Notes Sharp at the lower frets

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LunarSlingShot, May 23, 2019.

1. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Another culprit can be if the guitar has been setup for one gauge of strings, and is then strung with a lighter gauge than it was originally setup with. Really light gauge strings can be rubbery (especially) when playing cowboy chords, and if you use anything other than a real light touch, the strings will (easily) go out of tune.

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

the guitar may also need to have the frets dressed to the proper heights. This can be a common"players" issue when going from lower fret guitars like Fenders to taller frets like on Gibsons, we, the players, fret harder which causes pitch issues.

Don't assume the frets heights are accurate up and down the fretboard.

3. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Whenever I fit a new Nut I file the slot so that the open top E is in concert pitch and I press the first fret and it should read as F if its sharp then the slot needs to be filed a bit deeper. If its flat you've filed it too deep get another nut and be more careful. And so it goes on with all the strings..S

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.