NPD EHX Soul Food

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Lord_Ingipz, May 24, 2019.

1. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Just got this in today and has replaced my crazy cacti for all my overdrive needs. Never played a Klon circuit but this is the tone that I was looking for! Pairs amazingly well with my esquire and have yet to try the Ibby.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

A Klon will give a nice beefy boost to your pickups.

El Tele Lobo and Lord_Ingipz like this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m thinking about getting one myself. Do you think it replaces the TS9 or enhance it?

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  4. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Definitely adds girth to single coils and pushes the amp with amazing break up. Wow I'm in love with my tone. Will post a clip!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

I think it replaces it. I tried the pair together and just gets too muddy. The mids are overpowered with my set up. it's Nice and transparent and gives lots of beef to your guitars. I can play Iron Maiden riffs with the esquire and gain maxed on the soul food with the ac30.

El Tele Lobo and 8barlouie like this.
  6. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Little suggestion:

I love the Soul Food, but I found the drive knob a little harsh and unpleasant. If you only want it for a clean boost, or if you like the way the drive sounds, more power to you. But if you're looking to stack the soul food with something that'll really bring out the best in it, I recommend the Earthquaker Bows. The bows is a germanium preamp, in the tradition of a Dallas rangemaster. But there's something about feeding my soul food, with the drive anywhere from 10 to 2 o'clock, into the bows that changes the character of the crunch into something absolutely incredible. Food for thought.

7. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

I don't find the harshness to be noticeable to my ears. I have an EQD speaker cranker that makes it more fuzzy tone. The clean boost is something I'm getting used to. Mostly used to playing completely clean

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Can't wait to hear your clip. I have a Mosky Golden Horse and really like it. Will buy a better Klon one day, but for now it scratches the itch.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  9. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I tried the Soul Food and it was almost what I was looking for. On a whim I tried a pedal called VT Bass and it works really well for guitar. It adds just the right amount of grit. Good for both rhythm and lead. I also tried another supposed bass pedal for distortion. It's called a Bearfoot Blueberry. It's my favorite distortion pedal at the moment.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  10. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Thought about picking that up but heard a side by side comparison of the tumnus, soul food, mosky golden horse, and klon gold. Video is currently being uploaded!

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Soul Food too. REALLY like it. I also have a Mooer version of the BD-2 Waza (with the fat switch) that I used before I tried the Soul Food. ON a whim I tired them together for a bit, with the Mooer mostly acting as a clean boost and the Soul Food for dirt and that combination produced all sorts of dirt. But realistically, although I liked some of the sounds I came up with that way, they weren't sounds I'd really incorporate into how I play, so I took the Mooer off and just use a TC Spark as a clean boost - that'll also send the Soul Food into some pretty busted up territory, but more within the limits I'd generally stay within myself. Usually I use one or the other, but occasionally I'll run them together...

-Ray

12. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Here's the demo!

13. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

It was more than what I expected since most demos I've heard were all on Fender amps and not sure how it would behave with the Vox. Another pickup I plan on getting is turbo or roadkill rat. It pairs well with my EQD Speaker Cranker clone. Gets me from fuzz to almost prog sounds.

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use mine with my AC-15C-1X often. It'll go from a mild gain boost/tone enhancement up to pretty hairy drive. I mostly use it as a mild gain/tone enhancer and will kick in my LPB-1 for heavier sounds. It's mosty a tone enhancement on the Normal Channel, to a mild bump in gain on the Top Boost Channel and a little bit of both on the two channels jumpered togther (I use an ABY for what is essentially three channels).

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

My main use for the SF is as clean boost at the end of the chain, but I think the SF is also great
    - IN FRONT of other pedals (not to mention cranked amps), with gain set to almost nothing. It shelves just the right frequencies and enhances the right frequencies to have your guitar pop out just right
    - As a very low-gain pedal to sweeten and fatten the sound a bit

Fret Wilkes and Lord_Ingipz like this.
  16. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

I've been reading up about this, the timmy and the jhs morning glory. Are there any other klon style pedals that should be on my radar?

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  17. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

kevsonic and srvbluezz like this.
  18. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

I got mine in the normal channel with gain maxed out. Never had a pedal play nice with the volume knob but this is what makes it useable for my type of playing. I do like it the top boost but its super jangly. Something to get used to.
    Still playing around with it and love the low gain sounds. It really does fatten up your tone and no mid range hump that I had with other pedals so it sounds great. I might have to try it at the end of the chain...

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

You could get a caline blue sky which is a timmy clone? The JHS was on my radar for a long time but with all the different versions I kind of gave up and just went EHX on a whim. I am not dissapointed with it at all. Solid pedal and great sounds.

srvbluezz likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Soul food is one of those sneaker pedals, that appear to do a lot of the "klon-esque" stuff. (to me)
    But then again so does the spark,east river,blackbox,pot,TODv1,bad monkey,others..value
    boxes, when dialed in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.