Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Vlad did an awesome job with those. Really nice work.

Zepfan likes this.
  2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

The terraces are screwed up. My lack of experience setting the depth on the Plunge Base is the culprit. I haven't had time to really look at the edges, I just wanted to get this stage done, and finish with my first contouring attempt. But I probably have enough wood there to allow the recurve to happen. The top is still 1/8" to high per the Bartlett drawings, so from there I need to work down to the edges by hand. There should be 3/16" maple edge where it meets the mahogany, so I'll check that out.

At the very tail end of the top there is about 3/8" of maple (3/16" too much), and that is true all the way around.
    0106192014[1].jpg

So even though I only seem to have 5 terraces, I have enough wood to make it happen.

0106192016[1].jpg
    All it takes is elbow grease and sanding or, like Robt57 suggested, an angle grinder. I have one of those, and a new PC ROS with all of the grits from 60 to 400. I can do this.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. Engraver-60

Another NOTE to SELF: Keep thumbs and fingers out of line of fire when using a Japanese pull saw. Ouch right into the end of my left thumb, and thumbnail.
    0107191826[1].jpg

I did manage to cut the excess rim off that I did not get with the router yesterday. It's going to be a good guitar, because I donated some of MY DNA.

top_chopped[1].jpg

I think Wednesday night I'll try to whittle this top into shape. I might fire up the Wagner Saf-T-Planer and skive off the top by 1/8" to get to the prescribed total thickness, and mark the sides to 3/16" edge above the mahogany. That's the plans anyways.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

For what it is worth, when I built my lester I had seen pictures of the contour maps and even down loaded one. I also had pretty good plans with four or five cross sections. What I did was just way way simpler - I made a little stop thingie for my router table, flipped the guitar upside down and routed the recurve 3/8 plus down from the level of the top. Just went around the guitar and made a inch or so cut that would be come the recurve. I tried to make one other level but it turned out pretty bad so I just sharpened all my tools and had at it

048.JPG 052.JPG 053.JPG

The arching isn't exactly the same as a real les paul, my goal wasn't to make a copy.

Barncaster likes this.
  5. Engraver-60

My goal on this Scrapper is to learn how to make a good Keeper. So far I think I have all of $15 in the maple, and 25 hours of my time, which is school for me. If this turns out to be a keeper, so be it.

I have an old set of Buck Bros. wood gouges that I've used to carve molds for chase and Repoussé of silver, but I'd probably really mess this up with them. I do have a set of HF drawknives (worthless until I sharpened the irons to a razor's edge), and a brand new Woodriver drawknife, that I tested at the store with theirs. It's a great tool, but not sure it'll fit the contours I need it to. And I have scrapers.

I am thinking of make a small finger plane like one I saw on a DIY youtube video, to get the shape close. If I can find the 20 minute video of the DIY, I'll post a link. It's something I think I can make and use over and over, and I cannot afford the Ibex planes.

I am a confirmed Tool Hoarder, and I come by it honestly. I have Dad's, and Grandpa's tools for some of the wood working.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I was at Charles Fox's school, he had us make a little plane to do some trimming. It was a piece of hacksaw blade sharpened and held inside two pieces of hardwood, with a piece of steel or brass rod. It was similar to this kind of thing. It worked pretty well. The little ibex planes are obviously milled differently but probably could be made in a similar fashion.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-small-wood-plane/

nickhofen likes this.
  7. Engraver-60

8. Engraver-60

I started to sculpt the top last night by hand. I used every plane, and scraper I have. I will post photos when I get home. Starting to look sort of like it should, but I may have to get creative where I dug into the wood too deeply near the front lower bout. It's not going to be a clone, just a learning experience. But the flame maple still looks pretty interesting.

9. guitarbuilder

Get out the bondo and turn it into a Black Beauty....

10. Engraver-60

No thanks, I'll create a patch of similar wood and grain, and proceed to LEARN how to create the carve and burst finish. Besides it'll be covered by the pickguard on the big booger.
    0109192117_Burst01[1].jpg

19 different planes, drawknives, and scrapers.
    0109192119a_Burst01[1].jpg

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

And how many hours?

:cool:

12. Engraver-60

1.5 hours last night - 25 total probably, so far. No power tools last night, except my arms.:)

Trying to read the grain direction on this top is nearly impossible. The 2 halves from the same board in opposite directions, and the flames complicate it immensely for a beginner. If it was on a lathe it'd be easier, but who want to play a bowling ball? If I really screw this up, perhaps I'll make a StratoPaul.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. guitarbuilder

This is a good place for a flexible disk sander with coarse grit sandpaper.

14. robt57

You are the one that brought it into 3 dimensions.

Maybe I will stick with a 'Special flat front when I do mine. ;)

15. Engraver-60

Using all of the Family's old tools, and few of my newer ones, is pretty therapeutic. I feel connected through 3 generations of my ancestors, and shaving small bits here and there was like time travel. I kept hearing my Dad saying, "You're gonna slice your thumb off, son". I remember learning how to use a couple of these planes down in the basement workshop, growing up in Detroit. Always good memories when I make things; even if it is fancy firewood.

RogerC and robt57 like this.
  16. Engraver-60

I couldn't sit still tonight, so I went down and put away most of the tools of destruction, and broke out the Porter Cable Random Orbital Sander and 60 grit disks.
    0110192054[1].jpg 0110192054_Burst01[1].jpg

I spent about 45 minutes trying to get rid of the terrace edges and blend the top side around to Booger Hollow (Dolly Parton reference, there). That mess up is going to take some kind of repair, but not tonight.

0110192054a[1].jpg

It is worse than it appears in the phone camera pictures. I'll probably try to do a carve out with a Dremel and cut a plug from some of the cutoffs and try to match the grain. Sort of like what Dan Erlewine did on a Tele a while back. But I assure you, nowhere near the quality.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Booger Hollow seems to reside right under the pickguard. Well done Mark.

18. robt57

I saw the extent of it even in the rough pic. Mix some sparkle in bondo and move on. ;) Make your PG a touch longer if need be. Not going to impact the git in any way, and you'll never sell it anyway I figure. ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Zepfan likes this.
  19. robt57

Idea, route relief for PG mounted slider potentiometer?? Or maybe a round route for a Rotary for a Varitone in the PG.

Zepfan likes this.
  20. Engraver-60

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.