Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Now I feel stupid ! Deluxe Reverb Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by I-Wil, Mar 16, 2012.

1. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    Frame distortion in stamped metal loudspeakers can be a significant cause of voice coil failure. When a loudspeaker frame gets twisted for any reason, the paper cone is pulled out of shape right along with the frame. That displacement travels right down the section of the cone, exerting a distorting load upon the voice coil former. With enough misshaping of the cone the thin paper voice coil formers can lose alignment, and also lose significant concentricity. The force of the cone's displacement transfers into the cylindrical voice coil, displacing the coil on one or more of all three axis.

When that happens, on very close tolerance devices with very small voice coil gaps can develop a voice coil rub, which will quickly lead to speaker failure.

The amount of voice coil displacement required to offset a perfectly aligned Oxford 10K5 voice coil to the point of rubbing is .017" ...about the thickness of a light gauge electric guitar B string. IF the speaker already has a bit of misalignment...say .004, then a displacement of of only .013 will cause a rub.

That's why I prefer slightly thicker baffles and 8 screws...but that's just me. There's not as much space in that voice coil gap as you might think.

Just my 2c.

CBG

2. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    So how does the G12C sound clean and with dirt?

3. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2005
    SF North Bay
    I partially removed the grill cloth, backed out the screw and replaced the grill cloth. Looks perfect.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    I put back a Fender Eminence from my blues junior III, the WGS G12C sounds nice clean, but feels a lot less efficient and when you pushed it hard it gets harsh, I think mine has a problem...
    Now I'm looking for a speaker for the Deluxe ! The JBL type seems good to me on the paper, but I the ultra clean thing scares me a little ! I'm looking for a real vintage sound, the JBL provides it doesn't it ?

6. Toppscore

Toppscore Banned

Oct 23, 2011
    Santa Cruz * Monterey
    :cool:

Thank you, CBG. Great two cents.
    Do you like speakers with four screws or eight screws,
    assuming there are eight holes? Toppscore :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.