Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Now I feel stupid ! Deluxe Reverb Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by I-Wil, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    Hello everyone,
    My problem is simple :
    My WGS G12C has 4 holes
    My deluxe reverb has 8 screws I can't remove.
    Is there a special technique to remove the screws or do I have to drill 4 new holes in my speaker ?

Thank you !

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    On a blackface I'd drill the speaker.
    What DR do you have ?

3. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    It's a DDRI with MM trannies, I received it yesterday with no speaker so I can put my G12C in it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. matto

matto TDPRI Member

Oct 24, 2010
    vroomshoop
    Just cut off 4 off them , you don't need the 8 screws.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Ya on a RI I'd just cut four too. Heck I'd cut four off on my blackface cause eights a real pain.
    But I don't want hurt any vintage value my kids will get when I cash in my chips.:lol:

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I just set the old speaker face to face with the new speaker an match up the holes and drill. Not rocket science and you don't have to be exact. Done it a bunch of times. I like the tight fit of 8 bolts holding a speaker, plus less chance of warping it.

8. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hi I-Wil,

Nah... that's not stupid. Now STUPID would be cutting a hole in the grill cloth and unscrewing four of the unwanted screws out through the FRONT of the grill cloth.

:)

You did fine. Never hurts to ask.

Personally, I'm with RockerDuck. It's more trouble but much better to have 8 fasteners on that puppy. Never got why Leo cheaped out on this one feature. Four screws just always felt a wee bit inadequate to me, with regard to even distribution of torque on a thin metal frame speaker.

CBG

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Cut off the 4.
    All celestions users must do this..

10. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    I have a new problem !
    Yesterday, I plugged my DRRI in my Bjr cabinet because I had no time to swap speaker. Today, I remove the chassis etc, look a little what's inside my new amp, then reassemble everything with the G12C and now the amp doesn't turn on ! I also changed the tubes (rectifier and power tubes) to JJ's. The pilot light turned on for 2 seconds, and nothing since then... When I turn the amp on, I can hear that the amp is on (a little little electronic buzz) but only the GZ34 lights up... The fuse looks okay.
    Once again, I need your help :)
    I noticed that, when I took the chassis I put on my desk, I heard a strange noise, like arcing ...

11. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    +1 ( ... my first amp mod back in 1986)

[​IMG]

12. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Creative!!!...and they said it could not be done...lol

13. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Pilot light went out after 2sec standby?

14. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    I only power the amp on then the pilot light turned off

15. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    I'll try to put the older tubes. Right back in 5 minutes :)

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    I'd make a new baffle. Been there, done that! I like to be able to go back to as close to "stock" as I can.

17. I-Wil

I-Wil Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Liège
    I swapped the tubes, and still nothing changed. Then I moved a couple of wires and the amp now plays like a charm ! That's interesting...

18. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Insulate the wires from each other.

19. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    IF you drill ....

Be careful not to get any metal shavings inside the speaker, if they get into the voice coil you have a problem, the speaker will buzz like it is blown, don't know any way to get the metal out if it does happen.
    I recently drilled out a Celestion to try in my real BF DR, I taped off all around the speaker to make sure that no filings got into it.
    Don't ask me how I know about this problem :oops:

On a DR RI I'd just cut off 4 of the screws.

20. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Meister

I'm not sure why some speakers have 8 holes, but 4 is plenty. Partially screw the stud out toward the grill, and cut the base off from the outside, then screw the rest toward the back of the cab. (The wood screw part is backwards thread).
    I have an EV SRO in my Twin clone, and it only has 4 holes!

21. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My money is on A Fender engineer getting ready for those less expensive speakers with lighter ga. frame in 19sixtysomthing....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.