Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

I had to chuckle. I don't think he would have a cell phone. Only land line. Same number for years though. I'll PM you with it.

I forgot to look in my stash to see what parts I still had. I'll check later.

a

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Thank you bigguy12321. I hope we can work together to recreate that dual rail pickup. It would be very cool.

I spent the whole day cutting the inlay pockets and inlaying the trapezoids. The little Dremel router works pretty well. Any errors are ID-ten-T errors. It's ok for my 1st attempt. 0419191557_Burst01-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    BluesBlooded likes this.
  3. Engraver-60

Today, I will try to fret the board and not create a huge back bow. I have to remember to place the location pins through the 2nd and 14th fret slots to the neck.

I have about 60 feet of nickel silver fret wire I acquired way back 15 years ago, when I was gonzo. I thought I was going to build all kinds of guitars. I cut about 3 feet of that off to make the mini-strat-teles, and now another 30 inches for this one.

I think I'll use Freeman Keller's idea to shorten the tangs, and I'll triangle file the top of the slots to help eliminate some of the interference there. I do have a container of thin CA for my woodturning, so I'll probably use that to help prevent fret sprouting. My hammer selection - HMMM - maybe make a brass face for my planishing hammer? It's heavy and vintage, and it's controllable. I have to find a suitable work surface that's cleared so I can work effectively. That's the biggest challenge.

4. Engraver-60

OK, I made a brass removable face for my planishing hammer, and a slotted block with 12" radius to hold the fretwire while filing. I cut all of the frets leaving plenty to spare (forgot it's a 22 fret fretboard). I tried to use the clamped board with the slot to file off the tangs, but I thought I'd try something different. I went to the jewelry bench and decided to use a Mizzy wheel to trim off the tangs. Really much easier and quicker. The brass faced planishing hammer works really well with the fretboard flat against a bench anvil. Then about 5 frets into it, I remembered I'd forgotten to drill registration pin holes. So, I did that with a .5mm drill bit thru #6 and #19 fret slots. I decided not to use any CA glue. Luckily no back bow was created. I did have a stubborn fret at about #18; slot may not be deep enough. I can fix it if needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Barncaster likes this.
  5. Engraver-60

Here's the fretboard so far. 0420191243_Burst01.jpg 0420191257_Burst01-1.jpg

6. Engraver-60

I drilled the pilot holes in the headstock template, and made the cutout for the truss rod access in it. Then I translated the cutout opening onto the headstock overlay and custom fitted it to the headstock. It needed a bit more work to fit over my D-washer. Now I am gluing the headstock overlay onto the headstock. While that is curing, I made a rough dried bone (Petsmart) nut, and hammered the frets down snug. I am taking a vacation day from work tomorrow, and after weed eating the yard, I hope to make more progress on the fretboard, the body, and ..... the whole shabang.

Another OOPS moment - I just realized, that even though I did scrape the inlays relatively clean on the fretboard - I forgot to re-radius the fretboard before fretting. Too Late Now.

7. Engraver-60

Progress. Revised headstock template from yesterday's work; roughed out bone nut; headstock overlays glued and clamped; headstock overlay unclamped.

Then I have cut the binding channels with the Grizzly replacement rabbet bit on the PC 690LR router, and glued the bindings on the headstock.

Attached Files:

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.
  8. Engraver-60

Headstock binding, in process. 15559524986531283693552.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  9. Engraver-60

0422191202.jpg

Barncaster likes this.
  10. Engraver-60

Made a truss cover out of African mahogany. 0422191730.jpg

11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's looking good!! You're getting close.

Barncaster likes this.
  12. Engraver-60

Thanks, but it still seems like a long ways from being put together. My "TO-DO" List is getting knocked down, BUT, I keep adding new items,

I was going to try to make a set of maple HB rings, but thought better of it. Cream rings on the way from FleaBay. I may make a stainless steel bracket for the pickguard (which I need to thin down and stabilize with CA glue). And the rear covers (Toggle may be a hand engraved metal disk; main controls probably African Mahogany) still need to be made. Neck needs to be shaped before attaching the fretboard. I need to make a fret end file thingy (to shave the frets down to the binding at 30 degree angle). Then there's that whole finishing stuff. On and On it goes; where it stops nobody knows.

13. Engraver-60

I am so OCD about some things - I've misplaced or lost my Hand Engraved cheap Chinese pocket knife. It's literally a $2 knife from a store that used to be located at the Opry Mills Mall (prior to the 2010 Nashville Flood), but I spent about 20 hours hand engraving the sides to practice my art. The picture shows side 1, which I did about 2006, and then after a few years I mirror imaged it to the opposite side, and removed the background. It was a great piece to show off what I can do. But it's gone for now, and I have scoured everyplace that I've been since I realized it's missing. Maybe it'll turn up - but for now - (sigh)...
    upload_2019-4-24_6-21-58.png

guitarbuilder likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If you want to find it, just buy a new one. ;-) If you can't find the original thing, make sure you replace it with something more expensive.

Always works for me!

zippofan and peeweepete like this.
  15. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Now where did I leave my US Tele?

Oh, well...:rolleyes:

16. Engraver-60

Yes, I've been beside myself trying to figure out where it could be. But, since I hand engraved it, and I have about 300 others (sorry, but I inherited my parents' obsessive compulsive hoarding), I can easily make a new and improved one. It's just the principal of the thing. I do have a couple other potential places to look; like under my Cyber-Twin that is stashed in the corner of the bedroom. But, the 20 or so hours to recreate it now, are hard to come by with the kids and Les Scrap Paul in the mix.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m just sayin, as soon as you recreate it, the other one will turn up—especially if the new one comes out better. Possibly just getting a good start on it will be enough for the spell to work...

18. Engraver-60

I'll get on that right away, Jupiter. I have not been faithful to my arts lately - too busy banging fingers, and making sawdust.

Jupiter likes this.
  19. Engraver-60

OCD has been quelled. My friend found it in his Tesla 3 ; it flew out of my left pocket at light speed emitting quarks as it left the galaxy Sunday on a 0 to 60 in 3 seconds punch out.

20. Engraver-60

I made the rear covers out of the cut offs of the mahogany tonight. 0424191923_Burst01.jpg

Moodivarius, tigger and John Nicholas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.