Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Before you get too carried away, consider all of your options. First, you can certainly build a carved top guitar with arching different than an LP. Look a PRS or many other wonderful guitars. Second, you could do a slightly archted top guitar. The LP clone on the left has a full 5/8 thick top but the one on the right started at a hair over 3/8. Its arched, but not nearly as much as a true LP would be. I gained some of that by taking the binding ledge down a little lower.

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

I can almost promise you that if you try to make a plug to fill that it will stand out like the proverbial thumb. A pick guard might cover it but then I don't usually put a pick guard on a nice piece of wood.

John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.
  2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Thanks, again, Freeman, but this is a learning exercise, and may not make it to a final playing instrument. It's eventually going to give me the experience to create the replacement for the One That Got Away (minus the Goldtop). I really love the feel of the top I am doing so far (3/4 way around the upper to the control area). It's beginning to feel quite nice to the touch. A few guitar bodies down, and I should be able to make a good clone for my keeping. Don't get me wrong, you make beautiful guitars all of them that you've posted. But my mission statement has been to create the one that got stolen. It's like a love affair, and I was jilted.

Barncaster likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

I understand completely.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I submit that if said 'learning' patch looks too wonky, maybe NOT minus the gold top intent/reversal is reasonable solution anyway.

5. Engraver-60

It's all about the learning of skills. Not easy to teach an old dog new trick, but this dog will try anyhow.
    Robt57: No Paint on flame maple - NO PAINT on FLAME MAPLE - Clear? I am so over GT's - I want a burst with flames. Eventually I will have one.

6. robt57

OK, for me it depends on the figure.

Here is the piece/top I joined for the top of my more GMP Roxie than LP in the works. Hoping on a cherry or tobacco on this.

Photo03061650_2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Engraver-60

That's some pretty serious flame, Robt. Are you going to bevel the edges like GMP Roxie? Binding? Burst?

You being in the Land of Big Leaf Maples, flame and quilt should be very easy to come by, correct? I still have that plank of quilt I bought back in 2009 for necks, that came from a vendor in WA state. But it's destined to be at least one carved top. Sure wish it was 6/4, not 4/4. It would've been sweet bookmatched.

I've got Woodturning Club maintenance today in the morning. The club has 10 mini/midi Delta and Jet lathes to clean up and do annual service, and a Powermatic 3520B. But this afternoon I'll start working on Booger Hollow, and neck blanks. Funny, or not so funny, but the older I get the earlier I wake up and cannot go back to sleep. I lay in bed and think of how to do this or that on this project. You'd think running it through my brain so many times I could get it right when I actually do it. No such luck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. robt57

Thinking... Roxy-ish shape, more PRS carve and faux binding. I had made a Poplar body/back to put that cap on, but decided to cut into my sapele billet for the back instead, and neck.... [if and when I get a round-tu-et]

Oh, and definitely PRS headstock, not so much as shape as string paths. I will never do a Gibson style headstock. Having the string angle spray out on/via the the nut slots to the tuners I consider the biggest design flaw in every Gibson 3x3

9. robt57

That was a Home Depot board I spotted. You gotta look though the boards there on your visits, surprises exist from time to time...

John Nicholas and Zepfan like this.
  10. Engraver-60

No maple down south of the Mason-Dixon Line in big box stores.

I am following the steps that Herb laid out, so I also drilled the pilot holes for the tailpiece, control pots, and the toggle switch. Then I worked on Booger Hollow. I decided to go Old School on it, with a hammer and chisel, and cut a piece of maple from the cutoffs to fit in. The glue is drying now, and I am upstairs eating pretzels and drinking coffee.
    0112191235[1].jpg
    Notice my mallet? I turned that from a branch on my Japanese Maple in the backyard. My arborist told me it's the largest Japanese Maple he's ever seen. The trunk at the base is about 2 foot diameter. I try to keep it trimmed, but I think it's not too long before it'll come down, Very hard and dense wood, by the way.
    0112191343a_Burst01-1[1].jpg
    0112191403a_Burst01-1[1].jpg

Oh, I did check the contours against the templates, and D is the only one even close. The others (ABC) are all way off, but it still feels nice, and it'll look fine (maybe)?

Zepfan likes this.
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Early vintage LP carves are different than say LP Studio carves which are more subtle. I'm sure they varied back then too due to the fact they were sanded on a slack belt.

12. Engraver-60

I got the Booger Hollow patch sanded and I think it looks OK. I thinks after I seal the surface I can make the imperfections look like grain lines. I still have some more sanding to do.
    0112191743_Burst01-1[1].jpg

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Looking good!

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Engraver-60

Thanks.

15. Freeman Keller

I agree.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Freeman, I really like the low arch LP version you posted above. It still has the vibe but probably lost some weight in the process as well. Also, that Gibson amp is sweet! Rob

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Engraver-60

Freeman, thank you. I am proud of this , even though it's just a Scrapper. I am learning a lot, and a lot more to learn.

18. Engraver-60

I was thinking I might have to hit the Wagner Safe-T-Planer across the top again. But I measured the fat part where the neck will go, and I am right about 2-3/8" thick. Even though the top started at 3/4", I guess the mahogany came out under the 1-3/4".

0113190833_Burst01-1[1].jpg
    I'll let the kids sleep in before I start making a racket below them in the garage. But today I plan on finish routing the control cavity and the toggle switch pocket, and the recesses for their respective covers. I think I'll also jump over to starting cutting out the blanks for the 3 piece mahogany-maple-mahogany neck for this Scrapper.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  19. Engraver-60

I have the cavities smoothed out against the template, now onto the recesses and I'll post a pic. I also re-sanded the top contours to get a smooth feeling blend all the way around. The seam at Booger Hollow is still evident, so I applied thin CA and fine sawdust from the sander dust bag, and re-sanded. It's not going away. Oh well. I also went around the perimeter and got rid of burn marks.

20. Engraver-60

The Back, with recesses for covers:
    0113191132_Burst01-1[1].jpg

The Front & Booger Hollow: Feels really nice!!
    0113191133_Burst01-1[1].jpg

Round over the back edges next.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.