Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Chandler Tube Driver / San Francisco

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Dec 28, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Since a few members have sworn off pedal purchases this year, I felt it my duty to pick up the slack and put the world back into balance.

So, I figured I'd finish off the year with a bang:

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    That is a use one isn't it. I thought they quit making those years ago. Always wanted to try one. Let us know how it goes! Platefire

3. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

So get an amp that is the right size and overdrive it.
    Simple.

4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    These are great pedals. I have the bk butler tube driver built/signed by him and they are a very tweakable fun pedal. Tube swaps can be interesting.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    those are the ones that chandler continued to make after b.k. butler decided to go back to making them his way. he still makes and sells them and they even have a bias knob on the back. i have the black one that was part of the original batch he made. 5 knob model. i'm using a jj12ax7 in it.

Real TubeA.jpg

leonard d rock and EuroBailey like this.

6. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    I have one of those too

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    This one is used and happens to have some issues with it - unfortunately it will go back. It had some scratchy pots but there seems to be a failing cap in the tone stack and its just not worth the expense to me repairing it in addition to what I paid for it (a good deal, but not great)

As far as sound goes, I really like it. Loses the low end but had some great tube compression there and acts like an additional gain stage feeding the amp - works really well with my vox.

I may just order a new one from BK Butler himself, as his website says he is still building them.

Great pedal, and I'd keep this one if it didn't need the repairs....

8. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Sweden
    For what it's worth, you're gonna end up with the better pefal. I've owned both versions, and the b.k butler is much smoother, and has a way better eq. The Chandler is a bit honkier, more nasal sounding. Not a bad thing in itself, and could be usefull for cutting through the mix, but overall I prefer the butler.

When you get the pedal, do yourself a favour and swap out the tube. I don't know why bk insists on using 12ax7 tubes in his products, cause they make them sound thin, fizzy and overly compressed. Put either a 12at7 or a 12au7 in there instead. That's the way to make these pedals sound great.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta

Appreciate the input. I think a 5751 might be a nice comprimise between the at7 and the ax7 - 'at7s never sounded that good to me in the signal path...

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I experimented with various tubes in my bk pedal, and ended up going back to the original tube, which had the best tone to my ears.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I had the rackmount version a long time ago. It was pretty generic-sounding through a solid state amp (Peavey Bandit 65), but really sounded incredible through a Music Man combo I had at the time.

12. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Well, it is the "precursor" of the hybrid creed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.