Novice First Build: The Jawbone

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I've also been prepping my home made Bone nut

Getting the thing to seat properly in the nut slot was frustrating, making sure the slot was perfectly level and square ain't easy!!!
    Got it to work eventually
    IMG_20190511_155034.jpeg
    IMG_20190511_154935.jpeg IMG_20190511_154955.jpeg

After researching, I found there isn't a standard for string spacing and it really is personal preference, considering nut width, fret bevelling angle and preferred spacing, I decided to go with a slightly wider spacing, even though my nut is narrower - I'll bevel the frets accordingly

MIA modern strat spacing will work for me :)
    IMG_20190511_165618.jpeg

Without nut files, I found guys using these really cheap gas jet cleaning tools (sold on ebay as Lutherer's nut files! o_O)

It worked great so far to pre-slot the string spacing
    IMG_20190511_171946.jpeg

Treadplatedual and eallen like this.
  2. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Getting closer and closer...

Following the advise from Ron on levelling frets: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fret-leveling-yer-tele-101.201556/, I got a 6mm thick piece of glass cut glued to a piece of melamine for a levelling beam - longer than the fretboard so that all the frets gets sanded equally.

permanent marker (sharpie) the fret tops, 220 grit paper glued on and using a figure of 8, up and down, and across motions, it went well I hope :)
    IMG_20190514_164254.jpeg

Crowning the frets I used a small file (edges grinded off) and a small piece of wood cut at 45 deg with 2 grits sandpaper to crown the frets. marked the frets again and filed/ sanded away till only a thin line is left. This went surprisingly easy and well without a crowning tool
    IMG_20190514_153652.jpeg

Treadplatedual likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Slow, string spacing is really kind of the preference of the player. Offset from the edge of the f/b can range from about 0.100 to 0.125 and depends on how you fret, how you bend, whether you thumb fret the low E and to a small extent, bridge spacing. The individual strings can be spaced on equal centers or with equal gaps between the strings. I prefer the second and that little StewMac string spacing gauge makes it dead simple.

The welding tip cleaners will get you by for one nut (I have a set and never use them) but a good set of gauged nut files makes the job easy also. If you do any work at all on guitars that purchase will pay for itself in a short time.

Treadplatedual and Slowtwitch like this.
  4. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Time for electronics.
    The soldering iron I got (40W) is not quite hot enough for the job and made life difficult, producing a
    not-so-top class looking soldering job, but all is secure and will work fine :rolleyes:

I found what seamed like the correct wiring from an old internet/ modem cable (multi strands)
    IMG_20190517_122613.jpeg

IMG_20190516_105548.jpeg IMG_20190516_151509.jpeg IMG_20190516_152804.jpeg

I realise it won't be the neatest ever wiring job ever, but neither will I call it a crow's nest

500k pots, .22 cap

5. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Decided on oil to finish the neck

Sanded to 800grit and started oiling using Teak Oil (we don't get shellac or some of the other oils here).
    Sanded with oil to 2000 grit. couple more layers by cloth and finally rubbed the oil in on my leg till there were some heat. Really liked how the darker colour started to come out

The result is a silky smooth, velvet feeling neck.

Very pleased indeed
    IMG_20190515_163502.jpeg IMG_20190515_163434.jpeg

brandonh and Jupiter like this.
  6. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

After having to sand down the backside of the body and respray, I got onto sanding and polishing.

There are a few imperfections and I sanded through in the inside of the bottom horn due to a paint run I had to sand down, but all in all I'm very pleased with my first paint job. It does look like a professional finished guitar

Finishing with rubbing compound, floor polish and wax to give it a glossy satin look
    IMG_20190515_224613.jpeg

Jupiter likes this.
  7. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

You mean Gasoline?

I wouldn't use that

Use Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 12% (Derived from 35%) .

8. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

No Not gasoline,that's oily. White Gas I believe is what it's called in the US

9. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Oh like Alcohol / Moonshine / Firewater / Camping Fuel.

Denatured Alcohol.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.