Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

My question regarding these swap-able magnet PUs is cost? If they cost so much you can buy two sets of 'normally' available Very Good PUs I will attempt to understand the point.

EDIT: USD160.00 the great see-er Goo-gal has enlightened and helped bestow the information upon me...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Zepfan likes this.
  2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Those pickups look pretty interesting, and the cost is reasonable, especially for custom boutique-type design. If the one of magnets is installed backwards, will it give the Greene sound? And, why do the magnets run so short, instead the whole bobbin length?

Zepfan likes this.
  3. robt57

NEO mags

4. Engraver-60

So, by using Neodymium magnets he can use a powerful magnet that's shorter. Got it. What about the Peter Green (Greenbaum - no relation) sound?

I am heading downstairs to see if I can make the neck templates, and a hinged router box/sled, and maybe do the terracing.

Q to Herb or others: When doing the terracing do you use a shorter pattern tracing bit? Mine are all 1" cutting length, do I need to get a 1/2" cutting length bit?

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Mark , I used a 1/2" long pattern bit for the terracing

6. Engraver-60

I just got a Diablo at HD, 3/4" diameter, x 1/2" shaft x 3/8" cutting length. That should work for me. Thanks.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. robt57

Heed your grain and tear out potential with your direction of cutting, and/or do multi depth cuts.

What are you doing to maintain router axis stability?

8. Engraver-60

I was thinking I'd use the cutoffs from the back and the top all along the sides to keep the base of the router level and supported. I had to take a break, my fears were piling up about the terracing. I laid out the cross lines on the top, and traced the outlines of the contour templates onto the top. That first contour will have to remove 9/16" of maple, so I'll do that in probably 3 passes of 1/8" each, approximately. Then each subsequent terrace will remove 1/16" less. It's a bit daunting, to novice like me.
    DSCN0891.JPG

I did cut the neck templates from the scrap Corian window sill material. That stuff cuts like butter.
    DSCN0894.JPG

And I used the big honkin' Whiteside bit to true up the sides of the body/top. DSCN0892.JPG

I think I might me done for today. I'll figure out the contours and make a hinged router box & sled tomorrow. Thank you for watching, and stay tuned for "The New Adventures of Sawdust in my Shoes"

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. robt57

Use a scrap of the scrap for your nut. Makes great nut material IMO. I still use and have some cow shin bone I got at tractor supply near you. ;)

10. Engraver-60

I'll probably use cow bone for the Pauls, but Corian for the Tele, and maybe replace the nuts on my Squier with Corian. But I've heard Corian can be brittle. It's funny but 12 years ago when I got all gonzo trying to build a guitar I accumulated so much stuff, and now it is resurfacing as I dig thru the overstuffed garage.

Have ever tried the masking tape and superglue double sided tape trick? I saw a LP builder up in Canada on Youtube do that trick for mounting his body to a deck on a duplicator carving router system. It worked and didn't move but also removed easily with no wood being torn out.

11. Engraver-60

OK, another test as to how good a woodworker I can be. I purchased a Porter Cable plunge base for my router, but I had never used it. After installing it facing backwards, and realizing I had no clue how to operate it, I read the instructions - DUH. OK - sorry Herb, I've pretty much made a mess of the first couple of the contour templates. I can fix them, but the top may be a different situation. The double sided carpet tape works well for the template, but the side supports gave way on the rear.

I am ashamed to even post pictures of the mess at this point, but I still have 5 more templates to run through (hopefully, not literally).

I had to take a break and let my jitters calm down.

12. robt57

Don't then. Take a breath and regroup. Get new top wood if you need to. This is exactly the type of reasoning why after you watched me tear the headstock tip off a maple neck blank in my shop years back, I went onto make a few poplar and sassafras necks before touching my flame and birds eye stock.

Do you have a non plunge base for that router. I only use the plunge base for pickup and control cavities for a long while now. Or you can do the Scatter Lee 8" grinder carve method. :eek:

13. Engraver-60

The fixed base is under the table. Yeah, if I have to I can take the top off and re-do. But you know me - I have to waste anything. I can fix it!! If I have to I'll make more templates, too. Durham's Wood Filler should correct the divots.

I do need more lighting in the router area. Maybe a headlamp will suffice for now.

14. robt57

CA glue and baking soda faster....

BTW, I still have my original Ron Kirn Templates [including thinline inner and f-hole] that have only ever been used to make working templates from. ;)

15. Engraver-60

I went down after eating some dinner - Zuppa Toscana - my wife make this soup so tasty, yummy.

I finished what I could on the terraces. Not too pretty but probably I can fix it. Besides this is a learning platform (keep telling myself, and maybe I'll believe it). 0106191816[1].jpg

I might be able to do something tomorrow night but probably Tuesday night will be te soonest I can make time to see if I can rescue this puppy.

I don't know how the other LP builders did such a fine job contouring, but I'd sure like to know the step by step. Jump in and show the procedure, so I don't screw up the next one. Thanks.

16. robt57

The only thing obvious to me is you have more scraping work that perhaps you could have had. And that this LP will get a PG. ;)

Careful not to cause a tear out the high edge there when taking the excess material off there...

Disclaimer being, I've not actually done this before myself. But having been a finish casement carpenter for a long while I probably sound like I have some confidence talking about wood working generally. ;)

17. Engraver-60

OK - Robert - I'll take your advice, as usual. I am a novice, and I take constructive criticism well, even in woodturning, although on spinning wood objects I've made several hundred to date.

I could definitely tell when I was routing with the grain, or at end grain. Router reacts differently, just like gouges on the lathe.

I did plan on having a pickguard, and most of the plastics will be ivory or shaded with amber shellac prior to clear coating with nitrocellulose. I will most likely learn how to do a burst with dyes on scrap, by hand, so I can control how quickly the dark goes to light.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. robt57

Yep, it either bucks or runs... Sanders chatter when lifting the run out.

Board come from logs, and mother nature wins depending on how and where the cut originates.

Until you see what is below while working on your cut wood and positioning of the 'cutting' of your machines accordingly, you are using a lot of luck.

Nothing what you are leaning now won't make easier later. If one thinks more geometrically, perhaps they experience less tear out more frequently. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Engraver-60

The terraces are screwed up. My lack of experience setting the depth on the Plunge Base is the culprit. I haven't had time to really look at the edges, I just wanted to get this stage done, and finish with my first contouring attempt. But I probably have enough wood there to allow the recurve to happen. The top is still 1/8" to high per the Bartlett drawings, so from there I need to work down to the edges by hand. There should be 3/16" maple edge where it meets the mahogany, so I'll check that out Tuesday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.