Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Not a tele question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 1bad914, Dec 5, 2017.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I am building a Les Paul, at the point where I have to decide if I am going to join the neck and body before finishing or after. To accurately drill the tailpiece and bridge I need the neck attached, but that makes finishing so much more of a pain. Anyone have any experience with this and an opinion? This guitar will be all black, including the neck and headstock.

2. johnboy99

johnboy99 TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2012
    florida
    Attach the neck and drill bridge / tailpiece holes before finishing.

RodeoTex and 2blue2 like this.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep do as much as you can before finishing.. anything you have to do after it's finished multiplies the probability that Murphy will strike exponentially.... that makes ya say things your Mom wished you'd never learn..

rk

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

5. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    Thx for the input. That was my inclination since it is a mono color I also thought the joints would look much cleaner if I could paint it after they were joined.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not gonna matter, due to the natural expansion and contraction of the wood, a crack of some sort will eventually appear..

rk

7. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Check out TenaciousP's '50s Style Les Paul Build right here in the Depot. And good luck with your project.
    Cheers,
    Woody

creekrat likes this.

8. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2016
    Michigan
    I went for it. After working with nothing but bolt on neck this set neck was a bit more nerve wracking. Decided to go ahead and drill and mount the tailpiece and bridge. In for a pound....I am happy. IMG_5003.JPG

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Am building one right now and it has a yellow maple top and I've stained the neck, back and sides a cherry. Black headstock.
    Yep all that and some hardware before you can join the neck. As Ron says you may use blasphemous language. I am.:confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.