Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.
The Tesla is a pickpocket! I love it!
Can I sue Elan Musk for thievery?
That guy has every angle figured.
My cream colored hb pup rings came today and the curved bottoms match the top pretty well. Another item to check off the list. Now I am up to $30. for guitar specific materials.
I am going to try to start staining the body this weekend and pore filing. I still have to fill the router bit oops on the upper front bout. Lots of items left to do.
I designed a logo, in memory of my Dad. His band was Jackie Greene and the Collegiates.
Kind of large, but at least that's done. I'll refine it next go 'round. I'm going to mix up stain and pore filler and see how that will work on the sample.
I sealed the back of the body with my DNA/
Flake shellac mix (except the covers, oops).
Then, I mixed up 30 drops of Transtint purple, and 40 drops of inkjet yellow and 20 drops of inkjet red, and went to town on the mahogany.
Over the past 3 days, I've put about 12 coats of French Polish over the behlens pore filler. It's starting to get pretty glossy.
I put on 3 more French Polish coats tonight. Might be enough, so I'll let it cure a few days, then move onto sanding the sides. I have to remove the burnished zone from the rabbeting bearing. Then seal the sides, and pore fill, and FP 16 coats there, too.
I can't pass by the body without adding another coat of French Polish. It's really so easy to do; only take 15 seconds per coat. OK - I have to leave it alone for a few days so I can polish it up and move onto the sides.
When you say French polish, do 6ou mean shellac ? I could never get my shellac so shiny, how do you achieve this ? And how do you polish after ?
French Polish is an old time technique of applying Dissolved Flake Shellac with Denatured Alcohol, via a lint free cloth dauber. Many layers of shellac applied very thin and quick, then final layers add either mineral oil or (I use) extra virgin olive oil applied to the charged dauber. That provides lubrication. Every layer of the shellac (lacquer) melts and flows the previous layer, but still builds up. I have used this for my woodturnings for about 10 years, and find it quite durable.
BTW: I discovered that the cloth dauber I have been using is too coarse and is actually removing the finish, so I've started over. No real biggy - it applies quickly.
Here's a pretty good reference video:
Thanks for the explanation! I probably don't do enough coats then. In the end I'm doing quick strokes with alcohol only. That brings up the sine a bit, but not the the point you have on the picture. I'll try the oil also.
Make sure you keep enough DNA/Shellac on the dauber, otherwise you'll remove finish. The oil acts to lubricate and the NDA acts to dissolve previous layer. Adding more shellac is miniscule each layer, but it does build. I've got about 16 coats on (again), and it is looking righteous. Very shiny, and deep color, due to the use of the Garnet Flake Shellac (cheapest, and darkest of the shellacs). The top flame maple I'll only use Super Blonde Flake Shellac, as it imparts very subtle amber tints.
Sorry for late reply - very busy weekend. Soccer games to referee (8 in all) and daughter's symphony concert, and UPDATE - I got a barely used guitar case for the future home of the future Les-Scrap-Paul. Only used on tour to Australia for the Richard Marx Band guitarist. Sweet case - Xtreme Gator LP case Black alligator tolex, and plush lining. YUMMY - motivation to make sure I finish this beast.
Here's a question - How many of you builders lay awake and run through the processes you're preparing to do? On the guitar, I mean.
Gosh, with no spare time this past week, I've been running through so many steps I have ahead of me, that I can barely get to sleep. But this week is my wife and my anniversary (I hand fabricated a nice silver and black star sapphire pendant for her), and Mother's Day is Sunday, and daughter has a big set of symphony concerts,and, and, and... You get the picture. And this weekend is a major soccer tournament to referee 11 games. If the rain holds off.
At least the back of the body is curing nicely, I still have to move onto the sides and remove the burnish marks from the non-rotating binding bit bearing. Then stain the sides, and start the FP on them.
Then onto the top - fix the booger from the binding rabbet bit blowout; start the burst staining, and FP the top.
Then there's the neck thingy - glue the fretboard to the neck, and re-press the frets while the back of the neck is still flat; shape the neck, and stain and FP it. WOOO. This guitar is a lot of steps.
Oh well, if it rains this weekend, I already repaired the blown spindle on the mower and cut the acre of lawn last night. So, I can work on guitar building if the Tournament get rained out.
That's my counting sheep...
There is a company here in OZ that makes a product called hard shellac which is the "French Polish" with an added polymer hardener. Works the same as the original but sets a bit harder than the original "French Polish"
UPDATE: No news on the guitar building front. I refereed 11 games over the past 3 days, and at my age that's quite a feat. Needless to say, I am sore. Plus I weedeated the acre for about an hour yesterday. I looked at the back of the body for a minute and brush off some sawdust that fell when I opened the garage door. It's pretty nice. And I did start to sand by hand the bearing burnish ring around the top of the body. That's going to be a tedious job, but it's got to be done. Maybe some progress tonight. Thanks for watching and waiting so patiently.
I not only stay up and think about it, I then go and read more threads to learn what I haven't figured out yet
I re-wrote my "TO-DO" list yesterday. It went from 19 remaining items from List #2 to 30 items on List #3. Wait, I forgot one - make that 31 items for List #3.