Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD, Joyo American Sound. Used the firstime live today. Impresive!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stratman54, Apr 23, 2017.

1. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    I bought a Joyo American Sound pedal and got to use it for the first time live today. I play in a worship band directly to the PA, no amps. We use IEMs so there is no onstage volume other than the drummer who is in a drum enclosure. I have used a Line6 Pod HD500X for a couple of years and could never dial in a good clean (just on the edge of breakup) Fender amp sound. I watched several YouTube videos for this pedal and figured $33.00 was worth the gamble.

I have been pleasingly surprised by it. I use a Blues Jr. NOS and I was able to easily dial in the tone and feel that I was looking for. It cleans up nicely when rolling back the volume pot. I needed a little more crunch and with a twist of the voice knob got just what I needed. If you are looking for a decent Fender amp in a box pedal at a resonable price I would recomend this one, even if it was just to keep in your bag in case your amp crapped out on you and you needed something to patch into the board. It is quiet unless you open it all the way up, but who has an amp that doesn't do that?

tele-bastard and Alamo like this.

2. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome to the club.
    I'm past the initial Wow! impression but still think it's a mighty fine pedal.
    I have two now. thought the 1st one had totally crapped out. some soldering on the ribbon cable solved it.
    In the mean time I had ordered a second one. nice to not pull the pedal board apart if I only need the AS.
    double backup.heh.

tele-bastard likes this.

3. Sometimesyoudie

Sometimesyoudie Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you ever compared it to the tech 21 stuff? I just posted looking for the same thing for the same application

4. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    The vids I have seen comparing the two pedals led me to try the Joyo. I mean you could buy five of them compared to the Tech 21. I know the arguments against cheaper clones, but that has been going on since the beginning of time. Some one always building a better mousetrap.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

5. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Glad you like it. Mine is still going strong after more then a year of being stomped on and taken out to jams. I mainly use it as a tone shaper/eq set with the character knob to the left for the Fender scooped sound. Makes my Princeton 65 (SS) sound better then it is and I like how it adds some high end and definition to my vintage style fuzz. I'm not sure how it stacks up next to some of the other Tweed sounding pedals that are out but I do use it for some Neil Young and blues songs with the character knob to the right and the drive turned up with good results. I also picked up the AC tone used and like it as well. Unfortunately I have no room on my board for more dirt pedals so it is on the bench for now.

LucasT likes this.

6. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Does this pedal function well as a standalone headphone amp? That vid was really impressive, but in my experience it's hard to find something that sounds decent through phones. I would pick this and their Vox emulator in a heartbeat if I could get tones like that through phones.

7. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    I just tried headphones direct out on my Joyo AC Tone, which is similar to the American Sound. It sounds decent through the phones, and most likely a bit better with a headphone amp, although not really necessary. I turned the level on full and used the voice and drive knobs for different sounds.

I have an American Sound as well, just didn't want to unplug it from my little pedal board. The EQ on these two Joyos are the most functional I have experienced, much better than what's on my amps.

LucasT likes this.

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    My new American sound is fine through an amp but very quiet through headphone s.,cant hear much except on overdrive all the way up .Is that normal of has it a fault ?

9. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I really like the Vox Amplug for this application:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-amplug-2-ac30-guitar-headphone-amp

I have the AC 30 model, but there is also a Twin model if you're looking for the Fender sound. I bought it for traveling. Previously I used my iPad and an Apogee Jam, but that's 2 pieces of gear, plus a guitar cable, plus the headphones. The little Vox box plugs directly into your guitar, has a choice of effects, and can take aux input from my iPod if I want to play with a track or drum app.

10. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    It mostlikely depends on the ohm rating of the headphones.
    also the joyo's don't have a TSR jack so you're only hearing a mono signal on one can unless you wiggle it halfway in.
    some small headphone amp will help.

11. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Run it into a cheap mixer first and it sounds great through headphones!

Alamo likes this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this, because I don't have any headphones option on my current set-up.

I'm interested in the Clean version, but can you plug your board into it? I just can't figure out the cables connections.

And of course, it doesn't have to plug right into the guitar, right? Can't you use a 1/4 male to 1/4 female cable, and just lay the unit next to your board?

13. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    You can skip the 1/4 male to 1/4 female cable. just plug it into the ouput of your last pedal.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I knew this was simple!

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.