Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Not Proud of First Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cleanheadsteve, Jun 22, 2018.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    Way too many flaws to put my name on it. But a neighbor saw it and traded my a couple of old Hammond organs and tone cabinets for it. (1 working set, 1 not). Sold the Hammond's for about $1,000 so I guess I did alright. Plus another neighbor saw it and now I'm building one (also walnut) for him
    I just wonder if I ever think they'll be good enough for me to happily put my logo on them? IMG_20180531_022225.jpeg IMG_20180531_022301.jpeg IMG_20180531_022236.jpeg IMG_20180522_070932.jpeg

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Each new build is a learning process. I'm building a 5e3 and recently learned not to pick up a soldering iron by the shiny end.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    This is my thought FWIW. A "crafted by" sticker on the heel or inside a neck pocket would suffice while you develop your skills on your part making. It takes time to get there. Just keep plugging away at it.

Kriticaster likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Well, people seem to like what you do, so you're obviously doing something right.

One of my hobbies is painting. Friends who see my paintings often ask if they can buy one.

And it kind of puzzles me. I'd never thought of selling them, probably because, like you, I'm not sure if I rate my work that highly. And I don't like talking money with my friends.

It also bothers me that the first thing people think when they see art is money.

5. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    We tend to be ever unsatisfied with our own work, no matter how good it is...

6. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    I learned that in 1979.

I smelled my hand cooking and looked down at it before I realized what was going on. I was calculating the value of a crossover choke in my head and the math acted as some sort of neural block.

So the other lesson in this is MATH IS DANGEROUS. DON'T DO IT!

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I am about 7 years into it now. In the last 2-3 years the quality of everything has changed mainly due to practice which is what Marty and others are alluding to.

A piece of advise offered here a lot is:
    "Don't build your dream guitar first." - probably the best advice on this site for a beginner. I recently attempted to build my dream guitar, I've always wanted a Koa and Mahogany guitar. It's not 100% of the dream but it's damn close, a lot close than I would have been when I started.

a side note: another thing heard around here often that is also very true:
    "Buy your last ______ first" fill in blank with saw, router, hand tools etc. . . .
    Meaning don't buy 2 or 3 crappy bandsaws along the way, save and buy the one you'll use every time you build for the next 5 -10 years.

Keep on rolling . . .

bender66, Luthi3rz, Rock-Ola and 3 others like this.
  8. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    I actually don’t quite agree with this approach.

When you are setting out to build your first, second, or third guitar, you have no idea if this is going to be your favorite hobby forever. You also don’t yet know which tools will be the ones that matter the most to your kind of building.
    If I were to get big and fancy equipment for every new hobby I’m dipping my toes into, I’d have a garage full of amazing machines sitting unused. And I’d be broke.

I’d say to get cheap used (but not crappy) version of everything, but only once you’ve determined that you need it, and as you go, work up a wishlist of priorities for what you want your nice future replacements to be like.

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I should have lead with "If you get hooked here's another, quote you'll see if you ask 'Should I get X Y or Z?'

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. disconnector

disconnector TDPRI Member

May 7, 2018
    East Coast
    I'm in the middle of scratch building my first neck. It's a bit of a mess but I'm learning SO much about the process. Just keep building and it will keep getting better!

Kriticaster and titan uranus like this.
  11. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    I have 5 or 6 initial builds hanging on the Wall of Shame.
    The first really GOOD guitar was about #7
    At 14 or so they are still getting incrementally better
    Steve

Luthi3rz, Kriticaster and eallen like this.
  12. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I would be kind of disappointed if my first one didn't suck. Would you enjoy playing the guitar as much if you were awesome the first time you picked one up?

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. Seeing how you effectively sold your first guitar build for $1,000 I would say you are way ahead of the game.

Keep it up!

Eric

14. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    I’d put my name on all of them. I mean, I know I did the best I could do for each of them. That alone would make me proud. People digging them is just icing on the cake.

Kriticaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Honza992

Honza992 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    I think it took me about 11 builds before I could grudgingly offer up a tiny bit of pride....even now I find it hard to see beyond the mistakes and imperfections that probably only I will ever notice.

Guitar building is a hard, hard mistress :(

;)

Kriticaster likes this.
  16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I'm only just starting to be proud of my partscasters - and I did *no* woodworking whatsoever for those.

You made a playable instrument out of lumber and steel - that's a huge step in anyone's book (and it has the correct body shape! :cool:)

Well done - keep going!

Kriticaster and R. Stratenstein like this.
  17. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    Those "imperfections" are what make our builds "one-of-a-kind". I wouldn't trade the flaws for anything on ANY build I do. And I'm very proud of them, every single time I see or play one of them.

18. cleanheadsteve

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    True. But I can pick up a home built guitar and usually find very few flaws compared to mine. so I don't think I'm being a perfectionist.

Kriticaster likes this.
  19. cleanheadsteve

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    (ok, trying to figure out how to respond to a msg directly under that msg.) Not sure it's possible so might have to quote msg). Which I hate making everyone read twice : /

20. cleanheadsteve

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    Nope. In fact. Once I got kinda good (semi pro?) I started losing interest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.