Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Freeman: That's a great tip. I will probably use that idea. The watchmaker's pliers idea did not work - they won't cut the tangs; but I do have compound action sprue cutters, that will take most of the work out of that task.

I had a few minutes while proofing loaves of bread (40 minutes), so I made the neck profile templates. And now after preheating the oven to 400 degrees F., in another 40 minutes fresh bread should be done and ready to come out of the oven .

I also measured the distance from the last nut cut to the 12th fret on an inlayed fretboard that Guitarbuilder had sent me many years ago. It measured 314.0 mm x 2 = 628/25.4 = 24.724 scale length. Not sure what it's for, but maybe someday I can build a guitar to use that. It's already bound and side dotted, and inlayed. Too pretty to not use it. Thanks, again, Marty.

Now - back to the Bat Cave to try to frame up a a box to run the router on to create the pickup and neck planes.

Photos at the 11:00 News Break.

guitarbuilder and CraigB like this.
  2. Engraver-60

Neck profiles: 154982688690221666033.jpg

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi Engraver!..............with regard to your home-made Dremel tool, I've built several Dremel attachments over the years and what I do is to let a nut into the part I need to screw the Dremel into and then screw the tool into that.

I cleaned out our local industrial supplies stock of these nut years ago (about 6) and still have a couple left.

The nut /thread you need is a 3/4" BSF ( British Standard Fine) nut. Should be available over there as you still linger in "Imperial Measure Land"

Small chisel or another Dremel unit to cut out the housing and some epoxy to fix it in (make sure it is perpendicular )and Bob will indeed be your Uncle!

DC

4. Engraver-60

I made a box to plane the body, now jut have to make a sled 0210191456_Burst01.jpg

5. Engraver-60

No, sorry, BSF is not the same as UNF. Completely different thread configuration. The Dremel is 3/4-12 and US UNF is 3/4-16. It's more like our garden hose connections or tubing fittings for plumbing.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In regards to the fretboard. Gibson fretboards are not all alike. Stewmac boards are slotted to a scale of 24.562. The intonation added makes the scale the 24.75 that people mention. Vintage boards may have two different scales integrated on one board according to Gil Yaron in the Epic LP thread. I can't recall what fretboard I sent you when I sent that box o' stuff. That may have been 10 years ago...LOL.

My Gibson lp studio is 12 5/16" from nut to 12th fret. That rounds up to 313 mm or about 625 for the scale length.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. Davecam48

Maybe the guy at the industrial supplies place got it wrong? When I bought them I took a Dremel in with me and tried each nut that I got. I have about 5 Dremels and most of them live in their home-made jigs. If it's not BSF I don't know what it is then!

DC :confused:

8. Davecam48

Just did a few quick searches on the WWW and confirmed on two hobby / engineering sites that the nose thread is indeed 3/4" BSF

DC

9. Engraver-60

Yes Dave, that is correct. The nose threads are 3/4"-12 BSF, again not common in the US. It's in between the coarse 3/4-10 UNC and the fine 3/4-16 UNF. Dremel has the nose caps, but I am not sure of the price. I will contact them again and see if they can sell me a few.

Dog gone Dog - she woke me up 3 times last night to go out and do her business. Since we don't have a fenced yard, I have to get dressed, and put her on a leash and walk her to her favorite spots in the yard. If she wasn't so darned sweet, I'd lock her in a closet.

Makes for a lot of staring at the ceiling trying to go back to sleep. But also allowed my brain to re-process the steps I still have to complete on this build. My box is bass-ackward. Instead of raising the guitar body to make the angle (as I would have to as configured), I need to remove the cross braces at the bottom, and pivot the box frame to the angles. DOH. My angst of the plane cuttings has been the main reason I've been slow to progress. Oh, what the heck - just dig in and go for it. Tomorrow night!! Too many meetings and kid shuttling for tonight.

10. Engraver-60

No tracking info, then voila, it appears in the mail. Cheap Imported Pearloid!!!
    0212191756_Burst01-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Barncaster likes this.
  11. Engraver-60

I figure about 4.5" strip x 2" wide should be enough for all of the inlays on the neck. I should be able to get at least 2 guitars worth out of each sheet, and I have 4 sheets 4"x8 - for about $10 delivered (5 weeks to get to me).

12. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Mark, are these made of plastic? I always wondered how they would hold up to sanding / leveling the fretboard.

Do you have a link where you bought them, 10$ for 4 sheets, that is not an expensive experiment to try them out.

13. Engraver-60

BluesBlooded likes this.
  14. guitarbuilder

15. BluesBlooded

The Warmoth one is 1.9mm thick while the suntekstore is 0.7mm

16. Engraver-60

Yes, it's thin, but Rothco & Frost is also 0.08" thick and $20 per 4x8 sheet. I think it'll work, but I'll have to learn how to do it. Because it's a plastic, I may be able to heat it slightly with a heat gun, and bend to fit the contour of the neck, to help eliminate excessive sanding. I'll have to make a 24" diameter surface of steel to place the warmed pieces onto to form them. It doesn't have to be very large, but maybe a "T" shaped to place in a vise. We'll burn that bridge when we cross it.

17. BluesBlooded

Will be paying close attention. The price is sweet. I see myself using it for headstock inlay.

18. Engraver-60

Just measured thickness - 1.11 to 1.15 mm. 0213190700.jpg

BluesBlooded likes this.
  19. guitarbuilder

That celluloid is flammable and the edges burn with a router bit. It smells like mothballs too.

20. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can’t tell if that’s a selling point or not? ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.