Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NPD: Compressors Essential for Home Tube Amps...?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fatschlamp, Apr 16, 2017.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Based on that alone I feel ya'. I was using a Ross type and an MXR for a bit so I had the option of both an always on mild compressor and a unit that would give me the higher degree of squish and sustain the MXR would. Since the TC has both those options available via a switch plus a 3rd I can download from their Tone Print Library it saved me some space on my board and I ended up selling the other two for more than the TC cost me.

I guess you could always order one online or pick one up at GC try it and if it's not what you need take advantage of their return privilege. Pedals ship pretty inexpensively or with GC you can just return it to a store. Based on how mine it usually set it's pretty much a felt but not heard deal until I add heavier pick attack or more clean boost in front of it. Then it's more obviously there.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    That's a good idea. It never occurred to me to try it via the GC return policy. The selling point for me is not just the toneprint function, but the editor. I use both with my corona, FB x4 and HoF. It's hard to imagine I couldn't get what I'm after with the editor. I did that with the Corona, although I was disappointed that there weren't some parameters available with the Corona that I wanted.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought about that. I guess that's because I seldom take the time to get into some of those deeper functions. But if you do enjoy and use TC pedals I can't help but thinking you might like the Hypergravity too. It may be worth a shot.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Well, you basically cornered me. If I can return it to GC for a full refund, I have nothing, not a single thing to lose. Okay, a little time, but that's slipping through my fingers no matter what I do anyway.

soulman969 likes this.
  6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    If you like clean sounds to sustain, you need a comp.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Sometimes. Depends on the amp and other factors. I have a low watt single ended amp that gets very sustaining compressed cleans. I set it up for higher headroom, so when you crank up the volume it just compresses more, unless you hit the amp with a ton of signal, it'll start breaking up.
    My 80's voiced ODS clone also has very compressed cleans, on its own, IMO, even at lower volumes.

I will not use a comp with either of these amps for this reason. I'll more often use a comp on a clean amp to even out the spikes on things like funk rhythms, and whatnot, rather than using the comp for sustain. I tend to not really have trouble getting (clean) sustain playing at volume, but for my practice amp, just about every setting has a little compression on it.

Compression is a good thing to have, but I dont find I need it much anymore. When I was younger, my comp was on pretty much 100% of the time. I think my playing and ear developed and I've realized I prefer a more 'natural' compression, which isn't quite as obvious as, say a dyna comp, which has a very audible 'squish'

..but again, sometimes you want that 'squish' I find myself shying away from that sound, except for the very rare occasion.

Tootle likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Using a good attenuator really helps when tube amps at low home and recording volumes not just for high gain sounds but clean and edge of break-up too

Iago likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    So true. I practice at home with it always on. With the band I only use it for clean leads. Back in the days of my two supers, when ever we would play a tiny room, it saved..... otherwise it was "plinky" city.

Up loud, not needed.

10. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Maybe I don't get it...compressors are okay, but I haven't found an easy one to gel with. I'd love to understand them, but I just don't get it. :)

11. I have a Janglebox JB2 on my main pedalboard and an Xotic SP compressor on my second "smaller" board. They are always on when I play. They just make everything sound better.

12. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I was almost obliged to buy a Janglebox last week, having drooled on it in the amp room...are you loving it?

Kestrel likes this.
  13. I can't live without my Janglebox. It's my secret weapon. And yes, it delivers that jangle in spades. Love it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 7:57 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.