Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NPD - Boss CS-2 (New in Box - almost)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by codamedia, Feb 5, 2014.

1. codamedia

codamedia Tele-Afflicted

I finally got my hands on a Boss CS-2 compressor locally - and at a reasonable price ($75 cad). It's absolutely mint, and came with the box (also mint). The only thing missing was the manual and advertisements that Boss includes. (it would have been nice to see the original ads from the mid 80's again)

[​IMG]

Since the early 80's I've made my money playing country... My first comp was a Boss CS-2, and that stayed with me until the early 90's when I sold off all my pedals to go the MultiFX route. Since then - I have had a love/hate with many compressors. Boss CS-3's, Ross, DC, numerous clones, Keeley 2 Knob, Wampler, etc...

After plugging it in I felt right at home... It can get squishy with the rest of them, but at the lower "compression/sustain" levels it can be very, very subtle - which is what I want. I don't like hearing a compressor come on, I just like to notice something missing when it is turned off.

There are more expensive compressors, and there are arguably much better compressors - but for me, I like what the CS-2 brings to the table. Can't wait to give it a good test tonight at rehearsal...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Great pedal. The only compressor I have ever used. A+

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Awesome score! Congrats! Would love to have one to compare against my CS-3, which is the only compressor I've ever owned.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Friend of Leo's

Don't do it. I thought the cs-3 was fine until I tried my CS-2. I could get the cs-2 kind of close if I really tamped all it's settings done but the 2 just has a more natural feel and sound. Not bashing the 3. I liked it more than any other (including the ego, Keeley, rothwell and others), but the 2 is much better for me. I suspect it might be In part at it has less squish. Halfway up on the 3 is probably full squish on the 2, more or less. But the action or envelope just feels different (and better) to me.

6. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

I respectfully disagree. I don't feel there are arguably better compressors, just other people's opinions of compressors. The Ross/DC is the dominant paradigm, but that doesn't mean jack, seeing as how so many listen with their eyes. I think the CS-2 is probably the finest compressor ever made. I wish I hadn't sold the two I had. The MIJ CS-3 is the next best, in my opinion.

Why someone hasn't cloned the CS-2 is beyond me. There's a cash cow waiting to be mined.

7. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Holic

I just sold off a mint one and went back to a Wampler. The Wampler has it beat out in the control department, but in all honesty, for straight clean chicken picking compression, the CS-2 is every bit as musical. The Wampler reacts with the other pedals in my chain better and doesn't kill the highs of dirt boxes as much though.

8. RetroTeleRod

What I really meant was, "I'd really love to have one to replace my CS-3 with" :D:twisted::D

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Where's the box?

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Friend of Leo's

Ha. It's so good that even though I basically* never use a comp pedal anymore, I can't bring myself to sell it.

*Basically = never, ever, ever.

11. RetroTeleRod

There went my next question! :D

12. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nice! It's hard to find a better compressor than the CS-2, even without considering cost.

Big fan of the CS-1 as well, but those are starting to get pretty pricey...

13. codamedia

codamedia Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, here is the CS2 with the box.

[​IMG]

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Boom! That is a fine looking pedal and box.

15. codamedia

codamedia Tele-Afflicted

I have a stock CS-3 and an Allums Modded CS-3. I matched up tones and compression levels so everything balanced then I recorded the same part 4 times.

1: No Compression
    2: CS2
    3: Allums Modded CS-3
    4: Stock CS3

Warning - Both samples are country pickin' samples...

MP3 Sample - Killbilly Lick

MP3 Sample 2 - Roller Solo

NOTE: As I state above, I use compressors very subtly. For this sample - the setting of the CS2 in the photo is what I was using. The CS3 was similar, but the Compression/Sustain was pulled back to about 9:00 and the tone was pulled back to 11:00 to match the warmth of the CS2.

Playing them there was a difference. The CS-2 was more musical for lack of a better word. The feel was very different. BUT - in a blind listening test after the fact - the differences are very subtle.

Listen closely to the lower notes. With the CS2 the low notes just pop out nice and clean, while the CS3 gets "squishy" and sluggish...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  16. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Damn, I gotta go pull my ratty CS-2 off the shelf and give it another go.

:eek:)

17. codamedia

codamedia Tele-Afflicted

Yeah - not bad for being about 30 years old... Obviously it has not seen a stage... I'll post another pic in a year or so :D

18. loopy reed

How does the box sound?

19. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

Looks newer than new. Nice.

20. codamedia

codamedia Tele-Afflicted

Dare I say it's a little "boxy" :D

Back to the Compressor ....

+1

21. loopy reed

Not surprised! it's barely broken in!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.