Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NPD: Compressors Essential for Home Tube Amps...?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fatschlamp, Apr 16, 2017.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Based on that alone I feel ya'. I was using a Ross type and an MXR for a bit so I had the option of both an always on mild compressor and a unit that would give me the higher degree of squish and sustain the MXR would. Since the TC has both those options available via a switch plus a 3rd I can download from their Tone Print Library it saved me some space on my board and I ended up selling the other two for more than the TC cost me.

I guess you could always order one online or pick one up at GC try it and if it's not what you need take advantage of their return privilege. Pedals ship pretty inexpensively or with GC you can just return it to a store. Based on how mine it usually set it's pretty much a felt but not heard deal until I add heavier pick attack or more clean boost in front of it. Then it's more obviously there.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    That's a good idea. It never occurred to me to try it via the GC return policy. The selling point for me is not just the toneprint function, but the editor. I use both with my corona, FB x4 and HoF. It's hard to imagine I couldn't get what I'm after with the editor. I did that with the Corona, although I was disappointed that there weren't some parameters available with the Corona that I wanted.

soulman969 likes this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought about that. I guess that's because I seldom take the time to get into some of those deeper functions. But if you do enjoy and use TC pedals I can't help but thinking you might like the Hypergravity too. It may be worth a shot.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Well, you basically cornered me. If I can return it to GC for a full refund, I have nothing, not a single thing to lose. Okay, a little time, but that's slipping through my fingers no matter what I do anyway.

soulman969 likes this.

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    If you like clean sounds to sustain, you need a comp.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Sometimes. Depends on the amp and other factors. I have a low watt single ended amp that gets very sustaining compressed cleans. I set it up for higher headroom, so when you crank up the volume it just compresses more, unless you hit the amp with a ton of signal, it'll start breaking up.
    My 80's voiced ODS clone also has very compressed cleans, on its own, IMO, even at lower volumes.

I will not use a comp with either of these amps for this reason. I'll more often use a comp on a clean amp to even out the spikes on things like funk rhythms, and whatnot, rather than using the comp for sustain. I tend to not really have trouble getting (clean) sustain playing at volume, but for my practice amp, just about every setting has a little compression on it.

Compression is a good thing to have, but I dont find I need it much anymore. When I was younger, my comp was on pretty much 100% of the time. I think my playing and ear developed and I've realized I prefer a more 'natural' compression, which isn't quite as obvious as, say a dyna comp, which has a very audible 'squish'

..but again, sometimes you want that 'squish' I find myself shying away from that sound, except for the very rare occasion.

Iago and Tootle like this.

8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Using a good attenuator really helps when tube amps at low home and recording volumes not just for high gain sounds but clean and edge of break-up too

Iago likes this.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So true. I practice at home with it always on. With the band I only use it for clean leads. Back in the days of my two supers, when ever we would play a tiny room, it saved..... otherwise it was "plinky" city.

Up loud, not needed.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas

11. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Maybe I don't get it...compressors are okay, but I haven't found an easy one to gel with. I'd love to understand them, but I just don't get it. :)

12. I have a Janglebox JB2 on my main pedalboard and an Xotic SP compressor on my second "smaller" board. They are always on when I play. They just make everything sound better.

13. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I was almost obliged to buy a Janglebox last week, having drooled on it in the amp room...are you loving it?

Kestrel likes this.

14. I can't live without my Janglebox. It's my secret weapon. And yes, it delivers that jangle in spades. Love it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

15. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    I think that's where people get caught out. They think they need a clean comped sound to play U2 and the police etc but those guitar sounds are actually quite dirty. So you end up falling out of love with comps.

16. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

Jan 19, 2011
    Over the last few years, in just about any situation, and especially at home, I've had my TC Electronic HyperGravity on.

Sometimes I get the impression it's not really doing anything, so I turn it off, and strum a few chords. Then I get wise and turn it back on.

A good compressor is one that isn't noticeable (much) when it's on, but you sure as hell know when it's off.

Kestrel likes this.

17. Agreed.

18. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    One thing I've found with compressors, and this got me for a very long time too, is it's the one pedal most guitarists put the least effort into finding "the one that works for them" yet it's the pedal that probably varies most from type to type and brand to brand.

I've seen guitarists try literally a hundred overdrive pedals to find the "holy grail" of tone, but they try one behringer compressor with just basic settings and decide compression is not for them.

I have the new small pigtronix philosopher's tone and I don't know how I lived without it. It works magic with my Orange Two stroke (clean boost with two band parametric EQ). There have been several times when I've started to feel like just those two with my AC15 could be all I need. The only thing stopping me is that for some rhythm stuff I do I need a crunchy but lower volume tone, so I use my fulldrive2m or nano muff for that.

But I've definitely found myself using clean boost with EQ + compression more and more for solos.

For me the necessities of a compressor (other than the obvious compression level control) are:

1) blend knob to mix dry and wet signals. After having this I don't think I could ever, ever go back to a MXR style compressor. This simple knob could solve almost every problem everybody who says "I don't like compression" has had.

2) optical. I don't understand why it sounds better and less artificial to me, but it just does. To me the difference between optical and regular compression sounds like the difference between having a guitar that sustains incredibly naturally and using a compressor. With optical + blend it just sounds like you're getting great sustain from the guitar. Not using a pedal.

3) tone. Yeah. I mean it's obvious but necessary. Different setups have the tone impacted differently by comp, so you need a tone control to compensate.

4) volume level. Yeah. Can use it to hit the front end as a faux OD, but mostly I use it at unity. Would be more useful without the Two stroke, but I like to be able to control boost and compression seperstely without twisting knobs mid set. Still an obvious necessity to have though, as depending on the rest of the rig, what exactly unity is can vary.

5) control over release rate. It's nice. I sorta wish the pigtronix had it. But I wasn't enamored with the vise grip and the only other pedal I know that's optical with blend and release rate is a $250 Greer pedal.

19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    +1

I have attenuators in a Princeton Reverb, and a Tweed Champ. It let's me crank them to compression etc., and still control the volume. I can't imagine ever not wanting one.

20. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Do any of you guys use a compressor with a 5E3?

21. stillrockin

stillrockin Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Had an absolutely horrible band practice last Saturday. I was fighting noise all afternoon. The chain is: guitar>> compressor pedal>> Digitech RP360 modeler>> Fender Twin. I'm suspecting the culprit was *me* in my not having paid much-if-any attention to unity gain from the compressor pedal to Digitech modeler. Please share your thoughts on gain as it pertains to compressors running in front of Multi-Effects units. Don't want to have another experience like Saturday.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.