Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NPD — Railhammer and CV neck in Steinberger!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Mistercharlie, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    It’s a Frankenberger to be sure. My Railhammer Nuevo 90 (P90 in humbucker size)
    arrived, but I haven’t yet decided what to put in the other two positions. I had a spare set of CV50 pickups laying around, so I put the neck one on the Steinberger.

There’s a bit of a mis-match, output-wise (the Tele neck pickup is 6.94K Ohms, the Railhammer bridge is 9.16K Ohms, according to my multimeter), but the sound is great. The big surprise is how good the old CV pickup sounds in the neck here. I was planning on getting a single-sized P90, but I’m probably going to stick with this now, or perhaps a higher output version to match the bridge.

One technical note. I had to reverse the wires on the middle pickup to put it in phase with the other two. The in-between positions sounded terrible. A simple swap at the switch did the trick, and no extra noise!

Now I need to pick middle pickup. Or not – maybe I’ll just remove it and wire this like a Tele, perhaps a 4-way.

Any suggestions on a slightly better-matching neck PU? Or just stick with this? With the bridge adjust low, the volume difference isn’t that big anyway.

Another alternative would be to put the CV bridge pickup in the Steinberger, using a humbucker-sized adapter ring.

IMG_1039.JPG

Bonus pic: I added a magnet and a feeler-gauge blade, using Sugru, to keep the leg support from ratttling when I’m not using it. It’s a fantastic mod.

IMG_1041.JPG

Minimalist518 and Cheap Trills like this.

2. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Interesting setup. Maybe a rails pickup, the Satriani one, or a lipstick may fit and sound interesting. Would be cool to fit a p90 into there but doesnt look like something you could route

3. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I already have a single-coil-sized P90 in my Thinline (that’s where this neck pickup came from). I thought about that, but now I’m into the sound of this one.

Perhaps there’s a way to lower the output of the Railhammer. It’s a shame I didn’t know about this before, because the neck Railhammer, dropped into the bridge position, would match almost perfectly.

4. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    I have a Hohner G3T with a similar setup, though I use EMG's.
    An FT alnico neck pickup paired with a ceramic 60 in the bridge posi. They match perfectly, though I had to tame the bridge humbucker a tad by lowering it. The 60, which is regarded as a neck pu mainly, is a mini hum in a humbucker housing, originally designed for a tele. It really sounds like a tele bridge pu on steroid in clean, add distortion and it's like the best PAF.

Great idea with the legrest, I constantly struggle with mine on the hohner, although on my HSH Spirit it is very snug. I"ll give it a try on the hohner.

5. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    With the Railhammer lowered and the neck pickup nice and high, they’re close enough. I wired it so that I can mix the bridge and neck like a Tele. The middle pickup is just there to fill the hole at the moment.

It sounds great, especially through a Tweed Champ. The bright maple body balances the CV neck pickup very well.

I was planning on putting a single-sized P90 in the neck, but it’s so good I think I’ll keep it like this.

Minimalist518 likes this.

6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    How do you like the Steinberger? I'm interested in one as a grab-and-go guitar for traveling, open mic/jam situations, etc.

7. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I love it. Plays great, stays in tune, and with the new pickups it sounds great too. I bought it for travel, and for taking to guitar class, so I can go by bike.

It’s also a great guitar for picking up and playing. The small body makes it ideal for using on the sofa. And the flat bottom means you can leave it propped up by the side of the sofa without a stand!

8. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    That's given me much to think about, I have a Steinberger much like yours (except with a humbucker at the neck). I have a SD Invader at the Bridge and often wonder what would be best to complement that.

That's a sweet look too, chrome on a Steinberger...love it :D

9. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah, the chrome looks great. I tried some chrome knobs, too, but it was too much.

I kinda wish I had the two-humbucker version, so I could add a pair of Railhammers.

Alonious_Monk likes this.

10. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    I'm wishing I went with Railhammers now, those Invader pups are a bit too high gain for me now these days. But looking at the rear cavity (ooh-er!) I can't get my head around soldering/removing/installing pups in such a confined space.

11. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    It's not too bad. All the pickup soldering can be done right there, on the top, without digging in. And the wires are all long enough to pull out of the way. I'm no expert solderer, and i managed ok ;)

Alonious_Monk likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.