is more: Lovepedal Deluxe 4-knob (6G3)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by theprofessor, Oct 3, 2017.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    For some time I've been curious about Sean Michael's 4-knob Deluxe pedal. I have a Les Lius, and I love it. And I really liked the idea of a brown Tolex-type sound in a box. This pedal delivers the goods. It's a low-gain pedal, but I've come to realize that this is what I like: something that sounds like it's pushing the amp to the edge of breakup, but not into full saturation. The High Powered Tweed Twin setting does that on the Les Luis. And this 4-knob Deluxe does it while offering a slightly "browner" sound.

One of the things I really like about this pedal is that it has knobs for treble and bass (bottom), in addition to volume and gain (top). If Lovepedal can be faulted for anything, it's probably for having too little control over the contour of the sound of many of their pedals (including the Les Lius). Not so with this one. I often hear people say of pedals that they can make your amp sound overdriven even at lower volumes. That is, you don't have to juice the amp to get it to sound juiced. I thought that was pretty much bunk. Well this 4-knob Deluxe does it. Really. And it's not only about giving you an edge-of-breakup sound; it also provides the touch sensitivity that normally only accompanies amps at high volume. I have not experienced anything like that from a pedal before.

I ran this through my 1976 Deluxe Reverb with a SSS Strat tonight. Amp volume on 3.5, and the pedal at the settings below. The guitar responded like the amp was on 5, and the sound was tremendous. Volume just below noon. Gain about all the way up. Treble at 1-2 o'clock, and bass at noon.

IMG_3756.JPG

2. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Congrats! I almost pulled the trigger on that during the recent sale. Demos sounded very nice.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats. Love me some Lovepedals. I've got my eye on the one knob JTM, but wish it had more knobs too.

5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Read this post this morning. In a couple of hours, I was buying a Lovepedal deluxe 4-knob (but the blackface version).
    Thank for the GAS. :D

theprofessor likes this.

6. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Always happy to pass the GAS.

ukepicker likes this.

7. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Does anyone know whether the Lovepedal 4-knob Deluxe can run off of an 18V power supply? I already own a Fulltone 18V power supply, and I'd like to try it out to see if it makes a difference, provided that it is safe to do.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I know the blackface Deluxe is, it states it in sale ad, it's a 4 knob just like brownface. Pretty sure all the Deluxe variants are 18v safe but I'm not gonna claim responsibility if you fry your pedal.

Probably be best to shoot off a email to Paul at LP headquarters.

But you know, brownface is so edge of clean anyway I'd be more inclined to make sure I used a zinc carbon battery or voltage sag box to bring out a bit more sag and grit out of it. It's one I've been meaning to pickup and try but I have no shortage of edge of clean sounds anyway so not a high priority. But he throws them out there all time at $56 a pop so in the pedal world it's almost like buying a bag of chips cheap anyway.

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, DaveKS! I had no idea about a zinc carbon battery making a difference in sound. In fact, I have no idea what that is! I'll give it a shot.

10. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Also: Speaking of grit, I've found that I really like using the Lovepedal Deluxe (6G3) pedal to give me a generally browner and more midrange sound that takes me to the edge of breakup. And then for that extra grit or spark on the high notes, I kick in the Way Huge Red Llama. The combination is fantastic.

11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I am using them like this...The Silverface is the best of the bunch.

Attached Files:

12. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Nice, Strato50! Can you tell me how the other Deluxe pedal differs from the 4-knob one? I'm playing into a SF Deluxe Reverb, so I thought going for a brown Tolex Deluxe sound would offer me something that was more different from the sound of my amp.

EDIT: Is that silver one the 5E3 Deluxe? At first I thought it was the Blackface Deluxe pedal. I have a 5E3 setting on my Les Lius, but I'd like to know what that toggle does on yours.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    ukepicker likes this.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I am running the Silverface at low gain and toggle in the middle for most headroom...it has more of an open airy touch sensitive type break and really works well the guitar volume to get clean. The Champ is killer... its a one trick pony.. but really good at it...I think it has the best of the all out break up...The Brown deluxe just doesn't do it for me....i'st for sale actually if someone wants it....it might sound more airy with 18 volts....not sure about that though.

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    The silverface in front of a TS9 is the ticket....that is a sweet breakup

15. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I emailed the folks at Lovepedal today. Paul there tells me that the 4-knob Deluxe runs at 9V max, and the Les Lius runs at 12V max.

Guit_fishN, ukepicker and Strato50 like this.

16. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    WHOOPS.

Got my blackface deluxe today, plugged it in for a quick test during my lunch break. Sounded better to me running at 12V. Maybe I like the sound of frying components?

I seemed to work better and had higher headroom before breaking up, so maybe it's not all that bad for it???

Interesting pedal, the blackface deluxe. Especially into my 68 CPR. Just a different flavor of something very similar. It seemed to move the mids around a little. Kinda like the difference between cherry candy and wild cherry candy. Is there one???

It has a nice smooth breakup. I'm anxious to spend more time with it - RUNNING AT 9V - to see if I can get some edge of breakup tones that I like, at a volume my wife likes.

17. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hi @ukepicker - I think that the Blackface Deluxe pedal is different from these other two, in terms of power supply (see DaveKS's post #8 above). So you may be fine running it on 12V.

ukepicker likes this.

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Here's the sale page PDF where it states blackface is safe to 18v.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti0qflac6...E -50 BONES! – LovePedal Custom Shop.pdf?dl=0

ukepicker likes this.

19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well, zinc-carbon batteries are the oldest type. They came before all alkaline and lithium types. Many of the 1st pedals were designed using them. Usually their the cheap dollar store batteries, they'll be labeled as such, or they say heavy duty or say they are a green battery.

My VFE Fuzz Solo Germanium and Lovepedal BBB18 fuzz do sound different with them, only 2 pedals I have that I'll bother with them. It's not only that they have slightly less voltage output but they also have current sag. Just as some will say a certain amp may sound better to them with a certain rectifier in it because of current sag.

There are even devices made to plug into your modern power supplies made mimic a old battery feel.

[​IMG]

Even Mike Matthews of EHX has got in on the "vintage battery" hype.
    [​IMG]

Here's batteries and butter, as you can see they are the cheapest batteries there are.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/hd.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.