Not again!! Elpee Standard to replace the one that got away.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to shoot pictures of where I am with the neck, etc. I've been very busy all weekend with the TN Association o Woodturners 31st Annual Symposium. 350 attendees and 4 world class turners, and 25 vendors. Great chance to help the club that has helped me become a better woodturner.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Barncaster likes this.
  2. Engraver-60

Well, I tried to slot one of the waterfall bubinga fret boards, and even though my fret scale plate is correct, it only works if the registration pin stays extended. I now have extra fret slots where they don't belong. Luckily I think I can either flip it and try again or safe-t-plane them off, and still have enough material to actually work. Darned miter box and saw have been in that box way too long. I decided I will flip the board (the slots will provide a larger glue surface?), and I'll CA glue the pin so it cannot move out of the way.

Note to SELF: It's aggravating, but this is a learning experience.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. Engraver-60

I re-slotted the fretboard on the other side. Better. That miter box jig is a pain to adjust. Tiny setscrews, and those silly u-shaped spacers - YUCK. The new design must be better, because there's no trace of this one on Stew-Mac's site.
    fretboard[1].jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Engraver-60

I tried to cut notches in the other side of the fret scale guide with a 1.5 mm cylinder bur in my Foredom. I used digital calipers from work (which are lab calibrated), but I am sure measuring between frets per the Traditional scale I had cumulative errors by the time I got to the 22nd fret. Even though the pictured fretboard above appears to have errors, I think I am going to go with it for now. I may opt to glue a full sized print onto the other board and just cut through the lines. Maybe for the other builds I can afford to get the Stew-Mac Gibson fret scales for the miter box. I still have options, luckily.

5. Engraver-60

Not too much progress on this in the past week (too many family things after work). But yesterday I checked the fretboard against a metal meter stick and, believe it or not, the overall distance from the nut line to the 22nd fret is right on the money. 449.50 mm (Traditional Scale on the Bartlett drawings). There's still no tracking info on the cheap Chinese pearloid sheets, but I thought I'd better start thinking of either buying (naaah) or making a Dremel router base, I've searched for DIY bases before, but this one came up yesterday. So I started cutting and drilling pieces to make it.
    This kid is funny (watch all the way till the end). My only concern is coming up with a way to create the threaded nozzle in the base without sacrificing the actual piece.

Short day today, because it's actually warm and sunny, and it's Super Bowl Sunday. My wife got us tickets to go again to the Franklin Theater to watch on their big screen. I don't care for football, but free big screen with the family - I can do that.

CraigB and Zepfan like this.
  6. Engraver-60

I've got a track on the Chinese Pearloid - it hit Chi-town a week ago. Maybe I'll see it soon. And the Dremel Co. CSR is sending me a housing cap (so I can complete the Dremel router base assembly soon). Slow progress is happening. I looked at the Scrapper last night and the flames really speak to me. Now I am getting anxious to make the neck planes and pickup planes happen.

After reading GuitarBuilder's "Let's build a Humbucker" thread, I am thinking maybe I'll try my hand at a couple of the Amp Parts kits, and but some Alnico 2 bar magnets to get less aggressive PAF type sound? Has anyone ever wound a rail pickup on this forum?

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Vlad that posts here as Deneb did those dual rail humbuckers for me.............there will be a thread here about that.

DC

8. Engraver-60

If you can link that thread, I'd appreciate it. Eventually, I plan to either get a NOS Pyramid dual rail for the bridge of the KEEPER, or make a similar pickup. I tracked down the maker of the original Pyramid pickups, but haven't contacted him yet. On my list of "Things To Do". Thanks ahead of time.

9. Davecam48

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a-pickup-winder…-pickup-tone-…my-experiment.592471/page-68

At post #1342 at the above is about where Vlad's article on the humbuckers he made for me starts!

DC

10. Davecam48

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a-pickup-winder…-pickup-tone-…my-experiment.592471/page-68#post-8581268

Entry 1342 in above .................Having computer problems, so hope you get this!

DC

11. Engraver-60

DC - WOW - That's a great thread. Thanks for the link. I sent a text yesterday to the man who made the Pyramid pickups and Alex Leifson's Pyramid guitar, but I have not heard back yet.

I have lots of steps to go through before I am ready for the pickups. Very limited on free time with kids still requiring me to shuttle them here and there.

12. Engraver-60

KUDOS to Dremel - They sent me a new housing cap on Monday, and it arrived yesterday. Even though they said my Dad's Woodworkers Kit 3950 was not a Dremel, it appears exactly like the 395 Dremel kit, and the cap fits. Router Base will be finished tonight. My NEW TO-DO List is about 20 points long. Lots of repeats from the last list - they never got done. Go Figure.
    todo2.jpg

Still waiting for the Cheap Chinese Pearloid to leave Chicago - 11 days now since it arrived there. How long DOES it take to go through Customs?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. Engraver-60

0208190812_Burst01.jpg I got the last item covered. 3D printed 12" radius x 12" long sanding beam.
    0208190812a_Burst01.jpg

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Engraver-60

I had it printed at work on a very large Stratosys printer - capable of 30" wide x 24" deep x 20" high. It's really stout and straight enough for a novice like me. I drew it in CATIA and sent as *.stl file to be printed, yesterday. On my desk this morning. I was going to make one of mahogany profiles glued together, but this saves a lot of time.
    profile.JPG

16. Engraver-60

I made a little bit of progress on this build today. I glued the new Dremel Housing Cap into the Router Base. The epoxy is really getting old and thick, so it takes every bit of 24 hours to harden up.

I also worked on my headstock overlay. I thought it was too large for the headstock, then I realized I'd purposely cut outside the lines (so it was too large). Whew. I also checked all of the fret slots on the fingerboard, and they're pretty good, distance from the nut to each slot is really close on all of them. Last night I watched about 3 of the Fletcher series of videos and they are very informative. I have a better understanding of how to narrow up the fretboard and be able to apply the bindings, now. So, even though I haven't really done much, I've knocked out a few items on my TO DO List. Tomorrow is another day.

I am also contemplating making a fret tang notching tool. I think I have a watchmakers pliers of some sort that might be able to be re-worked.

CraigB likes this.
  17. Engraver-60

Assembled the Dremel router base, and tested it. It works, but may need to be rebuilt more precisely.

0210190851a_Burst01.jpg 0210190857_Burst01.jpg 0210190900_Burst01.jpg 0210190911_Burst01.jpg 0210190851_Burst01.jpg

Pretty easy to use, but the 3 mm Krause bit from my Foredom kept sliding down into the wood (that's why it looks burnt in places).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    CraigB likes this.
  18. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

I made a tang notching tool from a pair of sheet metal nibblers I got from Radio Shack. RS is gone, but I'd imagine the internet can solve that.
    Cheers,
    Woody

19. Engraver-60

Another logo try: 0210191004_Burst01.jpg
    Still burning, so if I slow it down it should be fine, and install sawdust blower: 0210191004a_Burst01.jpg

Zepfan and CraigB like this.
  20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

My tang notching tool it remarkably simple. I cut a slot in a block of wood slightly bigger than the fret tang plus barb. I measure (by eye ball) the amount of tang that needs to be removed, put the fret in the block with just that amount sticking out, clamp to my work bench and take about four swipes with a file. Flip it over and do the other end, put it in the holder in the correct order. Takes the tang smoothly down to the underside of the fret - bingo!

IMG_2609.JPG

nosmo, CraigB, dickjonesify and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.