Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

November Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Ha!I drop it down a whole octave , well almost!

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Mike, that reminds me to long ago juvenile days when lying in bed at night and trying to tune in some distant rock music AM-stations an a little transistor radio. Sometimes the radio produced reverb or phasing-like effects on the music which made it sound a little psychedelic. Your experiment sounds good.

3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    W e l l t h a t ww aa ss vv ee rrr yy innnnterrrrressssttinnnggggg. :D

I liked the blend between the backwards and forwards playing at the start. Pretty smooth. :cool:

It kinda reminded me of the band Morphine. :cool:

4. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I see where you hear that station scrolling effect from the radio, it was never in my thoughts to get that effect but I like that you brought it to my attention, it's something I could use in the future

I did it easiest way I know ,copy 15 seconds of the start of the track ,then paste to a new track, add reverse effect and align the track to the original start .

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Here's my shot. Been kind of busy nursing the wife but managed to get in a couple hours on this one. This was a bit of a funk marathon, but fun to add some other guitars. Used my Champ emulating a 57 Deluxe with compression, light reverb and some delay. Looking forward to next month.

https://soundcloud.com/telleutelleme/funky-organ-blues-jamtrack

6. Zxach

Zxach TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Lubbock, Texas

7. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice John, I got a sense I was listening to a 70s style tv theme :cool:
    also wishing your wife a speedy recovery John

8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

9. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    LOL - Probably too many Magnum PI reruns. Thanks Mike, she's doing great.

BTW - I like the way you made the track work for you.
    Lots of good stuff by everyone this month.

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Good job hitting the changes John.

Zach, that was quite brilliant. Sometimes I think too much.

11. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Telleutelleme, you dialed in a nice smooth sound, and the lines you played gave the track a dreamy atmosphere. Al least with my monitor speakers, there seemed to be a little too much reverb / delay - or did you intend it that way? If you recording gear gives you the opportunity to add reverb and delay after recording the guitar track, I would advise you to do so. I find myself experimenting with both of them to find the appropriate effects, and I know that I tend to mix initially to much reverb / delay, so I listen to the mix several times, adjusting their levels and sometimes even changing or cancelling the whole effect at last. I hope your wife gets well soon and feels better with the pacemaker!

Zxach, you delivered a well played bluesrock track, your playing is not disturbed by the existing guitar lines. I like it! At some parts I found your guitar sound had too much bass, it blurred with the bass from the bt. Maybe you could limit the bass range of the guitar track, so that it sounds more defined on deeper notes and chords?

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Tutm - I agree with Ullrich that your track has a dreamy atmosphere to it. It took me a couple of plays to get into it but in the end I quite liked it. :cool:

If I may offer one piece of advice it would be for you to consider the placement of your parts within the stereo spectrum. When recording multiple parts as you did, if you have them all placed in the centre of the mix it is difficult for the brain (at least mine) to separate and process them as individual components of the whole. The tracks don't have to be panned wildly opposite each other, but one to the left a bit and one to the right a bit will give some separation to the parts.

Zxach - You definately leaned more to the blues side of Blues/Funk for this one. I really liked how you bubbling/gurgling rhythm breaks out into lead territory and back again. :cool:

13. telleutelleme

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks for all your comments. All good points and I'll experiment with the panning and back off the reverb and delay though there was a bit of dreaminess / sadness intended. Also thanks for the best wishes regarding my wife. She is really doing well.

14. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Tree is up, lights are up, turkey eaten, ok, maybe half, company gone, wife's master's portfolio assembled & printed, ... what a week... So, bringing up the rear. I'm probably going to hate myself in the morning, but here goes nothing (or too much, probably). Had a hard time with the rhythm here, and much as I'd like to think I've got some soul bones left from my r&b days as a kid, I think those intervening years have been too long and too far removed.
    https://soundcloud.com/keith-rogers-27/nov-14-bt-4-funk-not

15. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Pretty good fiddlin I like the chorus parts the most and the change was nice

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

16. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Well, it doesn´t sound like that; your track is more on the nervous, eager side. The Deep Purple Xmas Concert, maybe. You rocked it!

17. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2008
    Elkton,MD
    Great recording!! Busy but not too busy IMHO.

18. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister

May 2, 2013
    San Jose

19. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice alesplin, you finally to got that first track under your belt! Welcome aboard!

20. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    My November playlists, in case you want to review :) (Sorry if you have a SC version and I missed it!)

BT4
    BT3
    BT2
    BT1

Assuming we're done with this month - here's my short thoughts on those brave folks who went before me on #4 (apologies if I omitted anyone):

• Mellencaster - The beginning is awesome! Great ideas there.You took the whole thing down an octave in the DAW?
    • udoering - I liked the "outside the box" ideas you worked on here. I think we might have played some of the same "scales" on this one! I liked the guitar tone. One nit - the guitar going back and forth wears me out - doesn't seem to be doing anything "musical" for me. Sorry!
    • telleutelleme - Nice tones. Interesting, kind of the "anti-funk" representative here :). Is that a Super Champ XD mic'd or direct?
    • HoodieMcFoodie - Loved the fake horns. Thought briefly about it, but lack patience to learn midi programming. Another, impressive, full band delivery Mr. McFoodie!
    • KC D - Nice and "light" feel. Fit real well. What was the recording setup?
    • Zxach - It seemed liked you managed to straighten this out rhythmically when all I could hear was the offbeat stuff. Did you just feel that or do anything else? Great guitar sound on rhythm. What is it?

P.S. Thanks for the comments! Yes, it was busy and a tad frantic - the clock was ticking! I had tried to double that guitar noodle that was in the BT a week ago for inspiration, but that failed me, and then I tried to generate a straight rhythm track and failed, but I couldn't make myself throw them away... Last night I floundered along for a good half hour trying to come up with something and finally said, screw it, clicked the red button, and threw it all in the pot (looping/copy-pasting the first two from last weekend). All Logic X, with LP on the lead, Tele on the other parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.