NPD: Comprehensive, totally unbiased review of TC Rusty Fuzz

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Whatizitman, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Yuck. Sounds like butt. Immediately going back from whence it came.

dlew919 and artdecade like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But that's JUST what I was looking for. . .;)
    sorry for your difficulties.
    I understand GC has a very generous pedal return policy.
    Peace - Deeve

3. Whatizitman

No worries. MF is sending me a pre-paid return label. I rarely return anything. But this is one is going back. Very disappointing.

OK some real feedback. Very muddy, overly compressed, and waaaaaaay too much gating for my taste. I couldn't get a good sound from clean or dirty channels on either my old Champ or my DSL20. Note articulation is horrible. Chords are somewhat better. I could get within range of Corgan on the low gain marshall channel. But as soon as played any notes or leads it went kaput. I will save for a better, more traditional fuzz.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the name of the pedal doesn't exactly conjure up images of awesomeness!!

emisilly likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Weird. I've loved every clip I've heard of it

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Advertisement clips always sound good. Gotta find the clips made by the average Joe at home and the bad teen at home clips and then average out the results.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Specifics please.
    Who's butt?
    What species?
    Hot and humid or cool and dry?
    Etc.

8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

There's a recent clip of Paul Gilbert playing through TC pedals and obviously struggling to be positive about the Rusty Fuzz. Certainly it doesn't seem very exciting, maybe useful as a lo fi pedal maybe.

9. blowtorch

See that's the thing. To my mind, fuzz shouldn't sound smooth and refined, it should sound trashy and primitive. I still wanna check one out

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I bought a Donner Stylish Fuzz on a whim, and it's pretty okay. It does a good Alex Lifeson Working Man sound, but my Big Muff Pi is my #1 fuzz for when I actually need pedal fuzz. Total disclosure: I rarely use either of those pedals, preferring to overdrive the preamp for dirt.

11. Whatizitman

It didn't respond well at all to picking. Felt like a cheap gated multi-fx pedal. And sounded worse. I've played trashy and primitive fuzzes that at least went along with you. This pedal wasn't having any of it. That's about as technical as I could put it.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

I just want a basic fuzz for lead lines. Although a nice vintage fuzzy crunch for chords would be nice addition, but not my primary goal. This pedal did neither well at all.

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The clips sound pretty cool. It would sound awful in my hands. I don't get along with fuzz. Just not my thing.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  14. blowtorch

It used to be that you had to shell out some big bucks for that gated fuzz sound, and I was excited to see that was no longer the case, with the Rusty Fuzz. Sorry to hear about your experience with it. I'll still have to see for myself, you can find them used for 40 bucks all day long. But I'm glad to hear your input on this

15. Whatizitman

They're on sale for $50 right now, so new is not a bad way to go. Kinda bummed, but I know fuzzes are a highly personal thing. Takes a while to find one that knows its master, and all.

As for the Rusty Fuzz and I...

[​IMG]

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  16. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

So you’re saying it could fill a variety of butt needs on my pedalboard...

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fuzzes are weird, you have to try them through lots of different amps and with lots of guitars, and various levels of amp distortion as well.

18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For the demos there must be a specific type of amp & guitar that make it shine? Where did you place it in your chain? I hope first right after the guitar. Did you fiddle with your volume knob, etc.. ? (I have no idea how much experience you have with fuzzes)

You mention Corgan. The easy button for Corgan is the Op Amp Big Muff Pi reissue.. only slightly more expensive than the Rusty Fuzz and it's a great pedal. I love mine. Tons and tons of sounds in it once you start playing with the guitar volume knob and through your Marshall it will probably sound incredibly close to Siamese Dream if you set your Marshall up dirty and then play with the guitar volume maxed out and plenty of volume & sustain on the pedal. It's very close going through my Orange with my Tele, don't even need a Strat.

Billy Corgan has been crystal clear about those sounds.. the amp should be cranked, though I want to say it was the clean channel of a marshall cranked, not the lead channel. You need the amp breaking up to smooth the edges of the fuzz.

19. Whatizitman

I wasn't necessarily going for a Corgan tone. It's just that I found it was within spitting distance of Siamese Dream when playing 5ths on the clean channel. I can't really get the DSL20 to get any amount of output tube breakup at any volume. So if that's what was needed, it's not going to happen with my current setups, anyway. Regardless, individual note articulation was just horrible mud.

I went guitar > pedal front end into both my SF Champ and the DSL20. Both were less than usable. My tele neck pup absolutely shines on my Champ. But with the TC there was very little tone difference between bridge and neck. That would be understandable on the modern Marshall. But it's just unacceptable on an old Fender.

I was going to try stacking with my cheapo 250 clone (which is excellent on both amps), but I figured if it doesn't play or sound good on its own it's just not a keeper. I'm a minimalist with pedals, anyway. I don't buy and swap gear like most pedal guys do, so I'm in no hurry to replace it. There are plenty of used Muffs (non-op amp versions) that come up local used if I feel the need.

20. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I like the TCE Honey Pot Fuzz a lot. Even the online sound samples for Rusty Fuzz didn't have the tone that I was looking for. That said, I'm a huge fan of this line of pedals, they are built like tanks and stack tight with all the connection points at the top. Great value as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.