Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

November Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    You sound like you know what your doing to me. Good note choices all the way through. Nice job.

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I have setting in Guitar Rig

3. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister

May 2, 2013
    San Jose
    It was pretty rudimentary when I started out at the beginning of the month, and then when I was starting to get wise to making it sound a little less pentatonic-box-ey things started getting busy with the approach of Thanksgiving. Maybe this month I won't even have to shorten the track...

4. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Welcome to the party, alesplin! That was a nice approach, and what you plaed over the V chord just sounds good!

5. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Thank you for taking time to listen and comment, still_fiddlin. No need to excuse for a critical annotation; in fact, I am grateful for that. I had thought it would made the guitar sound a little more alive when used sparsely, obviously I was wrong. I myself give other members hints when I hear something in the mix that I think could be done better, and so I really appreciate your hint.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Quite a full sound you've got there 'fiddlin. The word frenetic came to mind when I listened to your track. Nice job. :cool:

Welcome aboard aleslpin. I quite liked your track. Nice tone and playing. :cool:

7. Zxach

Zxach TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Lubbock, Texas
    It is one of them Les Paul Studio's with the mahogany body and burstbuckers. Used the neck pickup and same settings for both rhythm and lead on that track. Just ran it through a line 6 tone direct in pod farm with nothing but a deluxe reverb model and no other effects at all. I love humbuckers through blackface fender amps, even if it is just a modeled version.

I don't get to live mic stuff very often since I am usually recording after the wife and kid go to bed or before they wake up.

8. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Nothing wrong with shortening a track - at least that's what I've told myself the couple times I've done it! (On further listening, I'd do it with this last one if I hadn't already pushed it up.)

Really, these tracks are pretty long. Without vocals, and only playing guitar, it's hard for me to be actually "saying something" for 5x16 bars or such. That's one of the lessons I'm trying to learn here (work in progress). I'd like to be able to listen in the car and say, huh, not bad, instead of wishing I'd cut out those middle 16, and thinking, well, shorter than it was, but the meh/horrible parts are on the "cutting room floor," at least :).

I don't even *have* an amp right now, and my wife's studying or sleeping most of the time I can get to this, so I can relate.

9. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    They are usually overly long, because they're meant for practice.

10. Zxach

Zxach TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Lubbock, Texas

11. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah, well. I think.

12. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister

May 2, 2013
    San Jose
    I think the length is a good thing initially. I'd never have found some of the bits I'm most happy about from the one track I did if I hadn't been trying to come up with new things to "say" to fill the track. I felt that my take on it was just borderlining on being a bit repetitive, so shortening it was probably the "right thing", but I'm glad it was long to begin with.

So thanks for all the effort it must take to get these backing tracks laid down, Mellencaster. We appreciated it. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.