Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Fulltone Soul Bender v2 #53xx...my Turbo Rat should be concerned...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Sep 9, 2018.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    I had a V1 Soul Bender back around 2007 right after he had stopped making them and ended up not keeping it. I don't even remember why I got rid of it - guess I wasn't into Fuzz pedals back then so much....

Fast-forward 10 years and for the last year have been on a fuzz hunt...thought a BMP circuit would do it or a Fuzz Face, but when I switched to a Fender Bassman, I didn't like those sounds anymore...

Everything I heard/read about Bassman and Fuzz was 1) Don't do it, or 2) Tone Bender....

I had tried out a couple more recent versions of the SB2, #6xxx and up and they just weren't inspiring me. They were ok, but didn't do it for me...

This past week i am on a working vacation and make my rounds to the local music stores and one of them has an SB2 that had been sitting there for a while, maybe a year or so...plug it in to the closest thing to a bassman I could find in the shop ( A Victoria Golden Melody - has Tweed Bassman tone stack) and I really like what I hear - I could not find a bad sound in the pedal - made me realize the others I had listened to were thinner sounding somehow - maybe it was just perception, I don't know.

I pulled the trigger and have been in some sonic joy since. It might even permanently bump the Rat off the board ( I know I just lost some people with this statement.) This is a great fuzz pedal...my late 80s Turbo Rat may have met its match....

IMG_0758.JPG

2. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2010
    Arizona
    I’ll buy your Turbo Rat!
    And give it a good loving home:)

4pickupguy and RetroTeleRod like this.

3. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    The RAT will be back... they always come back...

4pickupguy, zippofan and RetroTeleRod like this.

4. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Your still my friend...I thought I would be dead to you the moment I typed that....this means a lot...

4pickupguy and PigBoy like this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I was alright for a while
    I could smile for a while
    but then you ditched your Rat
    can't hardly believe that
    please say it isn't so
    Though I wish you well
    I have to tell
    that I've been cryin'

[​IMG]

karpis, 4pickupguy and bluesholyman like this.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It is to die without honor! Baragtosh!!

3965F64B-619D-4816-8CF1-DA10CD3FE234.gif

bluesholyman likes this.

7. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Hmmmm. There’s one of these in a local shop for a hundo. Might have to take it for a spin. I too am a RATman.

4pickupguy likes this.

8. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    The Turbo is a great Rat, a little more open, not as compressed, otherwise Rat DNA through and through....

jondanger likes this.

9. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I should check one out. I know Teenage Fanclub uses them, and I’m a big . . . fan.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The Turbo is my favorite Rat. You can convert any Rat to a Turbo with $.50 worth of LEDs and about an hour of your time. If you want to take it a little further, put the original clipping diodes and the LEDs on a switch and you can switch between sounds. I did that to my '80s small box Rat, but I just leave it in Turbo mode.

11. D_Malone

D_Malone TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Ferndale, MI
    I'm considering grabbing one of these.

-How well does it clean up when you roll back the guitar's volume control?

-How much low end does it have? Tighter than a Fuzz Face?

-Does it sound best into an amp that's already breaking up, or will it sound good into a clean amp?

12. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    The pedal is Mike's [Fuller] take on a Tone Bender MK III - having never heard one of those, I can't say for sure, but I'd say it sounds very much like a Tone Bender.

The main reason I like it is that its more organic than sterile sounding to me (maybe could be read as a little loose, but not obnoxiously so) and that tone knob has a really nice useful sweep to it. It can take it from a very cutting sound to something warmer and more thick and fuzzy. I dig it.

With humbuckers its pretty much fuzz in the 9-10 range and anything below that goes much cleaner rather quickly. My understanding is that this is "normal" behavior for certain fuzz types. Having said that, how hard I hit the strings definitely varied the amount of fuzz character. With just fingers, I could go from slightly dirty to all out fuzz without adjusting any controls, so the pedal is very responsive.

I can't compare them side by side, but I would say this has more low-end than a typical FF circuit. I am going by memory here so, I might be off. I don't think I would call it tighter - thats not the feeling I got, but the low end is nicely controlled.

I think that depends on the amp. I like how it sounds through a clean amp as I demo'd it that way. When I ran it through my little 5w tube amp at about half volume, edge of breaking up, its really a great sound.

If you are particular about your pedals then you should definitely sit down with one before buying. Took me a year to figure out this was the fuzz for me and that only after trying several of them at different stores. I don't think Mike has a quality issue by any means, but this one I found had that sound I was after and others didn't - could have been the way the wind was blowing, but I like this pedal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

13. D_Malone

D_Malone TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Ferndale, MI
    Thanks! Clean-up with the guitar's volume control is a must for me. I'm hoping you're wrong about the low end.
    I'll do some research. Thanks again, and enjoy!

14. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have an original that’s been collecting dust for years.. might have to drag it back out and put it through the paces again. I’m just too lazy to mess with pedals 99% of the time.. straight in for me.

15. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    The original is definitely different from the current V2 version...

16. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    There is a gearmandude demo that is the Soul Bender and ‘69 Fuzz side by side that may be of interest to you.

D_Malone likes this.

17. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Ran it through the bassman tonight...the low end is definitely not as prominent as I remember the FF being. Probably best to describe as "definitely there, but more controlled / tighter"

D_Malone likes this.

18. bluesholyman

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    As for my Turbo Rat, it stays - they are two really different animals and The Rat holds its own once again...

@PigBoy @RetroTeleRod and others will be glad to hear this...

AxeVictimAZ and RetroTeleRod like this.

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You are forgiven. Let us never speak of this moment of weakness again!

20. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2010
    Arizona
    I knew you'd come around!;)
    Too bad for me cuz I would have given it a good home but in all honesty I'm happy for you.
    I have wasted more time and money dicking around with pedals over the years and keep coming back to the same stuff I've had forever.
    When I bought it then, I bought it because it sounded great. If it hadn't sounded great then why would I still have it after all this time?:confused:
    Seriously, congratulations. Now, post up some clips!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.