Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD: Barber Gain Changer SR

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stephen78, Sep 28, 2018.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Michigan
    Man, this pedal kicks so much butt! I Googled "best edge of breakup" overdrive pedal, and the Gain Changer came up multiple times, so I rolled the dice on it. It sounds so good with my Vintage Sound 15 (Princeton clone)! I prefer the lower gain setting. Depending on the guitar, I either use the SR mode or the flat/fat mode. Loving my Tele in the SR mode with the gain slightly under noon...chicken pickin' heaven! It sounds great with humbuckers as well...very nice with my Les Paul and 335. I seriously can't stop playing since I got the pedal (a little over a week now). I highly recommend this pedal!

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I have an older model, and it is one of the very few OD pedals I've had that works extremely well with any amp I put it in front of.

Tele56 and stephen78 like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    roknfnrol uses this pedal in a lot of his videos and it always sounds good with his teles. Enjoy!

stephen78 likes this.
  4. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I keep hearing lot of good things about Barber pedals. Congratulations on finding a keeper.

stephen78 likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have the small GC, forget what it is called. I use it as a semi-clean boost mostly, but it does OD well too if you turn the gain up a bit.

Tele56 and stephen78 like this.
  6. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I went to their site yesterday and a majority of their pedal are not being built.
    they are still making pedals but in a limited number of models

7. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    It figures that the year I finally catch on a get a GC they shortly afterward release the GC SR! The raspberry-red one looks gorgeous, too. I'll probably stay with the standard GC for a while, though, because I think it's one of the best dirt pedals I'll ever play through. The SR is said to be warmer-sounding and clearer, but warmth and clarity are certainly not qualities the standard one is lacking in any way!

Tele56 likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I'm still trying to decide between the GC and the Wampler Tumnus.

9. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Coincidentally I just got both the Tumnus and the GC SR this week, with the thought of keeping one (sorry to theadjack). Both great pedals with very different sounds. The Tumnus had more mids and a slighlty rounder and less biting sound. I generally prefer a sharper sound so it looks like I’m keeping the GC. I preferred the stand-alone drive of the GC, but slightly (very slightly) preferred the Tumnus going into other pedals as it was a bit thicker (in a good way), but I found I could get a very similar sound with my Elements. Note I found that the Tumnus OD didn’t sound great at bedroom volume (too dark and woody), and you really need to be playing at band volumes.

Anyway, the GC SR is a fantastic pedal and as an initial impression would be on the short list of a pedal I would recommend to anyone looking for a lower gain drive or boost, with the really big caveat being that I only played it for 2 days.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    kevsonic and GGardner like this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Very helpful. Thanks. Any chance you compared them to the Timmy?

11. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I didn’t.

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    All three are in the same price range, have devoutly loyal followings, and appear to focus on that low to low/mid gain range.

13. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’m actually afraid to try the Timmy as then I’ll end up with 3 pedals that I really like that probably sound different enough where I’ll be tempted to keep them all (-;. Yeah, it’s difficult to find a bad word about any of these pedals and it just comes down to personal preference. In a way I feel like you could just put the names in a hat and pick one and be happy unless you need a super specific sound/base eq and you won’t be happy unless the minutiae is right. So while the Tumnus and GC (and I’m guessing the Timmy) sound different (within that universe) when you’re sitting there switching between pedals, in the end when playing loud with a band it just matters that your tone is good. Unfortunately I spend too much time comparing the differences in these pedals when I should be playing, but it is kind of fun to do!

14. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Michigan
    A couple weeks later and I’m still loving the GC SR! The edge of break up tones are fantastic. I also started using it as a clean boost, just to add sparkle to an already clean sound. Works great that way as well.

Tele56 likes this.
  15. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    The GC and GC SR are both excellent pedals. I have a GC and has been on my main board since I got it. The GC replaced an OCD, nothing wrong with an OCD, but the GC has a wider variety of useable tones for me.

"Any chance you compared them to the Timmy?"
    Have both the GC and Timmy and both pedals are on my main board. Have the new version Timmy with the "boost" pots rather than the "cut" pots (sounds the same...just a little more user friendly in conjunction with the other pedals). Both pedals sound different so it's not an exact apples to apples comparison. The GC and Timmy stack well and also work/sound excellent independent of each other.

michiganguitar and kevsonic like this.
  16. Rextrade

Rextrade TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hate it when people talk about the Timmy, absolutely detest it. It’s one of the well-revered pedals that I haven’t spent a lot of time with, and I finally feel like I’m finished with my low gain pedal search, but that little
    voice keeps calling out ‘what about the Timmy, what about the Timmy; it’s one of the forums’ favorite pedals’. Must. Resist. (-;

17. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    Might as well give in....you won’t be happy until you get a Timmy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.